MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Birthdays, anniversaries and holidays.
Tuly

Re: MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Post by Tuly »

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf - Fill the World with Christ's Love - Ensign December 2014

https://www.lds.org/liahona/2014/12/fil ... 1&lang=eng
Jesus the Christ, who knew perfectly how to give, set for us the pattern for giving. To those whose hearts are heavy with loneliness and sorrow, He brings compassion and comfort. To those whose bodies and minds are afflicted with illness and suffering, He brings love and healing. To those whose souls are burdened with sin, He offers hope, forgiveness, and redemption.

If the Savior were among us today, we would find Him where He always was—ministering to the meek, the downcast, the humble, the distressed, and the poor in spirit. During this Christmas season and always, may we give to Him by loving as He loves. May we remember the humble dignity of His birth, gifts, and life. And may we, through simple acts of kindness, charity, and compassion, fill the world with the light of His love and healing power.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Elder Neal A. Maxwell - "O, Divine Redeemer" - Ensign October 1981

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... sten=audio
Whether descriptively designated as Creator, Only Begotten Son, Prince of Peace, Advocate, Mediator, Son of God, Savior, Messiah, Author and Finisher of Salvation, King of Kings—I witness that Jesus Christ is the only name under heaven whereby one can be saved! (See D&C 18:23.)

I testify that He is utterly incomparable in what He is, what He knows, what He has accomplished, and what He has experienced. Yet, movingly, He calls us His friends. (See John 15:15.)

We can trust, worship, and even adore Him without any reservation! As the only Perfect Person to sojourn on this planet, there is none like Him! (See Isa. 46:9.)

In intelligence and performance, He far surpasses the individual and the composite capacities and achievements of all who have lived, live now, and will yet live! (See Abr. 3:19.)

He rejoices in our genuine goodness and achievement, but any assessment of where we stand in relation to Him tells us that we do not stand at all! We kneel!

Can we, even in the depths of disease, tell Him anything at all about suffering? In ways we cannot comprehend, our sicknesses and infirmities were borne by Him even before these were borne by us. (See Alma 7:11–12; Matt. 8:17.) The very weight of our combined sins caused Him to descend below all. (See D&C 122:8.) We have never been, nor will we be, in depths such as He has known. Thus His atonement made His empathy and His capacity to succor us perfect, for which we can be everlastingly grateful as He tutors us in our trials. There was no ram in the thicket at Calvary to spare Him, this Friend of Abraham and Isaac.
How dare some treat His ministry as if it were all beatitudes and no declaratives! How myopic it is to view His ministry as all crucifixion and no resurrection! How provincial to perceive it as all Calvary and no Palmyra! All rejection at a village called Capernaum and no acceptance in the City of Enoch! All relapse and regression in ancient Israel and no Bountiful with its ensuing decades of righteousness!
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

The Gift of a Savior - President Henry B. Eyring - December 2010

https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/ ... r?lang=eng
Second, you can give Him the gift of doing for others what He would do for them. Many of you have already done that and felt His appreciation. It may have been visiting a lonely widower. It may have been joining with others in a project to help those in need.

There is a long list of possibilities in the book of Matthew. There we read words from our Redeemer, which we all hope to hear and to speak when we see Him after this life:

“Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

“When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

“Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

“And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”

In those words the Lord makes clear what gifts we might give Him out of our gratitude. Each act of kindness to anyone becomes a kindness to Him because He loves all of Heavenly Father’s children. And because that brings joy to Him, it also brings joy to His Father, to whom we owe thanks beyond measure.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Christmas Day

Words: Samuel Rickards
Source: Henry Vizetelly, Christmas With The Poets (London: David Bogue, 1851).

Though rude winds usher thee, sweet day,
Though clouds thy face deform,
Though nature's grace is swept away
Before thy sleety storm;
E'en in thy sombrest wintry vest,
Of blessed days thou art most blest.

Nor frigid air nor gloomy morn
Shall check our jubilee;
Bright is the day when Christ was born,
No sun need shine but He;
Let roughest storms their coldest blow,
With love of Him our hearts shall glow.

Inspired with high and holy thought,
Fancy is on the wing;
It seems as to mine ear it brought
Those voices carolling,
Voices through heaven and earth that ran,
Glory to God, good-will to man.

I see the shepherds gazing wild
At those fair spirits of light;
I see them bending o'er the child
With that untold delight,
Which marks the face of those who view
Things but too happy to be true.

There, in the lowly manger laid,
Incarnate God they see,
He stoops to take, through spotless maid,
Our frail humanity;
Son of high God, creations Heir,
He leaves His heaven to raise us there.

Through Him, Lord, we are born anew,
Thy children once again,
Oh, day by day our hearts renew,
That Thine we may remain;
And angel-like, may all agree,
One sweet and holy family.

Oft as this joyous morn doth come
To speak our Saviour's love,
Oh, may it bear our spirits home
Where He now reigns above;
That day which brought Him from the skies
So man restores to Paradise.

