Hot Topic: Caffeinated Beverages

All registered users can post here.
John

Re: Hot Topic: Caffeinated Beverages

Post by John »

From section 89:
(10) And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man—
When the term "constitution" is used in such a context, it generally implies internal consumption. I think the critical word here is "wholesome", and
in that regard, I think we are expected to wisely use the brains He gave us. It is not meet that He should have to command us in every detail.
And again:
(17) 17 ...and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain.
The major ingredient in such products as Postum, Caro, and Pero is ... barley. I have never found that those mild drinks nor any herbal teas have bound me to them addictively
nor altered my spiritual sensitivities (viz. Heber J. Grant: "The Lord does not want you to use any drug that creates an appetite for itself.")
If anyone has felt that those drinks have affected him in that manner, then perhaps that person should avoid them.

I think that Section 89 provides members of the church(viz. me) with a hefty dose of fodder for rancor.
As Joseph Smith said:
But I beg leave to say unto you, brethren, that ignorance,superstition and bigotry placing itself where it ought not,
is oftentimes in the way of the prosperity of this Church
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Steve

Post by Steve »

It's my understanding that herbal teas are left to the discretion of the individuals, though I personally leave them alone for the most part. I don't necessarily object to others' preparing a warm drink with certain herbs (well, aside from the nasty flavor). Many of these are not technically "teas" as they are not derived from tea leaves. I think you do need to be careful with herbal teas, though, and not just accept them without knowing what goes into them.

Green tea, however, is derived from tea leaves. It is not just a colloquial use of the word "tea." It is literally tea.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
James

Post by James »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/0 ... 48098.html

the huffpost article above was all over Facebook. i remember when this was a big deal in provo a few months back. Angela I really enjoy herbal tea. My recent favorite is a chai roobios (chai = spiced, common in India, roobios = african red bush). It is wonderful mixed with almond milk and iced. speaking of iced, someone in elders quorum stated that he thinks cold drinks are as bad for digestive health as hot drinks. he suggested drinks that are just right. Not too hot or cold. I enjoy fire and ice, but accept the good advice to avoid temperature extremes.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Yeah, James, we mentioned this a couple of months ago in this very thread. Ian's post clarified the church's statement which was pulled out of context in the related news articles. For instance, in this headline, it is written that the church has officially stated it's ok to drink caffeinated soft drinks. That is not true.

From where I stand, far more counsel has been shared against it than for it. I know of no statement made by the church that says "Yes, it's fine" or something to that effect, but I have seen plenty of counsel against it. Which, when received in the context of President Benson's "Fourteen Fundamentals in Following the Prophet", is probably worthy of notice.

Speaking of herbal tea, what is it that draws people in? The ones I've tried all tasted—how to describe it—funky? It's more of a half-attempt at a drink, neither water nor flavored beverage. What is it that people like about them?

EDIT: I do want to publicly acknowledge that the caffeinated soft-drink debate is not nearly as important as other far weightier matters (though I am emphatically against consuming tea). I am vocal about it in this thread for the purpose of emphasizing the value of prophetic counsel. I've shared the following story by Elder Bednar in other threads, but I think I'll share it again just to illustrate where I'm coming from.
David A. Bednar: Sister Bednar and I are acquainted with a returned missionary who had dated a special young woman for a period of time. This young man cared for the young woman very much, and he was desirous of making his relationship with her more serious. He was considering and hoping for engagement and marriage. Now this relationship was developing during the time that President Hinckley counseled the Relief Society sisters and young women of the Church to wear only one earring in each ear.

The young man waited patiently over a period of time for the young woman to remove her extra earrings, but she did not take them out. This was a valuable piece of information for this young man, and he felt unsettled about her nonresponsiveness to a prophet’s pleading. For this and other reasons, he ultimately stopped dating the young woman, because he was looking for an eternal companion who had the courage to promptly and quietly obey the counsel of the prophet in all things and at all times. The young man was quick to observe that the young woman was not quick to observe.

Now before I continue, I presume that some of you might have difficulty with my last example. ... You may believe the young man was too judgmental or that basing an eternally important decision, even in part, upon such a supposedly minor issue is silly or fanatical. Perhaps you are bothered because the example focuses upon a young woman who failed to respond to prophetic counsel instead of upon a young man. I simply invite you to consider and ponder the power of being quick to observe and what was actually observed in the case I just described. The issue was not earrings! (Quick to Observe, 2005)
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
James

Post by James »

I know it was discussed but i didn't see links to the news sources.
Speaking of herbal tea, what is it that draws people in? The ones I've tried all tasted—how to describe it—funky? It's more of a half-attempt at a drink, neither water nor flavored beverage. What is it that people like about them?
People are drawn in for a variety of reasons. They may find tea time relaxing. Or they may enjoy the health benefits of certain ingredients. or they may enjoy the taste of well prepared herbal tea.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

