Our Genealogy/Family History Website

Discuss genealogy and family history here.
Ian
Site Admin

Our Genealogy/Family History Website

Post by Ian »

i started to look into some of the software that is out there, that we might use for the genealogy/family history portion of this website. This is probably the most important reason for having this site in the first place, so i want to implement it in the best way possible. so far i have found three options:

The Next Generation ("TNG")
PHPGEDView
PHPMyFamily

these programs would allow us to create a dynamic website, which would display pedigree charts, etc. we could work on it and contribute to it.

so anyone out there who is willing to look into this with me, feel free to add input. if there are better options than the three i listed, please let us know. it would take a while to write our own php script, so i think it would be best to use something that's already out there, and customize it for our site.

also, please provide suggestions of features you would like to see. for example, what you want it to look like, the use of pictures, etc.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

i should add, if you know of any good personal family history websites, please provide a link! it would be great if we could find some inspiration somewhere.
Steve

Post by Steve »

My dad's a guru...I'll see if he has any suggestions.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

here's an update (if anybody cares?): i'm leaning toward "the next generation of genealogy" by a guy named darrin lythgoe. he's a byu computer science grad living in sandy, utah. here is the link to his website: http://lythgoes.net/genealogy/software.php

it seems to be the best thing out there. many family websites use it. i think we would want to customize it heavily. but it should provide a good framework. if mom and dad give the ok, we'll start moving forward.

:computer:
John

Post by John »

I'm deeply grateful to Ian for the many many hours he's spending creating such a beautiful site for storing, sharing, and expanding our family history. We hope all of you will eventually join in the work.

Here's a little pickle to share: The image that Ian used for the Genealogy homepage, he obtained from a BYU archive site that has an article on William Huntington, the original Huntington convert to the church. The site identifies the image as that of William. I have known that photograph all my life from a page of portraits in my Huntington grandparents' book of remembrance (now in my care here at home in California) which identifies that image as Oliver Boardman Huntington, William's son, and my great-great-grandfather.

I contend, since my grandmother and grandfather Huntington knew Oliver Boardman closely and personally, and placed his portrait among others of their progenitors in a photographic pedigree chart as they did, that I am inclined to give more authority to my grandparents' personal knowledge than to the BYU library's ID. We might well at least ask the BYU library to clear up the confusion for us. I would like to know how it was that they came to identify the image as William's. Theirs may be a more definitive source, but because of our direct and personal link to the image, I'm inclined to be skeptical until proven wrong, at which time, I'll be happy to bend. After all, I would be thrilled to know that we have an image of the first of our Huntington ancestors to embrace the gospel.

An additional question in my mind is the fact that the image appears to me to have the qualities of a photograph as opposed to a daguerretype. William died destitute in 1846 at Mt. Pisgah, making it seem unlikely to me that photography of this sort may have been available during his lifetime and in his surroundings. Oliver Boardman Huntington died in 1905. The nature of the image, in my own opinion, tends to support the idea that it is a photographic portrait of Oliver, taken at such a time of his life as to make him identifiable to his oldest grandson, George Augustus, and George's wife, Bessie. Indeed, we have in our possession a photocopy of a very warm personal letter addressed to George and Bessie in Oliver B.'s own hand to confirm their intimate relationship.

Further evidence for my contention that the image is of someone later in the nineteenth century than 1846 is the nature of the clothing. The style of collar on both the shirt and the jacket are distinctly of the later part of the century, and not consistent with an earlier mode of dress. The styling of the hair is also questionable.

Any thoughts?
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Edward

Post by Edward »

Are you a detective? Because man, this sounds like a Poirot mysterty to me. I bet I could get a grant just to study this kind of stuff! BYU loves this kind of thing. Maybe you should conctact Professor Huntington here on campus; he's one of the main Church History professors and specializes in church history. Maybe he can aid in this investigation.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

here is the link for the picture in question:

http://hbllmedia2.lib.byu.edu/~imaging/ ... whdfs.html

at the bottom of the page, there is a link labeled "Portrait". that's where i got the picture. it looks like the website is part of an exhibit by the byu library. here is the link to the whole exhibit:

http://hbllmedia2.lib.byu.edu/~imaging/into/

like dad said, the same picture is in his grandmother's personal family history book (labeled as Oliver Boardman Huntington). maybe somebody should go to the library and ask someone in the special collections and manuscripts department. some hard evidence would be nice.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

by the way, here is a brief biography of william huntington, written by his son, oliver boardman huntington (link: http://www.boap.org/LDS/Early-Saints/WHuntington.html)
Biographical sketch and obituary notice of William Huntington

whose parents were born in Tollard township and county, Connecticut.

