Hot Topic: Caffeinated Beverages

All registered users can post here.
Steve

Hot Topic: Caffeinated Beverages

Post by Steve »

Haha, you knew this was coming. Is it wrong to drink Coca-Cola (w/ caffeine)? How about hot cocoa? After all, chocolate contains caffeine as well. What do you all think?

Sorry, I just felt like there hadn't been a good 'ol discussion since the art thread kind of fizzled. :)
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Bless your heart Steve for trying...are we getting just too busy? o.k to answer your question, I personally am trying to cut my soda intake period, I think no matter what you drink non-caffeine or caffenated, soda can become addicted, I guess it's the sugar that does it. I don't have a problem with hot cocoa because it does not contain the great amount of chocolate that a Hershey's bar would contain. :wink:
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

i think the main reason this topic is controversial is because many members of the church drink caffeinated coke, yet the general authorities do not speak of it very often. so, it's kind of like the r-rated movie issue. Many people take this to mean it's an "individual decision," or in other words, everybody can just decide on their own whether coke violates the word of wisdom.

the problem with this approach is that we should strive to follow the Lord's will, not our own. and what is the Lord's will, with regard to coke?

bishop h. burke peterson addressed this issue back in 1975, in the new era. the question posed was this: “Is it against Church standards to drink cola beverages or any other beverage containing caffeine?”

peterson's response is very clear. he highlights two words in d&c section 89: "wholesome" and "prudence." then peterson cites this important scripture: "For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward." (d&c 58:26)

i think that scripture is important to this issue, because the church has not taken an official position on coke. we need to figure out for ourselves what the Lord's will is for us.

peterson goes on to say: "We know that cola drinks contain the drug caffeine. We know caffeine is not wholesome nor prudent for the use of our bodies. It is only sound judgment to conclude that cola drinks and any others that contain caffeine or other harmful ingredients should not be used."

is there anything ambiguous about that counsel? i don't believe so. i know that president hinkley has said on varous occasions that members of the church do not drink caffeinated drinks. has he issued a command to us, not to drink coke? i don't know that he has. but again, must we be commanded in all things?

what about drinking caffeinated soda to keep us awake while studying or driving? in the 1997 new era it says, "Never use caffeine or other drugs of any kind to keep you awake." i believe that is wise counsel.

for anyone who is interested, do a search for "caffeine" on lds.org. many church publications have made it clear that caffeinated beverages such as coke are unhealthy, and violate the word of wisdom.

i can't tell anyone else not to drink coke. it's not in my place, and it's not effective anyway, because in the spirit of self-justification, those people would probably point to my consumption of chocolate, etc. and accuse me of hypocrisy. i'm hypocrital in a lot of things, and unfortunately i make mistakes every day, but i know what's right and wrong, and i know that we shoudn't drink coke.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Edward

Post by Edward »

That's good enough for me. I've never had it before anyway, so no issues there. I always figured it was one of those things that the church just assumed we would do. On the mission I would never tell people "we don't drink caffeine," but if they asked about it I gave a similar response--it is a drug, and so it's best to avoid it. Nobody ever had a problem with it. Those that did, interestingly enough, were other missionaries, who would get defensive if I said that. They gave the usual "is it wrong for me to drink it" or "am I sinning if I do?" I just said hey, I'm in no position to tell you, but it's obviously a substance that affects the body, so I'd say avoid it.

