Hot Topic: Caffeinated Beverages

All registered users can post here.
Ann

Re: Hot Topic: Caffeinated Beverages

Post by Ann »

I have been meaning to ask James more about the chai roobios. I had understood that in general chai tea was made from tea leaves and I had avoided it. Apparently, the word "chai" was derived from a Mandarian word and is now a word for tea common to multiple Middle Eastern and Asian languages. It is in general made with black tea, including the chai masala of India. However, chai roobios is made from a South African red bush leaves, Indian spices, etc, and is a caffeine-free herbal tea, correct? So, chai roobios falls under the category of herbal teas we have been discussing that we enjoy, but the other chai teas fall in the category with green and black teas that we would avoid?

I enjoy many of the herbal teas, especially on cold winter nights with a nice book. However, I prefer and love the warm beverages from Honduras and Guatemala, i.e. atoles and ponche navideno. Steve's comment about lima beans reminded me of one of my favorites (atol de haba).
James

Post by James »

you are correct, ann. chai rubies is an herbal tea. i think it's made by yogi tea brand. chai does mean tea in a few languages. in india chai (black tea) is typically served with masala (spices) and milk. the chai rubies is an african herbal tea that is flavored with the "masala" spices (cardamom, clove, star anise, cinnamon etc).
micah

Post by micah »

Just to jazz things up, what about Kava (Piper methysticum)? A nice anxiolytic herbal enjoyed by many Polynesians, and used in many Polynesian rituals. Has been banned by certain church schools, due to associations with some less then clean-fun parties.

That said, supposedly some church leaders have drank it as part of welcoming rituals in Polynesia.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

it seems to me that you have formulated a compelling argument in favor of kava:

1. it's nice
2. it's anxiolytic
3. it's herbal
4. it's enjoyed by many polynesians
5. it's used in many polynesian rituals
6. it's banned by certain church schools, but not all church schools
7. it's banned by certain church schools, but only because it's associated with bad parties
8. church leaders drank it

i see no reason not to drink it.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Edward

Post by Edward »

Supposedly? Who is doing this alleged supposing?
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
John

Post by John »

If it warrants this type of discussion (which I applaud) and if it is questionable, and since I have no cultural compulsion to partake, and since it is highly unlikely that I will find myself in a position to exercise a meek deference to polynesian ritual, I see no purpose in trying to find out if my life has somehow been diminished by never having drunk it. :) Is there a compelling medical benefit of which my health is being deprived?

Is it delicious to the taste?
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

I want to announce that I shall be glad if we will quit giving notices to the papers of what is termed "teas" that are being held in our homes. I read of a "tea" being given in the home of President Heber J. Grant, and of the "tea" table's being decorated. There is no tea table in the home of President Heber J. Grant. There has been no tea served either to our friends or visitors, in the home of Heber J. Grant. I would like us to change that name in our newspapers, at least so far as Latter-day Saints are concerned, and have it a "social gathering," or a lunch, or anything you have a mind to call it, and quit calling it a "tea" when every Latter-day Saint is asked by the Lord to leave tea, coffee, and tobacco alone.

President Heber J. Grant, General Conference, April 1926
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

O.k. . So what shall we call tea? "herbal concoctions"? "herbal beverage"? "herbal nightcap"? "warm herbal drink"? "herbal stew drink"? "boiled herbal drink"? "herbal refreshment"?
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Steve

Post by Steve »

I could be totally wrong, but it sounds like he wasn't having any tea at all. It sounds like he was avoiding it altogether so as to avoid any appearance of evil (and the use of the word "tea" in relation to his family's good name). I like that.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

instead of coffee table, how about, living room table.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Fare thee well, my beloved.

When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

that's a nice looking slice of crumb cake.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Mr. Pero, I presume?
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

:roll:
Steve

Post by Steve »

Jokes aside, I actually really appreciate this. My daughters have a set of cups, saucers, and kettle most commonly referred to as a "tea set." I have accepted a cup of "cocoa" from them on a number of occasions. However, even as I've attempted to avoid the use of the word "tea" in this imaginative play, it strikes me that I may be needlessly rationalizing the ownership of this traditional toy. Expanding the selection to a broader "kitchen set" might be worthwhile in ensuring the emphasis on pretend and play does not unduly focus on the forbidden.