Then let winds usher thee, sweet day,
Let clouds thy face deform,
Though nature's grace is swept away
Before thy sleety storm;
E'en in thy sombrest wintry vest,
Of blessed days thou art most blest.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

The Christmas Tree

Words: Anonymous
Source: Christmas In Art And Song: A Collection of Songs, Carols and Descriptive Poems, Relating To The Festival of Christmas (New York: The Arundel Printing and Publishing Co., 1879).

A merry, merry Christmas!
To crown the closing year;
Peace and good-will to mortals,
And words of holy cheer!
What though the dreary landscape
Be robed in drifting snow,
If on the social hearthstone
The Christmas fire may glow?
What though the wind at evening
Blow harsh o'er land and sea,
If eager hands and joyful
Light up the Christmas Tree?
Soft falls its pleasing lustre
Upon the group around, --
On merry laughing childhood,
And age with glory crowned.
With eyes of rapture beaming,
Each little guest receives
Affection's token gleaming
From out the shining leaves.
The grand-dame greets her children,
And smiles their joy to see,
On Christmas eves of olden
So eager once was she.
With peace serene and beautiful
Her waning life shall shine,
And Christmas crowns the twelvemonths
With light and joy divine.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

2 Corinthians 9:15
Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

A Christmas Carol

Words: From "The Pickwick Papers," By Charles Dickens

Source: Christmas: Its Origin, Celebration and Significance as Related in Prose and Verse - Robert Haven Schauffler (1907)

I care not for Spring; on his fickle wing
Let the blossoms and buds be borne:
He woos them amain with his treacherous rain,
And he scatters them ere the morn.
An inconstant elf, he knows not himself,
Or his own changing mind an hour,
He'll smile in your face, and, with wry grimace,
He'll wither your youngest flower.

Let the summer sun to his bright home run,
He shall never be sought by me;
When he's dimmed by a cloud I can laugh aloud,
And care not how sulky he be;
For his darling child is the madness wild
That sports in fierce fever's train;
And when love is too strong, it don't last long,
As many have found to their pain.

A mild harvest night, by the tranquil light
Of the modest and gentle moon,
Has a far sweeter sheen for me, I ween,
Than the broad and unblushing noon,
But every leaf awakens my grief,
As it lieth beneath the tree;
So let Autumn air be never so fair,
It by no means agrees with me.

But my song I troll out, for Christmas stout,
The hearty, the true, and the bold;
A bumper I drain, and with might and main
Give three cheers for this Christmas old.
We'll usher him in with a merry din
That shall gladden his joyous heart,
And we'll keep him up while there's bite or sup,
And in fellowship good, we'll part.

In his fine honest pride, he scorns to hide
One jot of his hard-weather scars;
They're no disgrace, for there's much the same trace
On the cheeks of our bravest tars.
Then again I sing 'till the roof doth ring,
And it echoes from wall to wall—
To the stout old wight, fair welcome to-night,
As the King of the Seasons all!
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

The Christmas Story Is a Family Story - By Elder Richard J. Maynes

https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/ ... y?lang=eng
The Christmas story is a story of a family that connects heaven and earth. Each member of Jesus’s earthly family—Mary, Joseph, and Jesus—stands as supernal examples of God’s Christmas gift to all mankind. The Christmas story should spiritually motivate us to emulate the attributes of this holy family. This family was unified in seeking God’s glory; unified in serving one another; unified in fulfilling God’s will; and unified in sacrifice, obedience, and love. This holy family provides us a pattern of attributes that, when emulated by our own families, will enable us to enjoy the same blessings of unity and love they enjoyed.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Christmas is Christlike Love - Sister Bonnie Oscarson - December 2015

https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/ ... e?lang=eng
As we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ this season, let us also celebrate all that His birth symbolizes, especially the love. When we see shepherds, may we remember to be humble. When we see wise men, may we remember to be generous. When we see the star, may we remember the Light of Christ, which gives life and light to all things. When we see a tiny baby, may we remember to love unconditionally, with tenderness and compassion. May we open the doors of our hearts and reach out to those around us who are lonely, forgotten, or poor in spirit. As we contemplate the example and infinite sacrifice of the Savior, may we also consider how we can be more Christlike in our associations with family and friends, not just during this season but throughout the year.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

This is from Music and the Spoken Word -
“Fear Not”

During this joyful season, we reflect upon the greatest story ever told. It is not a long story, comprising only a chapter or two of scriptures, but it is so rich with meaning that with each reading we can find a new pearl of truth, a new insight that endears the story to us even more.

One of these precious (but less obvious) themes of the Christmas story is found in the words the angel spoke to young Mary: “Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God” (Luke 1:30). Later, we are told that Joseph the carpenter received similar direction when an angel appeared to him in a dream and said, “Fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife” (Matthew 1:20). And then shortly thereafter, on that holy night of the first Christmas, the angel proclaimed to the shepherds, “Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people” (Luke 2:10).