His fatherÕs name was William Huntington; his motherÕs before marriage was Presendia Lathrop.

Soon after the close of the Revolutionary War they moved to New Grantham, Chesire county, New Hampshire where William Huntington was born March 28, 1784. In 1804 they moved to the state of New York, (Watertown, Jefferson country) and were among the first settlers in the county.

In 1806, he returned to New Hampshire and married Zina Baker, daughter of Dr. Oliver Baker December 28, 1806. Soon after he married he moved to Watertown, New York, where he lived and prospered in temporal blessings until 1811 when he sold out and the following year war was declared with Great Britain, which proved fatal to his prospects, and coupled with much sickness in the family reduced them very low in pecuniary circumstances. His service in the army was done with the fife, he was in one battleÐthat of Sacketts Harbor.

In 1816 Providence smiled on him again, and about the same time he experienced religion, having an honest heart before God and earnestly enquiring of the Lord as to the truth and reality of the history and doctrines of the Bible; and from that time the spirit of the Lord began to show him the right way to live and what was coming on the earth. First he was shown that intoxicating drinks were not pleasing to God and were conducive of evil temporally and spiritually. He left them off and joined the Presbyterian church. God next shewed him that tobacco was not good for him and he left off its use. Then his mind began to be clear and his view of the world was changed by faithful and sincere prayer to know who and what was right. He received an answer that none were right, but that he should live to see the true church of Christ, having the gifts and graces as did the church in ChristÕs day.

He left the Presbyterians and proclaimed boldly what God had sown himÐthat all had gone astrayÐdarkness covered the people, and that the church of Christ came it would be adorned with the gifts of healing, prophecy, etc. From that time he became an outcast in society in all these prayers principles and faith his wife was one with him.

In the winter of 1832/33 he first heard of "Mormonism" read the Book of Mormon and believed it with all his heart and preached it almost every day, to his neighbors, and everybody he could see, or had the privilege to chat with until 1836 when he and his wife with two of their children were baptized by Elder Dutcher.

His house was a meeting house and a home for all the Saints. On the 8th of May, 1836, he sent two of his children and their families, Dimick B. Huntington and Presendia to Kirtland, Ohio, waiting himself only to sell out.

October 1, 1836, he started and moved to Kirtland with quite a number of saints under the direction of Orson Pratt and Luke L. Johnson; he was ordained an Elder previous to starting. He arrived in Kirtland on he eleventh, bought a farm of Jacob Bump and paid him three thousand dollars and was defrauded out of it, so that in little over one year he was compelled to labor by the day for a living.

In the breaking up at Kirtland the apostates harassed him with law suits until he saw his children often go to bed crying for bread near two weeks lived on greens. His house was a hiding place for Father Joseph Smith, Hyrum, Samuel and Carlos while trying to escape from the persecution in Kirtland. The mummies were hid in his house a long time. Many of the pursued and persecuted found a retreat there and a hiding place from apostate persecution.

In Kirtland, Ohio, he received his washing and anointing in the Temple and was ordained a High Priest and High Councillor, in which office he acted until the Church left there. He lost five hundred dollars in the Kirtland bank.

He started May 21, 1838, for Far West, where he arrived about the 11th of July and by counsel, moved to Diahman, he drove team for Oliver Snow to get his clothing hauled, where he was chosen Commissary for the brethern who armed for defense, and after the mobs had driven and hemmed in the scattering brethern, he was commissary to all the people of that place and had charge of all the provisions of the town. After the surrender of the Church in Missouri he was foreman of the committee chosen to confer with the committee chosen by the mob. These two committees were representatives of, and authorized to transact all business for, their respective communities. He was also one of a committee chosen to see to the poor and get them moved out of the state of Missouri, which they did to the complete satisfaction of all the church, though with no ordinary exertion, and stayed himself till about the last man and family. His was one of the first families that moved to Commerce afterward called Nauvoo where he arrived May 14, 1839.

About the first of July his whole family was taken sick, and on the 8th his wife died of sickness caused by hardship and exposure. At this time he suffered for the comforts of life.

At a conference held on the first Tuesday in October 1839, he was again chosen to the office of High Counselor.

August 28, 1840, he married Lydia Partridge, window of Bishop Edward Partridge, whose maiden name was Lydia Clisbee. As High Counselor he helped lay one of the cornerstones of the Nauvoo temple on the 8th of March 1841.

He commenced immediately upon the walls of the Temple and worked until the basement was done, then cut stone until the cap stone was laid, and by particular request the stones which he cut were laid in a column from the basement to the top of the chimney at the south west corner.