I think what Ian posted is just the right way to put it. Really, do we have to order a coke when it's just as easy to get a lemonade or a water? Are we so clingy that we can't let go of one flavor option, even if it's just to be on the safe side? I like to use Pascal's Wager in these particular instances--if you're unsure about a matter of right or wrong, it's better to lean on the side of caution and obey the commandment than to let it go simply because you aren't sure. If it is wrong, you won't have any problems with it. If it isn't, at least you've learned prudence and restraint, and that's a nice reward for such a little act. I say avoid it and get a nice glass of milk instead. It's healthier, you can't deny that! :wink:
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Steve

Post by Steve »

I agree with your responses. This might be a short discussion! ;) haha

Although, Edward's reasoning is somewhat questionable:
Edward:Really, do we have to order a coke when it's just as easy to get a lemonade or a water?
Using this reasoning, it'd be questionable to eat fast food, ice cream, or donuts. Do we have to order a pizza when it's just as easy to get a can of tuna?
It's healthier, you can't deny that!
No doubt, and I totally agree with you and your position. However, this can be used for so many things. Even as strong members of the church, how often do we really seek the "safe side" when it comes to food? ;)
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Steve

Re: Hot Topic: Caffeinated Beverages

Post by Steve »

Utah's been abuzz ever since the church released a statement clarifying its stance on caffeine:
The Church revelation spelling out health practices (Doctrine and Covenants 89) does not mention the use of caffeine. The Church’s health guidelines prohibit alcoholic drinks, smoking or chewing of tobacco, and “hot drinks” — taught by Church leaders to refer specifically to tea and coffee.
When it was inquired as to why BYU did not stock caffeinated soda, BYU's official reply was that it was "not a university or church decision, but made by dining services, based on what our customers want."

Still, I can't get President Hinckley's 60 Minutes interview out of my head:

Link
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

This is from medicinenet.com
What is caffeine?

There are few people who are not aware of the stimulating effect that caffeine provides. We have a choice and choose caffeinated beverages for a reason. Caffeine is considered the most commonly used psychoactive drug in the world. Approximately 90% of adults consume it on a daily basis, and research is being done on its health benefits and consequences.

We may love our caffeine, but what exactly is it? Caffeine is the common name for 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine. When purified, caffeine produces an intensely bitter white powder that provides a distinctive taste in soft drinks. The word "caffeine" came from the German word kaffee and the French word café, each meaning coffee. After ingesting caffeine, it is completely absorbed within 30 to 45 minutes, and its effects substantially diminish within about three hours. It is eventually excreted so there is no accumulation in the body. Caffeine has been shown to affect mood, stamina, the cerebral vascular system, and gastric and colonic activity. But caffeine may not be for everyone.
Doctors at Johns Hopkins University have confirmed that true caffeine addiction can occur even when small amounts (corresponding to about one cup of coffee per day) of caffeine are consumed. In a review of 170 years of caffeine research, the Hopkins team examined 57 separate studies and found that the features of caffeine withdrawal can vary from mild mood changes to systemic, flu-like symptoms. The major types of caffeine withdrawal reactions were identified as:

headache, fatigueor drowsiness
depressed, irritable mood
difficulty concentrating
flu-like symptoms of nauseaand/or vomiting
muscle pain or stiffness
One mistake that people make is assuming that decaffeinated means that there is no caffeine in the food or beverage. Decaffeinating happens through a process. According to the site Coffeeresearch.org, decaffeinating coffee usually consists of soaking the beans in water to dissolve the caffeine, extracting the caffeine with a solvent or activated carbon, and then re-soaking the beans in the decaffeinated water to reabsorb the flavor compounds that were lost in the initial extract.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Steve

Post by Steve »

Yes, though the Church has emphasized that caffeinated beverages are not prohibited by the Word of Wisdom, it is not an endorsement for the consumption of caffeinated beverages. There are compelling reasons to avoid it if at all possible, and our family has decided on abstinence as a matter of policy.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

your post is misleading (understandable, because most news reports have been misleading). the church has not clarified its stance on caffeine. your quote is taken from a blog entry written by the newsroom staff at mormonnewsroom.org/blog, found here. the newsroom staff was responding to a report by nbc that the church prohibits caffeine. the full quote from the blog entry is:
Finally, another small correction: Despite what was reported, the Church revelation spelling out health practices (Doctrine and Covenants 89) does not mention the use of caffeine. The Church’s health guidelines prohibit alcoholic drinks, smoking or chewing of tobacco, and “hot drinks” — taught by Church leaders to refer specifically to tea and coffee.
this is nothing new. for example, we saw similar wording in the 2008 new era:
Is there anything wrong with drinking sodas with caffeine in them? Is caffeine bad? The Word of Wisdom doesn’t mention it.