When I grew up in Peru (Bolivia too) it was not uncommon to have tea time around 4:00pm. I noticed the same when I was there last year. But family knowing that we are LDS we got non-caffeinated tea or "mate" as they call it. When I was child and would get asthma attacks Mami would give me a warm drink like warm milk or an herbal drink like rosehip or chamomille and it would help me relax considerably and help me breathe normally. Even now we have seen the benefits of echinacea tea for a soar throat.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Steve

Post by Steve »

I know it was discussed but i didn't see links to the news sources.
Ahh, gotcha.
People are drawn in for a variety of reasons. They may find tea time relaxing. Or they may enjoy the health benefits of certain ingredients. or they may enjoy the taste of well prepared herbal tea.
Hmm, I guess it's like lima beans or other things like that. I prefer to get my nutrients from other sources that taste a little better. But I suppose if someone likes it, more power to them!
But family knowing that we are LDS we got non-caffeinated tea or "mate" as they call it.
Not to start another beverage debate, but it's my understanding that yerba mate from which mate is derived most certainly contains caffeine. I've never heard of caffeine-free mate.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

You are correct in the definition of mate nevertheless we were given non-caffeinated tea.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
John

Post by John »

I think you do need to be careful with herbal teas, though, and not just accept them without knowing what goes into them.
Rose hip tea is made of the fruit of the rose bush which is called a "hip" and is basically a berry.
Mint tea is made from ... mint - an herb also commonly used in cooking.
Raspberry leaf tea is made from raspberry leaves.
By definition, herb teas are made from herbs and not from the leaves of tea trees. The "tea industry," so far, also maintains that distinction.
But once again, the counsel is "all wholesome herbs" ... so of course we should use wisdom in determining what "wholesome" is, but I'm intrigued by the use of the word "all".

And by the way, as mentioned above, is there any difference in using herbs as seasonings in cooking, and using them straight in a mild drink?
What then of the use of parsley, oregano, thyme, sage, rosemary, cylantro?

I'm amused to hear of someone considering the flavor of mint tea or rose hip tea "nasty", but then there are those who turn up their noses at the taste of
broccoli, peas, beans, squash, cauliflower, clams, pizza, cake, steak, milkshake, fish... what-have-you.

I will say, in response to Mom's mention of echinacea tea, that I have never found any remedy better than this to temporarily relieve the sting in my throat when it is sore.
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Modern Americans are in the minority as far as average tea consumption goes. Travel to any other country and you will find it to be a staple. To gain a taste for tea I suggest you try the following:

1. Make tea.
2. Add about 5 tablespoons of sugar, to eliminate all flavor, and accommodate your limited palate.
3. Gradually start adding less sugar.
4. Try other flavors of tea to find one you like.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I think you do need to be careful with herbal teas, though, and not just accept them without knowing what goes into them.
What sparked this comment was that I've known people who call a variety of things "herbal tea" (green tea for instance) as a blanket term for anything that's not black tea. When someone offers me "herbal tea," I want to know what went into it, since the person preparing it might have a different understanding of what herbal tea even is.

And then once I know what it is, I politely decline, because again, I don't care for the taste. ;) hehe

Is this a good point in the conversation for me to express how much I love tea pots? We have an Asian tea store in the mall, and there are beautiful cups and pots. I wonder if I should get a set for hot cocoa.
Angela

Post by Angela »

Dad, I don't think tea is good for you like the veggies you mentioned. If someone doesn't like the taste of pizza or milkshakes, then they really aren't missing out on anything, just like tea.

I grew up with my mom giving us non-caffeinated tea when we were ill and I'm not opposed to the taste but I don't think tea tastes great. I happen to think rose flavored anything is disgusting. Why is tea something I need to teach myself how to like? I think acquiring the taste for fish or veggies far far far outweighs the need to acquire the taste for tea. When I'm sick with a throaty thing I do like to have warm drinks to soothe my throat. Seeing as warm water tastes gross to me, I will generally drink warm soup. I've found this just as effective for me as when I was a child drinking tea. And it tastes better than the tea.

Also, drinking cilantro tea sounds ugh to me.
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

I wouldn't say anyone has to learn to like tea, but it was something I wanted to do since I lived in a country that served tea often and I am one who enjoys the acquiring of tastes. While tea is not as important nutritionally as fruits and vegetables, I find that the people who drink things like tea (with more muted, subdued flavors that are a far cry from sugary soft drinks) are more capable of enjoying things like fish and vegetables, which are good even if they are not as flavorful as Cheetos or fried chicken.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

i enjoy tea, it reminds me of fresh lawnmower clippings. however, one must have a well-trained and sophisticated palate to enjoy it, and social etiquette demands that one hold the tea cup with three fingers -- never five.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
John

Post by John »

cute-drinking-englamd-funny-tea-Favim.com-419834.jpg
cupoftea.jpg