Time and again, as the story unfolds, the words fear not come as manna from heaven to humble souls hungering for comfort, confidence, guidance, and peace. What sweet and profound reassurance that must have been! What meaningful and empowering counsel it still is!

Those words, fear not, are needed today as much as ever. When faced with what seems arduous or impossible, fear not. When confronted with discouragement or difficulty, fear not. When challenged by doubt or disbelief, anger or antagonism, fear not.

That may be easier said than done. No question, we live in a fearful world, but the wonderful, true story of Christmas gives ample cause to “fear not.” It stands as a gentle reminder that the heavens are still open, that the Light of the World still shines, and that God’s greatest gift of love-sent to earth so long ago-still prevails. This season, with its bright lights and joyful hearts, is an annual affirmation of that love. The message and meaning of Christmas is joy and hope to the world, good tidings and goodwill toward all people-all of which can come into our lives if we choose faith and fear not.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

The Condescension of God and of Man - Elder Todd Christofferson - December 2014

https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/ ... n?lang=eng
Jesus was the Firstborn among spirits and the Only Begotten Son of God in the flesh. Although we are not begotten of God in the flesh, we are, just as Jesus, the spirit offspring of God. Thus, our birth into mortality is also something of a condescension, and like Christ’s, it has a noble purpose. Just as Jesus, we came down from heaven to do the will of Him that sent us and to achieve, with the grace of Christ, immortality and eternal life. Might it be important for us, as we seek to “ascend up on high,” also to descend below at least some things that we might comprehend more fully and become more Christlike? If Jesus needed certain experiences, might we also require some challenges and trials, “that [our] bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that [we] may know according to the flesh how to succor [one another] according to [our] infirmities”?
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

The Light and the Life of the World - President Henry B. Eyring - December 2014

https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/ ... d?lang=eng
As we have felt the pure love of Christ, we have felt more His love for others. Charity is the pure love of Christ. Whatever we feel now is only a beginning. The Lord promised each of us a glorious future this way: “That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day.”
Last edited by Tuly on Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

http://www.mormon.org/christmas/story

THE FIRST GIFT

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16
What the wise men brought Jesus is often referred to as the first gifts of Christmas. But in reality, the first gift of Christmas was given before they ever began their journey.
Can a gift given by a loving Heavenly Father over two thousand years ago still matter today? The answer is a heartfelt yes. Everything Jesus Christ did was for a brighter future for all of God’s children. Because of the first gift, redemption is real and death is not the end. Sadness is temporary and love is eternal. The stain of sin can be replaced by perfect forgiveness. As we embrace His teachings and follow the example of His perfect life, we can become more like Him, and experience true peace and joy. This Christmas season, let us remember that He is the gift.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

we read that Jesus was taken by his parents into egypt at a very young age, to escape from herod. his parents did this because an angel appeared to joseph on at least two occasions. i've wondered why this part of the story was significant enough for matthew to include it in his brief testimony of Jesus's birth and early childhood. matthew states that this occurred "that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son." this alludes to hosea 11:1. it seems significant that the prophecy refers to Jesus as "son", even though he was "father" during old testament times. Jesus did not truly become the "Son of God" until he was born into the world, having forgotten everything, just as we forget everything. as a baby, he did not remember the pre-existence, or having created the earth, or his dealings with the people on earth during old testament times, or that he would be the savior of the world. he was totally dependent on his parents, just as we are. he did not know that herod was seeking to destroy him. it was necessary that an angel inform his parents, so that they could carry him away into egypt to protect him. as Jesus grew older, he had to receive grace for grace, and he continued from grace to grace until he received a fulness of knowledge from Heavenly Father. by condescending to this mortal condition, Jesus understands us perfectly, and became a perfect example of how we can progress so that eventually we also receive a fulness from our Father.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Good observations! I think that we sometimes, perhaps inadvertently, depreciate the life of Jesus and His ultimate sacrifice when we assume that the temptations and trials of His life were easier for Him since He was the Son of God. There's a sense that the tests weren't strenuous for Him because He likely was given all the answers, or that His "powers" made Him a sort of superhero who could unconsciously deflect the cares of the world. We know so little about His earlier years, so we might not consider the experiences and lessons that helped prepare Him for what He was to do. However, even recognizing that there was a preparatory period in His life, it's important also to recognize that He was not merely acted upon by "preparatory powers," but that His choices, actions, behavior, and desires were active factors contributing to who He became while on this earth.

Our Heavenly Father is similarly preparing each of us for who we are to become. Our agency—our choices, actions, behavior, and desires—will steer us toward that ultimate destiny. If we want to be like Jesus, we must try to be like Him.

Jesus once was a little child,
A little child like me;
So, little children,
Let's you and I
Try to be like him,
Try, try, try.

(James R. Murray)
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald