Happy Independence Day!

Birthdays, anniversaries and holidays.
Tuly

Happy Independence Day!

Post by Tuly »

So why do we celebrate this holiday on July 4th?

In 1776, John Adams declared, "The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epocha in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forevermore."
:flag: :fireworks:
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Ian
Site Admin

Re: Happy Independence Day!

Post by Ian »

because they started signing the declaration of independence on july 4. they actually voted to declare independence on july 2, so that's an important date as well.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Happy July 4th!! - what's on your menu today?
This is from history.com -
Independence Day in the U.S., is an annual holiday commemorating the formal adoption by the Continental Congress of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, in Philadelphia. Although the signing of the Declaration was not completed until August, the Fourth of July holiday has been accepted as the official anniversary of U.S. independence and is celebrated in all states and territories of the U.S.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Edward

Post by Edward »

I'm having egg & sausages with avocado and tomato on a big hoagie roll for breakfast, and then a barbecue with hamburgers, hot dogs, chips, and watermelons. I LOVE Independence Day!

:fireworks: :flag: :fireworks:
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Lily

Post by Lily »

Happy Independence Day everyone! We're joining Steve's family for a barbecue, and I'm bringing a festive berry trifle. Yum!
Angela

Post by Angela »

:drool: berry trifle, so yummy.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

It is kind of nice to have Independence Day on a Sunday. It becomes more of a spiritual holiday.
Angela

Post by Angela »

it's a little early but...
Yay for freedom from the tyrannical rule of monarchs!
fouth.jpeg

Meanie-Bo-Deanie
George_III.jpg
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

:lol: and hooray for good old American Jello!!
Angela

Post by Angela »

jello1.jpg
jello.jpg
Steve

Post by Steve »

Angela wrote:Yay for freedom from the tyrannical rule of monarchs!
Meanie-Bo-Deanie
George_III.jpg
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Happy 4th - enjoy your well established American traditions!!! :flag: :fireworks:
Here are some inspiring thoughts -

WHAT MAKES AMERICA GREAT
(A summary of an address by J. Reuben Clark, Congressional Record, June 11, 1940.)

1. America has a government of laws, not of men; where allegiance is to lofty principles, not to powerful individuals.
2. It has three separate branches of government, providing a check and balance on each other.
3. The government derives its powers from the consent of the governed, and only as given by the people.
4. It is a federal system of self-government, where local affairs are in the hands of local governments.
5. The Bill of Rights, which places beyond government, the right of freedom of conscience and worship, the right of free speech and a free press, the right peaceably to assemble and petition government, the right to gain and hold property without molestation except by due process of law.
6. Its form of government and economics has created more progress and a greater standard of living than any other in history.
7. It has no scheme of conquest because it respects the rights of other peoples and nations and because it loves the ways of peace rather than war.
8. It abolished slavery even though deep-rooted in much of its economy and culture.
9. Its Constitution is divinely inspired to secure freedom and individual rights for its people.
10. America is a beacon of liberty and freedom to the world.
Angela

Post by Angela »

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
Steve

Post by Steve »

From Novus Ordo Saeclorum by Daniel N. Robinson, a Senior Fellow of BYU's Wheatley Institution:
July 4th is perhaps the perfect date on which to remind ourselves of the blessings of self-government, of the blood and treasure paid for it, and of the need to demand respect and good service from the servants' quarters. It is also an apt time to remind ourselves that the nation was created for those who were and those who longed to be Americans, whatever ethnic or clannish elements might be in their pedigree. And then there's this vexing matter of "rights". Yes, we finally settled on the ten amendments, but some wise heads were troubled by the notion of numbering them (as if the list were exhaustive), and more troubled by the implication that their source is in any sense political. One Founder (James Wilson) thought it odd that a people would endure the hardships of war in order to establish a government to tell them what rights they had! In the Spirit of '76, I say pray where you will, speak your mind, love your country and think "term limits" in the voting booth. Just saying...
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Edward

Post by Edward »

A tad late, aren't we Steve? Oh, and a Merry Christmas to you all!

:treebeard: Oh, Christmas Treebeard, oh Christmas Treebeard! How lovely are your branch-limbs!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2: