Interesting people in music

Post and discuss video clips here.
Bryn

Interesting people in music

Post by Bryn »

Link

I think this interview (and the others which I'll post later) is very interesting.
Widerstehe doch der Sünde
Ian
Site Admin

Re: Interesting people in music

Post by Ian »

glenn gould is definitely one of the most interesting people in music i've heard of. keep the videos coming.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I actually have been to that Steinway place in West 57th, it is very near to Carnegie Hall. They mentioned he had "absolute pitch" is that the same as perfect pitch?. I still an amazed that he memorizes those Bach pieces.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Absolute pitch is synonymous with perfect pitch, though I prefer the previous term. It seems to convey the absolute nature of pitch as perceived by the individual (in actuality, pitch more variable). Here's another clip from the same interview. What's really amazing is that Gould is able to play Webern of the top of his head (while singing along with it). Whether he played it by ear or by memory, it is pretty remarkable. I love when he asks, "is this shy music?"

Link
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Gould was an incredible musician, extremely sensitive to any period of music. I felt for the dreams he had about school, he probably should have been home schooled.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Edward

Post by Edward »

I like the name of this thread!

"I've always thought musicians led such EEEnteresting lives! And they must meet the most EEEnteresting people!"

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

David Munrow was a British scholar who helped revive interest in period instruments of the Medieval era and the Renaissance. The following segment is a compilation of him explaining and performing various period instruments. The first part is particularly interesting.

Link
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Here is David Munrow again performing on a Renaissance rackett.

Link
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I loved reading about Munrow. He went to Peru and Bolivia in 1960 to learn about the musical instruments from that region. I loved the pavan. Truly he is an interesting person.
John

Post by John »

Here's my vote for "interesting person in music"

Link
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Valery Gergiev is one of the world's great conductors. It is interesting to contrast the less experienced student conductor with the likes of Gergiev. The student conductor is, most likely, very bright and knowledgeable. He is a good conductor, and may even become great. Yet, there is a very noticeable difference in the way the two conduct; consequently, the orchestra sounds entirely different when Gergiev takes the baton. It is interesting how he manages to inspire and unite so many musicians with such a thickly orchestrated composition. Gergiev gets more direction and clarity out of the orchestra.

Link

My favorite part is right at 2:06.
Lily

Post by Lily »

I've had the opportunity to hear the Utah Symphony twice in the last few months, with two different conductors. I found it interesting to see the two very different styles. Thierry Fischer was almost over-the-top, but the visiting Russian conductor (?) was more subtle, yet clear. I'm not sure how the musicians felt, but I think I enjoyed watching the Russian conductor more.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

that gergiev video is very cool, thanks for posting.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

svejda played this glenn gould composition last night....

Link
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

incredible quartet this is not easy music to learn.