MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Birthdays, anniversaries and holidays.
Cousin Alex Hall

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Post by Cousin Alex Hall »

We'll have a new little one arriving at our house sometime early in the summer :D
You refer to the prophecy of the pastry that will bring Balance to the Force. And you believe it's this.. Donut?
Our possibly neglected blog - My blog of probably mostly my art
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

congrats!
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Edward

Post by Edward »

Congratulations! Is that his mystical symbol of good fortune? Cool! May it smile on him/her forever!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

edward, that was one of the funniest posts i've ever read. that seriously cracked me up.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Angela

Post by Angela »

oh edward, you're a funny guy!
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Yahoo!!! congrats!! I love baby news :purebliss:
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Cousin Alex Hall

Post by Cousin Alex Hall »

Well, what can I say? We selected that star design for our wedding quilt, and wedding quilts do have properties of mystical good fortune..

And Angela, that you said to Edward "..you're a funny guy!" makes me feel a serendipitous affinity with Edward, as I am famous in my family for saying that.. about myself. When I was three years old.

And Edward, that was very funny.
You refer to the prophecy of the pastry that will bring Balance to the Force. And you believe it's this.. Donut?
Our possibly neglected blog - My blog of probably mostly my art
Steve

Post by Steve »

Congratulations, Alex. Hurray for babies!

So what does the star design represent?
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Tuly

Re: MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Post by Tuly »

Merry Christmas!! to you all. This is probably my favorite Christmas Carol.
"In the Bleak Midwinter" is a Christmas carol.

Although written by Christina Rossetti before 1872, it was published posthumously in Rossetti's Poetic Works in 1904 and became a Christmas carol after it appeared in The English Hymnal in 1906 with a setting by Holst.

According to the website CyberHymnal, Rossetti wrote these words in response to a request from the magazine Scribner's Monthly for a Christmas poem.

In 2008 Harold Darke's setting was named the best Christmas carol in a poll of some of the world's leading choirmasters and choral experts.

In verse one, Rossetti describes the physical characteristics of the Incarnation.

In the bleak midwinter
Frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron,
Water like a stone;
Snow had fallen,
Snow on snow,
Snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter,
Long ago.

In verse two, Rossetti contrasts Christ's first and second coming.

Our God, heaven cannot hold him,
Nor earth sustain;
Heaven and earth shall flee away
When he comes to reign;
In the bleak midwinter
A stable place sufficed
The Lord God incarnate,
Jesus Christ.

The third verse dwells on Christ's birth and describes the simple surroundings, in a humble stable and watched by beasts of burden.

Enough for him, whom Cherubim
Worship night and day
A breast full of milk
And a manger full of hay.
Enough for him, whom angels
Fall down before,
The ox and ass and camel
which adore.

Rossetti achieves another contrast in the fourth verse, this time between the incorporeal angels attendant at Christ's birth with Mary's ability to render Jesus physical affection. This verse is omitted in the Harold Darke setting.

Angels and archangels
May have gathered there,
Cherubim and seraphim
Thronged the air;
But his mother only,
In her maiden bliss,
Worshipped the Beloved
With a kiss.

The final verse may be the most well known and loved. Here, Darke repeats the last line in his setting.

What can I give him,
Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd
I would bring a lamb,
If I were a wise man
I would do my part,
Yet what I can I give Him —
Give my heart.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Edward

Post by Edward »

Merry Christmas everyone!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
John

Post by John »

Just for me and my memories.
Indulge me.

Link

And there's no emoticon to illustrate my feelings about this:

Link

What sweeter music can we bring
Than a carol, for to sing
The birth of this our heavenly King?
Awake the voice! Awake the string!

Dark and dull night, fly hence away,
And give the honor to this day,
That sees December turned to May.

Why does the chilling winter’s morn
Smile, like a field beset with corn?
Or smell like a meadow newly-shorn,
Thus, on the sudden? Come and see
The cause, why things thus fragrant be:
‘Tis He is born, whose quickening birth
Gives life and luster, public mirth,
To heaven, and the under-earth.

We see him come, and know him ours,
Who, with his sunshine and his showers,
Turns all the patient ground to flowers.
The darling of the world is come,
And fit it is, we find a room
To welcome him. The nobler part
Of all the house here, is the heart.

Which we will give him; and bequeath
This holly, and this ivy wreath,
To do him honour, who’s our King,
And Lord of all this revelling.

What sweeter music can we bring,
Than a carol for to sing
The birth of this our heavenly King?

Robert Herrick (1591-1674)
Last edited by John on Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Lily

Post by Lily »

Few things are sweeter than that boys choir. Beautiful.
Steve

Post by Steve »

:love:
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Merry Christmas!! everyone - We miss all of you who could not make it home.

