Eagle Scouts - Boy scouts of America

All registered users can post here.
Steve

Re: Eagle Scouts - Boy scouts of America

Post by Steve »

I read the results publication sent out by the BSA. From their document:
The Chartered Organization Study Group was charged with listening to the voice of the national-level leadership in the BSA’s major chartered organizations. The BSA contacted 64 religious chartered organizations and 54 nonreligious chartered organizations. The BSA’s largest chartered organization, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is not included in these totals.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Steve

Post by Steve »

Church Issues Statement on Boy Scouts of America
Salt Lake City —

For 100 years, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has enjoyed a strong, rewarding relationship with Boy Scouts of America (BSA).

Recently, BSA has been reviewing a possible policy change in its standards for membership and leadership. Now that BSA has finished its review process and has proposed a resolution for consideration, the Church has issued the following statement:

“Over the past several weeks BSA has undertaken the difficult task of reviewing its membership standards policy. In their own words, this undertaking has been 'the most comprehensive listening exercise in its history.'

"While the Church has not launched any campaign either to effect or prevent a policy change we have followed the discussion and are satisfied that BSA has made a thoughtful, good-faith effort to address issues that, as they have said, remain 'among the most complex and challenging issues facing the BSA and society today.'

"The current BSA proposal constructively addresses a number of important issues that have been part of the on-going dialogue including consistent standards for all BSA partners, recognition that Scouting exists to serve and benefit youth rather than Scout leaders, a single standard of moral purity for youth in the program, and a renewed emphasis for Scouts to honor their duty to God.

"We are grateful to BSA for their careful consideration of these issues. We appreciate the positive things contained in this current proposal that will help build and strengthen the moral character and leadership skills of youth as we work together in the future.”
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Great Salt Lake Council statement on the proposed BSA resolution: May 9, 2013

We acknowledge and commend the BSA for seeking input from membership at all levels as well as public input on Scouting and its membership policy. We are appreciative of the opportunity to participate in the process and that our voice was heard.

Also, we believe that “Duty to God” and moral behavior must continue to be core values of the Scout Oath and Law, as the proposed resolution indicates. This morning the Great Salt Lake Council unanimously passed a motion to allow each of our 15 voters to vote their conscience as to what is in the best interest of our youth members, the council, and the BSA.

We will work closely with our Scouting family and remain totally committed to Scouting’s mission and delivering our quality programs to more than 100,000 members and leaders.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

News Release — 23 May 2013
Church Responds to Boy Scouts Policy Vote
Salt Lake City —

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints responded today to the Boy Scouts of America vote on its membership policy with the following statement:

For the past 100 years, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has enjoyed a strong relationship with Boy Scouts of America, based on our mutual interest in helping boys and young men understand and live their duty to God and develop upright moral behavior. As the Church moves forward in its association with the Boy Scouts of America, Church leaders will continue to seek the most effective ways to address the diverse needs of young people in the United States and throughout the world.

The Church’s long-established policy for participation in activities is stated in the basic instructional handbook used by lay leaders of the Church: “young men … who agree to abide by Church standards” are “welcomed warmly and encouraged to participate” (Handbook 2: Administering the Church [2010], 8.17.3). This policy applies to Church-sponsored Scout units. Sexual orientation has not previously been—and is not now—a disqualifying factor for boys who want to join Latter-day Saint Scout troops. Willingness to abide by standards of behavior continues to be our compelling interest.

These standards are outlined in the booklet For the Strength of Youth and include abstinence from sexual relationships. We remain firmly committed to upholding these standards and to protecting and strengthening boys and young men.

The Church appreciates BSA’s reaffirmation of its commitment to “duty to God,” which includes service to others and moral behavior—central principles of our teaching to young men. As in the past, the Church will work with BSA to harmonize what Scouting has to offer with the varying needs of our young men. We trust that BSA will implement and administer the approved policy in an appropriate and effective manner.

A letter signed by the First Presidency of the Church is being sent to all Latter-day Saint congregation leaders throughout the United States. The letter will include the reaffirmation of Church policies and standards referenced in today's public statement.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
John

Post by John »

newscoutoath.jpg
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

This is from The Washington Post -
Why Mormons back the new scouting policy
By Michael Otterson, Updated: May 31, 2013

The dust had barely settled from the May 23 vote on the Boy Scouts of America membership policy, when the media analysis and post mortem on this iconic American institution began.

Understandably, virtually all the headlines referred to the inclusion of gay scouts. The New York Times described it as a “milestone.” The Washington Post lamented that the policy still excludes gay adult leaders. Time magazine referred to “dramatic change.” And that is probably how history will record it.

But what has been largely missing from the mainstream media coverage of all the lobbying, placard waving and rhetoric on that day in Grapevine, Texas, was one fact that should have been inescapable. Rather than representing another episode of slippage in a very long culture war, as some religionists claimed, or a “step in the right direction,” as some gay advocates defined it, BSA in reality reintroduced and reinforced some of its century-old core values and nailed those colors firmly to the mast in an unmistakable message. And it was that reaffirmation of principle, plainly restated in the Membership Standards Resolution, that enabled some of scouting’s traditional supporters – including America’s largest sponsor of scouting, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints – to back the new membership policy.

What were those principles? A few hours before the vote was taken in Grapevine, Gary E. Stevenson, the Presiding Bishop of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, delivered the keynote speech to a well-attended breakfast assembly of scout leaders. Bishop Stevenson addressed those principles directly, rather than focusing on the membership vote that was on everyone’s mind.

“I am very aware,” he said, “of the controversial moral, legal, and policy issues that face this great organization. They are deep and they are wide and they will test the best in us. Although I don’t speak directly to these issues this morning, I believe it constructive counsel for each of us to pray that divine direction manifest itself upon those who have the weighty responsibility to lead this organization appropriately.”

Bishop Stevenson then turned to what he termed a foundational principle “as old and deep as the organization itself ” –duty to God. It’s worth repeating part of what he said.

“Boy Scouts of today face issues not faced by generations before them: declining morals, technology, addictive behavior and declining academic performance to name a few. I believe that the key to solving these issues lies in family and duty to God. If boys truly understood what their duty to God entails and lived it, they would grow safely into manhood.

“…It is this common belief in duty to God that has forged the iron-strong connection with Boy Scouts of America we (i.e. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) have shared over the last 100 years. One hundred years of evidence has shown that this impact-proof, non-rusting core principle works better than whatever has been, historically, the next-best idea. Duty to God is where the power lies. Duty to God is what changes lives.

“…Some may not see the sacred gatekeeping role scouting plays. They may see only fundraising and not a foundation. Others may brand scouting activities as merely outdoor recreation, but it can and must be shown that BSA is not a camping club; it is a character university centered on duty to God. I quote again from Robert Baden-Powell: ‘The whole of [scouting] is based on religion, that is, on the realization and service of God.’

“… Scouting must never overlook this core principle. We still need duty to God. We always will. When the societal and political winds come, and they surely will, scouting cannot unhinge itself from this foundational principle.”

Understanding this emphasis makes it easier to appreciate why Latter-day Saints in large numbers supported the resolution that was later passed by 61 per cent of assembled scout leaders. For Mormons, embracing duty to God as a core value is inseparable from the behavior that is expected to follow – behavior that it instills in its young women as well as its young men, and encourages in adults as well as its youth.

One key line in the new resolution that the scouting body approved is worth citing: “…any sexual conduct, whether homosexual or heterosexual, by youth of scouting age is contrary to the virtues of scouting.” That is it, in a nutshell. For the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, this was never about whether the BSA or local scout leaders should try to discern or categorize ill-defined and emerging sexual awareness of pre-pubescent boys and early pubescent young men who make up 90 per cent of scouting. Sexual orientation has not previously been—and is not now—a disqualifying factor for boys who want to join Latter-day Saint scout troops. Rather, it has always about teaching moral behavior to all boys, and instilling the core values that are part of responsible adulthood. As the church said in a statement issued promptly after the BSA vote, it is responsible behavior that “continues to be our compelling interest.”