As soon as the Temple was ready for giving endowments he administered therein until the close. He continued a member of the High Council until the expulsion from Nauvoo. In the move from Nauvoo he was appointed captain of a company of fifty wagons which he helped make, and fit up the company, which was subsequently disorganized and he was appointed a captain of ten in Amasa M. LymanÕs company until the settlement of Mount Pisgah, where he was left to preside over that stake or branch with Charles C. Rich and Ezra T. Benson for his counselors.

At this place his labors were extreme and unremitting for the good and welfare of the people, and the comfort of the sick of which there were a great many, and on the 9th of August, 1846, he was taken sick with chills and fever of which he died at ten minutes before eleven a.m. on the 19th of August, 1846. He died without a struggle or a groan.

He was the father of six sons and four daughters, and at the time two daughters and four sons in the Church.

In life he was loved by all the saints. His love and zeal for the cause of God were unsurpassed by any. His judgement was respected and his conduct never questioned; he never had a trial or difficulty with any person in the Church.
Lili

Post by Lili »

I gotta agree with John (but then, I was always told that it was a pic of Oliver, too)...but anyway, William was a contemporary of Joseph Smith, and I seriously seriously doubt that it is he in the photo (how old was he when he died? Is the man in this photo too old to even be William?!). Guess we'd better march in to BYU and set them straight!
"I feel strongly that the visual arts are of vast importance. Of course, I could be prejudiced. I am a visual art!"
-Kermit the Frog
Aunt Betsy

Post by Aunt Betsy »

Wow, I composed a response to John's assertion about the photo in Grandma's Book of Remembrance, but it has disappeared! I presume I must have hit a wrong key and accidentally not posted it (or some such problem), but I only just discovered that it's not here. It's not someplace else, is it? It's so strange!

Anyway, what I said is that the photo in question is definitely of Oliver Boardman Huntington (and NOT William). The same photograph is labeled as such in Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah, and in other resources. As John said, our grandfather knew him personally, and so did Grandma (tho' for a shorter time).

Another thing I said in my mysteriously lost message is that from personal experience I know that librarians are fallible, and capable of BIG mistakes.
Un oeuf is enough.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Check out Mariano Tamayo's picture - the father of grandma Trewin. In our genealogy section.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Re: Our Genealogy/Family History Website

Post by Tuly »

Dad and I have logged in to new.familysearch.org thanks to our friend Luana. I have two names that need work so far. Not all temples are ready for this information. If yours is ready check out the Huntingtons, Penarandas and Tamayos and all the other wonderful folks that we are blessed to have as family. Warning it can be addictive!!
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

our site has been updated: http://huntingtonfamily.org/genealogy/
HuntingtonGdaughter

Post by HuntingtonGdaughter »

Hello from a distant cousin~
Thank you for the web-site, I am in the process of transcribing every Huntington line into my data base, my old site is down and I have yet to put up another. For the most part our take on your line was almost exact, only difference that stood out was the birthdate of John Huntington b.22 Feb 1724 Tolland, CT (s/o John 4 Jul 1691 Norwich, CT & Thankful Warner 1696 Windham, CT - s/o Constable John 15 Mar 1666 Norwich, CT & Abigail Lathrop May 1667 New London, CT - s/o Christopher 25 Jul 1624 Saybrook, England & Ruth Rockwell 16 Aug 1633 Windsor, CT - s/o Simon 7 Aug 1583 & Margaret Baret 29 Sep 1595) as his siblings proceed him: Thankful b.16 Mar 1726, Samuel b.14 Jul 1728, Andrew b.17 Sep 1730, Abigail b.1 Oct 1732, Deborah b.21 May 1736. Will you let me know if my data is incorrect?
I am happy to see other Huntingtons with a quest to clear up obvious errors (which is why I am in this never-ending fishing expedition). My line broke off into Canada after the death of William's father and I have recently submitted dna testing from a male in my family to help get some answers. Doesn't sound like your line here had much need for that. I like that new website version, and the thumbnail picture options in the actual pedigree tree.
Best of wishes~
TinaMarie (Huntington) Burns
Colorado
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

thanks for the info! as you probably noticed, i have yet to transcribe most of our family group sheets onto this website. i also have yet to include our sources. the only discrepancies i see from your information are in the year of john huntington's birth (as you pointed out) and in the year of his sister's (Thankful) birth. our records indicate that she was born in 1727. everything else seems to seems to agree with your record. we'll double-check our sources for this information, and get back to you later tonight or tommorrow.

are you going to create a new website in the future? i would be interested to see it.