THE LIVING CHRIST
THE TESTIMONY OF THE APOSTLES
THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS
THE FIRST PRESIDENCY THE QUORUM OF THE TWELVE
January 1, 2000

As we commemorate the birth of Jesus Christ two millennia ago, we offer our testimony of the reality of His matchless life and the infinite virtue of His great atoning sacrifice. None other has had so profound an influence upon all who have lived and will yet live upon the earth.
He was the Great Jehovah of the Old Testament, the Messiah of the New. Under the direction of His Father, He was the creator of the earth. “All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made” (John 1:3). Though sinless, He was baptized to fulfill all righteousness. He “went about doing good” (Acts 10:38), yet was despised for it. His gospel was a message of peace and goodwill. He entreated all to follow His example. He walked the roads of Palestine, healing the sick, causing the blind to see, and raising the dead. He taught the truths of eternity, the reality of our premortal existence, the purpose of our life on earth, and the potential for the sons and daughters of God in the life to come.
He instituted the sacrament as a reminder of His great atoning sacrifice. He was arrested and condemned on spurious charges, convicted to satisfy a mob, and sentenced to die on Calvary’s cross. He gave His life to atone for the sins of all mankind. His was a great vicarious gift in behalf of all who would ever live upon the earth.
We solemnly testify that His life, which is central to all human history, neither began in Bethlehem nor concluded on Calvary. He was the Firstborn of the Father, the Only Begotten Son in the flesh, the Redeemer of the world.
He rose from the grave to “become the firstfruits of them that slept” (1 Corinthians 15:20). As Risen Lord, He visited among those He had loved in life. He also ministered among His “other sheep” (John 10:16) in ancient America. In the modern world, He and His Father appeared to the boy Joseph Smith, ushering in the long-promised “dispensation of the fulness of times” (Ephesians 1:10).
Of the Living Christ, the Prophet Joseph wrote: “His eyes were as a flame of fire; the hair of his head was white like the pure snow; his countenance shone above the brightness of the sun; and his voice was as the sound of the rushing of great waters, even the voice of Jehovah, saying: “I am the first and the last; I am he who liveth, I am
he who was slain; I am your advocate with the Father” (D&C 110:3–4).
Of Him the Prophet also declared: “And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives!
“For we saw him, even on the right hand of God; and we heard the voice bearing record that he is the Only Begotten of the Father—
“That by him, and through him, and of him, the worlds are and were created, and the inhabitants thereof are begotten sons and daughters unto God” (D&C 76:22–24).
We declare in words of solemnity that His priesthood and His Church have been restored upon the earth—“built upon the foundation of . . . apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone” (Ephesians 2:20).
We testify that He will someday return to earth. “And the glory of the Lord shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together” (Isaiah 40:5). He will rule as King of Kings and reign as Lord of Lords, and every knee shall bend and every tongue shall speak in worship before Him. Each of us will stand to be judged of Him according to our works and the desires of our hearts.
We bear testimony, as His duly ordained Apostles—that Jesus is the Living Christ, the immortal Son of God. He is the great King Immanuel, who stands today on the right hand of His Father. He is the light, the life, and the hope of the world. His way is the path that leads to happiness in this life and eternal life in the world to come. God be thanked for the matchless gift of His divine Son.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

This was the Christmas newsletter I sent out this year. The format looked much better in hard copy.

Huntington Family Stats, 2010

1 year of service by John and Tuly working as ordinance workers at the Newport Beach Temple

1 year teaching by John as adjunct faculty in Saddleback College’s Music Department

1 stopover by John to visit Betsy and Micah in Chicago

3 years with the Orange County Mormon Choral Organization for John, Tuly, Bryn, Emma, & Margaret

5 children called to serve missions

6 grandchildren blessing the family (2 more expected) - Abigail June Mott, born November 17th, 2010

7 children now graduated from Mission Viejo High School – congratulations to Emma, the last!

7 days in October spent by Tuly and Emma in New York, shopping and prepping for college

7 years of service completed as Stake Public Affairs Director; Tuly released in July

8 years of service, John directing at The Hill Cumorah Pageant, Palmyra NY

18 years of volunteer service completed by John and Tuly at Mission Viejo High School

27 Robert Stoddard carols now performed at the LA Temple Visitors’ Center, newly re-opened

34 years of marriage for John and Tuly

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous, Happy New Year,
We echo the cry of the great Henry Wadsworth Longfellow anthem:

1. I heard the bells on Christmas day
Their old familiar carols play,
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.
2. I thought how, as the day had come,
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along th’ unbroken song
3. And in despair I bowed my head:
“There is no peace on earth,” I said,
“For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.”
4. Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:
“God is not dead, nor doth he sleep;
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men.”
5. Till, ringing, singing, on its way,
The world revolved from night to day,
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime,