Superhero General Information

A forum for those with superhuman strength, superior mental power, and other supernatural abilities.

Some want to determine the points of power by using a set number of points to distribute between the catagories. All points start at one. How many points should be given?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:08 pm

20 points per person
56%
21 points per person
No votes
22 points per person
44%

Total votes: 9

Edward

Superhero General Information

Post by Edward »

DON'T VOTE UNTIL YOU READ THE FIRST TWO COMMENTS!!!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Edward

THE POLL

Post by Edward »

This thread is for the development of the family superhero team. Here you should put you numbers, powers, costumes, character stories, and any ideas or complaints you may have. The team is tentatively called "the inconceivables," though that is still subject to debate. All of the information will be compiled, organized, and catagorized by Edward under everybody's supervision, and he is subject to individual requests. The ultimate goal is to create a replica of Mom's marvel superhero book, with our characters which have our likenesses. It will be illustrated by Betsy and I, with graphics that will replicate the book.

OK, so we need a way to set limits on the numbers so that nobody has all 7's or anything. If all numbers start at one, for example, and we each have 20 points, that leaves 14 points to distribute in the other catagories. More than 20 will give more points to spread. Put in your vote and please comment on why you voted the way you did (or if you refused to vote and why). Thanks.
Last edited by Edward on Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

I say we all do what the heck we want to....I don't really think our powers should be limited to a point system either. It all seems so unimaginative. I like organization, but not restriction.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

this poll is too vague because we don't all know what the categories are. first we need to agree on categories, then decide how many points can be distrubuted. i disagree with betsy-i think that we need to have a quantifiable way to limit powers. otherwise everybody will be invincible and it will get stupid.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Angela

Post by Angela »

well, first off.... I have not voted because I'm not quite sure what kind of "system" that I want. I do agree with Ian that we need to agree on categories before any point system is set in stone. I suppose that that's all I'll say on the matter for now.

Peace Out
Angela

Post by Angela »

oh and by the way...... YOU'RE FIRED!
Emma

Post by Emma »

well let's see ah...i agree with ian and angela,we don't all know what the categories are. so there!!
The pants say: Just say no!
Steve

Categories

Post by Steve »

(Copied and pasted from an e-mail that Edward sent to me):

Strength (ability to lift weight)
1--weak--cannot lift own body weight
2--normal--able to lift own body weight
3--peak human--able to lift twice own body weight
4--superhuman--800lbs-25 ton range
5--superhuman--25-75 ton range
6--superhuman--75-100 ton range
7--incalculable--in excess of 100 tons

Intelligence (ability to think and process information)
1--slow/impaired
2--normal
3--learned
4--gifted
5--genius
6--super genius
7--omnicient

Energy Projection (ability to discharge energy)
1--none
2--ability to discharge energy on contact
3--short range/duration single energy type
4--medium range/duration single energy type
5--long range/duration single energy type
6--able to discharge multiple forms of energy
7--virtually unlimited command of all forms of energy

Fighting ability (proficiency in hand to hand combat)
1--poor
2--normal
3--some training
4--experienced fighter
5--master of a single form of combat
6--master of several forms of combat
7--master of all forms of combat

Durability (ability to resist or recover from bodily injury)
1--weak
2--normal
3--enhanced
4--regenerative
5--bulletproof
6--superhuman
7--virtually indestructible

Speed (ability to move over land by running or flight)
1--below normal
2--normal
3--superhuman--peak range 700mph
4--speed of sound - mach 1
5--supersonic - mach 2 through orbital velocity
6--speed of light--186,000 miles per second
7--warp speed--transcending light speed

Sorry guys--Lily and I were the ones who indirectly started this debate. We just thought it'd be pointless to have a "team" if we were all invincible in everything. We simply wouldn't need the help. Nobody wants to have crumby fighting skills or be slow as tar, but I think it does make it more interesting to have to sacrifice other categories if you want to be maxed out in your favorite. Characters are more than welcome to be well-rounded, but just know that someone who's focused specifically on a category is going to be better at it than you. Lily and I even thought it'd be fair to make a "7" count as an "8" for point totals which would act as a one-point penalty for being literally perfect in something (a feat unheard of even for super heroes). Anyway, I think around 22 is probably a good idea.

Hurray for long posts.

EDIT: Saw Ian's post below and going to have to agree. 20 is what I originally suggested to Edward yesterday, and I think it's a fair amount. If we did use 20, then I'd drop the idea of a "7" penalty and just count the powers at face value. This will give people the one extra point they needed to be able to "lift their own body weight." :lol: So change my vote to 20 points.
Last edited by Steve on Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

my vote would be for a number less than 20. i think this whole thing would be more interesting if superheroes were a little bit more "down-to-earth," relatively speaking. i think the number should be 20 at most.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Angela

Post by Angela »

I think that someone needs to get a hold of Mindy and invite her to this forum.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Angela wrote:I think that someone needs to get a hold of Mindy and invite her to this forum.
Done and done. I'll give the heads up to Lily, Bryn, Ann, Mindy, and (if weather permits) Andy.
Last edited by Steve on Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Emma

Post by Emma »

ok so i think that we shood have 20 points because peopel are going to be to stron, infact 20 points is stronger then Jean Grey,professor X and a hole lot of other realy powerfull heros, so yea. :P

p.s just to let you know Jean Grey has 18 points and professor X has 16 points and look how powerfull thay are!
The pants say: Just say no!
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

OH! Oh I got it. How bout a system of 5 points! Then we'll just be this crazy posse of unique humanoids who go around showing off thier random talents! It's inconceivably fantasically super! :shock:

Yeah, I'm kinda gonna be doing my own thing if ya'll haven't figured it out.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Betsy wrote:Yeah, I'm kinda gonna be doing my own thing if ya'll haven't figured it out.
Cool! Already we have a rogue member of the team who refuses to play by the rules and wants to go at it alone. This is straight out of the comic books! :wink:
Edward

I think...

Post by Edward »

I think that 20 should be the minimum number of those are the elected catagories. Yes we want balance and realism la la la but we also want a powerful team, not a bunch of doopy kids who can make cheeseburgers out of thin air. I still feel that the powers themselves take priority over numbers. I vote 20 at least.

BTW, if you all can send your finalized character names, costumes, and powers to me that will be great. We'll deal with the numbers once all the questions and opinions have been tallied. Betsy and I will need to start illustrating soon, so send you ideas along. Also Steve, your hero will require a lot of explanation--I can't quite comprehend the nature of your hero(s). Be as detailed as you want, as frankly I like the longer stories. Just make sure everyone can understand the exact, precise nature of his powers and, in your case, individuality. And Lily, get yours to us soon. Thanks!