Hymns

All registered users can post here.
Tuly

Hymns

Post by Tuly »

I am aware that we have a thread on "Uplifting worthy music", however I tought I start a Hymns thread. For the past six years or more we have sung hymns at our family home evenings from cover to cover in our hymn book. The blessings have been numerous; to know all of the hymns better, to feel the spirit that it brings to our FHE, and to edify us for the whole week. I came across this talk by President Russell M. Nelson - The Power and Protection of Worthy Music -
https://www.lds.org/ensign/2009/12/the- ... g=eng&_r=1
Music has a sweet power to promote unity and love in the family. Not only is it an important component of family home evenings, but it can also exert a continuing influence for good well beyond times when children are small. For my gift to our family for Christmas 2007, I prepared a compact-disc recording of musical memories. I sat at the piano and recorded a variety of music that I had sung or played to the children through the years. They liked it. Some of the grandchildren told me that the CD was “cool.”

Music has power to provide spiritual nourishment.9 It has healing power.10 It has the power to facilitate worship, allowing us to contemplate the Atonement and the Restoration of the gospel, with its saving principles and exalting ordinances. It provides power for us to express prayerful thoughts and bear testimony of sacred truths.

Music has power to overcome language barriers. In my experience some of the most moving congregational singing has been rendered in languages that are foreign to me. Yet it spoke strongly to my soul.
What are some of our favorite hymns? - I have many hymns I love,
As Now We Take the Sacramnet
Cast Thy Burden upon the Lord
Dearest Children, God Is Near You
Each Life That Touches Ours for Good
Faith of Our Fathers
Guide Us, O Thou Great Jehovah
Have I Done Any Good?
Home Can Be a Heaven on Earth
How Firm a Foundation
How Gentle God's Commands
I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day
I Know My Father Lives
If You Could Hie to Kolob...and many more!
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31