Where next? The last line of the church’s official response stated it this way: “We trust that BSA will implement and administer the approved policy in an appropriate and effective manner.” In other words, the church is taking the BSA resolution at its word: that duty to God is an “immutable tenet” of scouting; that the “Scout Oath and Law are fundamental to the BSA in preparing youth for responsible citizenship”; that “effective screening, education and training,” is in place, as well as “clear policies to protect youth and provide for their privacy”; that “sexual conduct, whether heterosexual or homosexual, is contrary to the virtues of scouting.”

To be sure, not everyone agrees with these values. Those who don’t are not compelled to become scouts or to embrace what traditional scouting has to offer. They ought now to allow scouting to chart its own future, consistent with its century old values, free from interference, advocacy and agenda-driven politics. Let’s remember, it has always been – and should always be – about the boys.

Michael Otterson is an On Faith panelist and heads the worldwide public affairs functions of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

The Thomas S. Monson Award. Youth and adults of all ages can get this award. Here are the requirements. I'm actually considering doing it.

http://ldsbsa.org/wp-content/uploads/20 ... al-web.pdf

Thomas S. Monson Award
To earn the Thomas S. Monson Award, complete the following two requirements and at least four electives.
Requirements

1. Read “100 Years of Scouting in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,” which is included on
this card. With your family or a Scout leader, discuss two things you learned from this history.

2. Read “Run, Boy, Run,” which is included on this card, and write your feelings about this story in your
journal.

Electives

1. Complete at least two requirements toward earning the Genealogy merit badge.

2. Complete at least two requirements toward earning the Family Life merit badge.

3. Memorize the thirteenth article of faith, and discuss with your family or a leader how this article of faith
and the Scout Law support each other.

4. Meet two youth outside of your area and discuss with them how Scouting has benefited your life or the
life of a Scout you know.

5. Share your feelings about doing your duty to God with your family, a friend of another faith, or a leader.
King Noah

Post by King Noah »

Ah, what's this? Why, this doesn't look like an official award at all. That being the case, I'd be willing to issue my own award to anyone who wants one without having to fulfill those difficult requirements. And I'll do it for only $3.25 + shipping and handling!
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

i wonder if thomas s. monson is aware of this thomas s. monson award.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I know—I oughtta look around and try to find the criteria people have set for the Steven E. Mott award!
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

This is in response to the Boy Scouts resolution for adult leaders standards. I appreciate our simple and precise response based on principles.
NEWS RELEASE — 13 JULY 2015Church Comments on Boy Scouts of America Resolution on Adult Leader Standards
SALT LAKE CITY —
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued the following statement Monday regarding the Boy Scouts of America resolution for adult leader standards:

“As a chartering organization, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has always had the right to select Scout leaders who adhere to moral and religious principles that are consistent with our doctrines and beliefs. Any resolution adopted by the Boy Scouts of America regarding leadership in Scouting must continue to affirm that right.”
Steve

Post by Steve »

7/27/2015
SALT LAKE CITY —

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints released the following statement today after a vote on a policy change by the Boy Scouts of America National Executive Board to admit openly gay leaders:

“The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is deeply troubled by today’s vote by the Boy Scouts of America National Executive Board. In spite of a request to delay the vote, it was scheduled at a time in July when members of the Church’s governing councils are out of their offices and do not meet. When the leadership of the Church resumes its regular schedule of meetings in August, the century-long association with Scouting will need to be examined. The Church has always welcomed all boys to its Scouting units regardless of sexual orientation. However, the admission of openly gay leaders is inconsistent with the doctrines of the Church and what have traditionally been the values of the Boy Scouts of America.

As a global organization with members in 170 countries, the Church has long been evaluating the limitations that fully one-half of its youth face where Scouting is not available. Those worldwide needs combined with this vote by the BSA National Executive Board will be carefully reviewed by the leaders of the Church in the weeks ahead.”
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

this is very troubling, to say the least.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

it looks like I might be out of a calling.
John

Post by John »

So much for the Scout oath. Morally straight?
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."