Doctrine and Covenants 89:9 says we shouldn’t drink “hot drinks.” The only official interpretation of this term is the statement made by early Church leaders that it means tea and coffee. Caffeine is not specifically mentioned as the reason not to drink these drinks.

However, we should keep in mind this counsel given by President Boyd K. Packer: “The Word of Wisdom was ‘given for a principle with promise’ (D&C 89:3). … A principle is an enduring truth, a law, a rule you can adopt to guide you in making decisions. Generally principles are not spelled out in detail. Members write in asking if this thing or that is against the Word of Wisdom. … We teach the principle together with the promised blessings. There are many habit-forming, addictive things that one can drink or chew or inhale or inject which injure both body and spirit which are not mentioned in the revelation. … Obedience to counsel will keep you on the safe side of life” (“The Word of Wisdom: The Principle and the Promises,” Ensign, May 1996, 17–18).
both articles are carefully worded. they both state simply that doctrine and covenants section 89 does not mention caffeine. the question is, does consumption of caffeinated drinks violate the word of wisdom? that question is left unanswered by the newsroom staff and the new era, but we can figure it out on our own.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Good clarification, Ian. Around here, the news headlines all read something to the effect of "It's Official: Coke and Pepsi OK for Mormons."

Looking at this, it's not so different from the church's stance on things like prescription drugs, a healthy diet, or physical activity. As always, individuals are looking for loopholes in order to engage in their vice of choice or to avoid the thing they know is the better way.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Spencer W. Kimball: I never drink any of the cola drinks and my personal hope would be that no one would. However, they are not included in the Word of Wisdom in its technical application. I quote from a letter from the secretary to the First Presidency, "But the spirit of the Word of Wisdom would be violated by the drinking or eating of anything that contained a habit-forming drug." With reference to the cola drinks, the Church has never officially taken any attitude on this at but I personally do not put them in the class as with the tea and coffee because the Lord specifically mentioned them [the hot drinks].

I might say also that strychnine and sleeping pills and opium and heroin are not mentioned in the Word of Wisdom and yet I would discourage them with all my power (Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball).
Joseph Fielding Smith: I was definitely informed by a chemist that the cola drinks are just as harmful as tea or coffee, and his advice was to leave all such substances alone (Answers to Gospel Questions, Volume 5).
John A. Widtsoe: Whenever a drink is advertised to "give you a lift," the "lift" is likely to be caused by the drug which it contains. Such soft drinks are decidedly harmful and habit-forming, even though sold by the millions. Such caffeine-containing drinks, offered by every soda fountain and most eating places, and consumed in large quantities, should be known and avoided (Word of Wisdom: A Modern Interpretation).
Heber J. Grant: I am not going to give any command, but I will ask it as a personal, individual favor to me, to let coca-cola alone. There are plenty of other things you can get at the soda fountains without drinking that which is injurious. The Lord does not want you to use any drug that creates an appetite for itself (Conference Report April 1922).
Bruce R. McConkie: Certainly the partaking of cola drinks, though not included within the measuring standard here set out, is in violation of the spirit of the Word of Wisdom (Mormon Doctrine).
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Wow! these are great quotes on this subject. I would include any kind of green tea anything - e.g cough drops, candy, "healthy drinks", etc.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Agreed, though it really goes without saying that green tea is forbidden. Green tea is tea, which we know is forbidden in Section 89, and if you're consuming it, you'll have to account for it in your temple recommend interview.
Angela

Post by Angela »

whoa whoa whoa.... what's your stance on herbal teas? ya' know, the non caffeinated ones.