Post by Edward »

No you fool! Animals and words! Aye.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Ian
Site Admin

Re: Presidential Hopefuls

Post by Ian »

animals and words are your deepest passions?
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Edward: a mother, father, and their young are called a family (by science)
Well, if science is calling it a family, it must be a family.

It's not ignorance, Edward, that feeds my opinion on this matter. Are you aware of a scripture or conference talk that refers to animal families? I've seen scriptures that mention the two in the same verse, but always distinguishing the two (see 3 Nephi 6:1 and Ether 1:41).

I don't want to lose the spirit of what I was saying to the taxonomy technicalities of science. If you feel that extending the word to include beast and bird is a critical matter in this conversation, by all means, go for it.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

We are in that year again. I feel that Trump or Clinton are NOT the choices I feel comfortable supporting. Tomorrow for those who can, can we fast and pray for a presidential candidate that will lead this country the way the constitution dictates. I might be simplifying my concern but I have complete faith in the power of fasting and prayer.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
James

Post by James »

Steve

Post by Steve »

I disagree with that old campaign ad. I will not vote for Donald Trump, but I definitely would not vote for Hillary Clinton or Bernie Sanders either.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Utah caucus today my children. "Be wise as serpents."
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Who said this?
If you vote for the lesser of two evils you are still voting for evil and you will be judged for it. You should always vote for the best possible candidate, whether they have a chance of winning or not, and then, even if the worst possible candidate wins, the Lord will bless our country more because more people were willing to stand up for what is right.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Some claim it's President Benson, but I don't see any citation when anyone uses this quote, so I am highly skeptical.
James

Post by James »

Since we live in an oligarchy here in America both of the two main political parties represent the ruling class. The "i'm voting for the lesser of two evils" mentality usually involves two similar candidates who, after the election drama, would both end up doing the will of the ruling class anyway.

Which is one reason the guy with genuine integrity, who refuses billionaires money and super pacs looks pretty good at a time like this.

:jawdrop:
Steve

Post by Steve »

So, brethren, I wish you to understand that when we begin to tamper with the Constitution we begin to tamper with the law of Zion which God Himself set up, and no one may trifle with the word of God with impunity.

Now, I am not caring today, for myself, anything at all about a political party tag. So far as I am concerned, I want to know what the man stands for. I want to know if he believes in the Constitution; if he believes in its free institutions; if he believes in its liberties, its freedom. I want to know if he believes in the Bill of Rights. I want to know if he believes in the separation of sovereign power into the three great divisions: the Legislative, the Judicial, the Executive. I want to know if he believes in the mutual independence of these, the one from the other. When I find out these things, then I know who it is who should receive my support, and I care not what his party tag is, because, brethren, if we are to live as a Church, and progress, and have the right to worship as we are worshipping here today, we must have the great guarantees that are set up by our Constitution. There is no other way in which we can secure these guarantees. You may look at the systems all over the world where the principles of our Constitution are not controlling and in force, and you will find there dictatorship, tyranny, oppression, and, in the last analysts, slavery.

I have said enough. I believe you understand what I have said. Today, our duty transcends party allegiance; our duty today is allegiance to the Constitution as it was given to us by the Lord. Every federal officer takes an oath to support that Constitution so given. The difference between us and some of those to the South of us is this: down there, their fealty runs to individuals; here, our fealty and our allegiance run to the Constitution and to the principles which it embodies, and not to individuals.

God give us wisdom and enable us in these times of trouble and strife clearly to see our way, that we may be instrumental in sustaining the Constitution, in upholding our free institutions, our civil rights, our freedom of speech, of press, of religion, and of conscience. If we shall stand together we shall save the Constitution, just as has been foreseen, and if we do not stand together, we cannot perform this great task.

(President J. Reuben Clark, Jr., Conference Report, October 1942)
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

that is great counsel. some presidential candidates rarely mention the constitution. we need a president who will uphold and support the constitution.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Steve

Post by Steve »

We engage in the election the same as in any other principle; you are to vote for good men, and if you do not do this it is a sin; to vote for wicked men, it would be sin. Choose the good and refuse the evil. Men of false principles have preyed upon us like wolves upon helpless lambs. -darn the rod of tyranny; curse it. Let every man use his liberties according to the Constitution. Don’t fear man or devil; electioneer with all people, male and female, and exhort them to do the thing that is right. We want a President of the U. S., not a party President, but a President of the whole people; for a party President disfranchises the opposite party. Have a President who will maintain every man in his rights.

(Elder Hyrum Smith, DHC-6:323, 1844)
No political party is justified to continue in existence unless it clearly states the principles which it advocates, the platform upon which its candidates stand, and then with integrity, when and if elected, carry out those principles and live up to that platform. Except that be the case, we as Latter-day Saints should not align ourselves to any party, because we do not have the basis upon which we can make an intelligent decision. We must know what they stand for before we can favor them with our vote.

(Elder Henry D. Moyle, General Conference, April 1952)
A friend of mine remarked that our politics had ceased to be based on a set of definite principles and clearly defined policies but on sails set to catch the popular winds. And is it not true that the responsibility in government of political parties is growing less, perhaps in about the same proportion as the struggle for office is growing greater? Ready-tongued and witty-minded ambitious politicians get nominated for office by stirring up the people with glowing promises of unearned favors and benefits to be secured at the expense of others than themselves.

(Elder Joseph F. Merrill, Church News, December 1936)
The President is President of the Church, not favoring in this election either political party. The welfare of all members of the Church is equally considered by the President, his Counselors, and the General Authorities. Both political parties will be treated impartially. ... This does not mean, however, that error will be condoned. Teachings and ideologies subversive to the fundamental principles of this great Republic, which are contrary to the Constitution of the United States, or which are detrimental to the progress of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, will be condemned, whether advocated by Republicans or Democrats.

(President David O. McKay, General Conference, October 1952)
The First Presidency has previously issued a statement urging you as citizens to participate in the great democratic processes of our national election in accordance with your honest political convictions.

We have urged you, above all, to try to support good and conscientious candidates of either party who are aware of the great dangers inherent in communism and who are truly dedicated to the constitution in the tradition of our fathers. We have suggested also that you should support candidates who pledge their sincere fidelity to our liberty—a liberty which aims at the preservation of both personal and property rights.

We again urge you to study the issues, analyze the candidates on these grounds and then exercise your franchise as free men and women. We urge you not to sell your birthright for a mess of pottage.

(First Presidency, Deseret News, November 1964)
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Great quotes - Do we have such candidates this coming November election?. I don't think so. However, I will vote.
Steve

Post by Steve »

We do not have such a candidate, but Lily and I will also vote.