MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Birthdays, anniversaries and holidays.
Tuly

Re: MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Post by Tuly »

A Savior Is Born - https://www.mormon.org/christmas?cid=HP ... _xLIDyL1-A_ - Great way to start this Christmas season.

Isaiah 9:6 and 2 Nephi 19:6 is quoted in that short video.

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder; and his name shall be called, Wonderful, Counselor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I have learned to love and understand Isaiah. Isaiah is always perfect for me at Christmas time and every day.
Isaiah 9:7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Hope all of you are enjoying the pre-Christmas excitement that should be joyful and not an overwhelming time. I love this talk by Elder Jeffrey Holland - Ensign December 1977 -
“Maybe Christmas Doesn’t Come from a Store”

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1977/12/mayb ... e?lang=eng

Perhaps this provides an important distinction we should remember in our own holiday season. Maybe the purchasing and the making and the wrapping and the decorating—those delightfully generous and important expressions of our love at Christmas—should be separated, if only slightly, from the more quiet, personal moments when we consider the meaning of the Baby (and his birth) who prompts the giving of such gifts.

As happens so often if we are not careful, the symbols can cover that which is symbolized. In some of our lives the manger has already been torn down to allow for a discount store running three-for-a-dollar specials on gold, frankincense, and myrrh.

I do not feel—or mean this to sound—like a modern-day Scrooge. The gold, frankincense, and myrrh were humbly given and appreciatively received, and so they should be, every year and always. As my wife and children can testify, no one gets more giddy about the giving and receiving of presents than I do.

But for that very reason, I, like you, need to remember the very plain scene, even the poverty, of a night devoid of tinsel or wrapping or goods of this world. Only when we see that single, sacred, unadorned object of our devotion—the Babe of Bethlehem—will we know why “tis the season to be jolly” and why the giving of gifts is so appropriate
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Love this, from Howard W. Hunter - The Gifts of Christmas - Ensign December 2002

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2002/12/the- ... s?lang=eng

This Christmas, mend a quarrel. Seek out a forgotten friend. Dismiss suspicion and replace it with trust. Write a letter. Give a soft answer. Encourage youth. Manifest your loyalty in word and deed. Keep a promise. Forgo a grudge. Forgive an enemy. Apologize. Try to understand. Examine your demands on others. Think first of someone else. Be kind. Be gentle. Laugh a little more. Express your gratitude. Welcome a stranger. Gladden the heart of a child. Take pleasure in the beauty and wonder of the earth. Speak your love and then speak it again.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I love this Christmas season and there is so much for all of us to be grateful. I hope we are not letting the business of the season overwhelm us but that through the service we provide to others we will find peace and joy. I am grateful for the 25 days of service that the church has put together for us
#LIGHTtheWorld - they are all very doable acts of kindness. We made an advent calendar to help remind us. Check out the short videos at lds.org. So today's is -

December 1st - Jesus lifted other's burdens and so can you. - Matthew 11:28-30
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

December 2nd - Jesus honored His parents and so can you - Luke 2:46-51
I'm grateful that I get to talk to my mother every day and unfortunately know that I wont have that privilege for all the days of my life.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

December 3rd - Jesus helped others to see and so can you - John 9:6-7
I probably have not always been happy when someone has helped me see the need to improve in one of my many imperfections, but I am grateful when I have had the courage to repent and change.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

December 4th - Jesus worshipped His father and so can you - John 17:1-2 - I loved Elder Dean M. Davies talk this past General Conference -
The Blessings of Worship
True worship transforms us into sincere and earnest disciples of our beloved Master and Savior,Jesus Christ. We change and become more like Him.
It is my witness that true worship will transform ordinary Church meetings into extraordinary spiritual feasts.
Last edited by Tuly on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Thanks for posting these, Mom. They are a good reminder to me. We have been following along as a family and have had some nice discussions.
Widerstehe doch der Sünde
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

December 5th - Jesus healed the sick and so can you - Matthew 8:2-3
Your very welcome Bryn. I have witnessed many miracles from Priesthood blessings that have healed many of you. Also because of some of the illnesses I have in this life I have had more compassion to those who also struggle with illnesses.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

December 6th - Jesus read the scriptures and so can you - Luke 4: 16-18
We are so blessed to have the scriptures so accessible to us. Unfortunately I do know what a day without scriptures is like and because of that I don't go a day without them. The scriptures are many times more important to me than food.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

December 7th - Jesus fed the hungry and so can you. - Matthew 14:19
Food has been an important way to share love in our home as most of you know. But we have been grateful to feed those who struggle with spiritual hunger too. Our temple prep calling ( all church callings) has been so wonderful to help us and those who need to be fed spiritually.
Last edited by Tuly on Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

December 8th - Jesus prayed for others and so can you - Matthew 6:9-13
I don't think we could ever pray too much we are told to "pray always". I love the many opportunities I get to pray daily. To communicate to Heavenly Father throughout my day helps me clearly focus on Jesus Christ.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

December 9th - Jesus visited the lonely and so can you. - Matthew 25:35-36
I have been blessed to have two widows in our neighborhood who I consider my friends, Betty and Arlene. I love visiting them and "checking up" on them once in a while. They are both strong, independent women. Always happy to see me when I visit them.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

December 10th - Jesus helped people to walk and so can you. - John 5:5-9
When I'm with Mami I get to be her "cane" since she walks with a cane now. I love being her "cane".