This Website

All registered users can post here.
Ian
Site Admin

This Website

Post by Ian »

ok i'm thinking of doing some more work on this website, so what do you guys think we should work on next? i'm thinking of doing genealogy/family history last, so that leaves videos (music?), reviews, and the "about" page. what should get first priority?

i was also thinking about updates for the stuff we already have. for example, making it so we can upload files (like pictures) on this discussion board. also, the recipe page needs fixing (it has security issues). and like steve said, we should eventually split this discussion board up into categories.

so please talk about what you would like to see happen next and what changes you want to see.

also, to the "tech-savvy" out there, ideas about how to implement stuff would be nice. in particular i'm not sure yet about how to implement a page for submitting book and movie reviews. so far i've thought of doing some kind of a wiki, or maybe using a php script like xtdreviews for joomla. it would take a while to write a php script from scratch, so it would be good to find something out there that would be user-friendly and easy to implement. so any suggestions would be nice.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Edward

Post by Edward »

Um, yes? lol Actually I think geneology ought to be next, if only because it's something that we all should be doing, though I for one am not the best example of active geneological research. Maybe that will encourage us to do it more if we have access to it!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I would love the recipes section back and then the Review section going - thanks Mastermind!
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Steve

Post by Steve »

I'll leave the priorities up to you guys.

Image tags are active, right? So technically, if the image is hosted somewhere, it can be posted here? Let's find out:

Yup! Cool. I guess if it's a personal or long-term image, though, that you didn't want to upload to an image host (like CNet's free All You Can Upload service), it'd be nice to be able to upload it to your own host. I don't know what your space limitations are, but I'm sure they're pretty liberal for this site's purposes.

For the "tech-savvy" stuff, are you talking about jreviews or xtdratings? I'm not familiar with xtdreviews. Something like that would be a good idea, though. A wiki might be a little broad, since its purpose would include collaboration which will be tough for reviews since everyone disagrees. Unless you just planned on letting everyone submit their own paragraph under a movie heading (but in that case, you might as well just use a forum like this). Andy might be able to give you a few suggestions in this department. He works with this stuff on a daily basis for his job and major.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

yeah it would be good (for those who know how) to upload images remotely, to save space. for the sake of "user-friendliness" i think it would also be nice to allow people the option of uploading images and stuff directly onto our host server.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

also, i think jreviews is commercial which would mean we would actually have to pay something (i'm not sure about this though). i think xtdreviews is free. i haven't looked into this stuff to be sure though. basically it would be just nice to get a free script somewhere.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

the reason i was thinking of using wiki was that we might be able to categorize the reviews. for example, down the line we might have like 100 movie reviews (maybe), so it would be good to have a way to index them alphabetically and search, etc. i'm worried that if we just use a forum, it will become very ad hoc.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Ok, if I do use images, etc. on this site, I'll just host 'em myself.

As far as the free script is concerned, I agree. Free is good. I'll tell Andy about it and see if he can come up with something.

EDIT: Yeah, organization would be the key. By ad hoc, you mean that it'd be like Mottfam's movie reviews! haha. Yeah, I gotta figure out a better solution myself. Otherwise, you could pull 'em from wherever/however they're posted and plop them in a static page for archiving (where they'd be listed alphabetically). In other words, you'd be the on-call librarian as opposed to letting people place them by themselves. Hey, whatever you decide, I think you'll still be respected by all who visit the site. Maybe. ;)
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Steve

Post by Steve »

Another consideration might be cumulative scores based on family member ratings for each film. Of course, those who are easily pleased (or who hate everything) will tend to affect an average. That's actually why Lily and I have separate scores posted for each film rather than a family average -- despite the fact we rarely disagree.

Anyway, you oughtta paint a few scenarios for family members to choose from once you figure out what options are feasible.
andy

Suggestions for scripts

Post by andy »

I don't use Joomla, so I'm not sure what it's capable of doing. The fact that different users can have different permissions to edit things could be useful. Would joomla users be able to create content? If that were the case, you may be able to have a "create new movie review" option.

And as far as using xtdreviews, I'm not sure what it is. Is this page an example of it?:
http://reviews.joomlaya.com/

In general, it looks like most free "review" scripts are strictly for content that the webmaster selects. This wouldn't allow users to create their own movie (or whatever) to review. Unless, of course, you gave everyone admin privileges.

A wiki would probably be the best (and dreamhost comes with mediawiki), however, it would require that everyone feel comfortable making changes themselves. I'm not sure how easy and intuitive you would be able to make it. But I agree, it would certainly be more organizeable than a forum.

Uploading images to this forum would not be difficult to do, as there are many upload scripts. A user could upload an image to his or her own (pre-made) directory on this host, and then reference it using the [img] tag. I would limit file types or password protect it though, so no one uploads a malicious script and runs it.

I've got a primitive upload script at upload.andymott.com.
After uploading, you'd just have to site the URL like so:
(img)http://upload.andymott.com/files/planes.jpg(/img)

Those are the only suggestions I have, based on what you've discussed so far. I haven't looked at anything that costs money though.
margaret

Random

Post by margaret »

Ok...story time:

Edward: "Hey Mom, did you know that Ian, Margaret, and Emma are the only ones that don't wear glasses?"

Mom: "yeah, well don't count your blessings on that one."

What does this mean :?:
How long shall i wait before it's too soon? What a vibrant violet...oh no no no no, do not be so shocked- i will be the first to believe in you. Who is that again? Ah, yes...tea time at midnight; you sweet thing! I will always say hello. Farewell!
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

well two things have been updated now. the recipe page should be working now, although that page is still not particularly stable/secure... but i think it's ok for now.

also people can upload pictures now in their posts. when you post a reply there is now a little button called "Upload picture." You should be able to upload most pictures so long as it's jpg, gif, etc.... no bitmaps are allowed, sorry. the picture will be automatically resized if it's too big. also, the forum will keep a gallery of all your pictures that you have uploaded so you can look thru them or delete them later. let me know if you find any problems with this stuff.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

this is only a test:

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=W45DRy7M1no[/youtube]
Edward

Post by Edward »

I hate that video! The poor little guy.......he tries SO HARD......

...and for naught.

Oh sports dude, I pine for you.......
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

another test...