Summer Reading 2009 (ongoing)

Discuss and review your favorite books here.
Tuly

Re: Summer Reading

Post by Tuly »

"Reading is a privileged pleasure because each of us enjoys it, quite complexly, in ways not replicable by anyone else. But there is enough structural common ground in the text itself so that we can talk to each other, about what we read: and that many-voiced conversation, with which, thankfully, we shall never have done, is one of the most gratifying responses to literary creation, second only to reading itself."
- Robert Alter -

1. Fablehaven by Brandon Mull
2. The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks for the recommendations. Several of the books mentioned are not to be found on Dailylit (and/or within the public domain). Books mentioned that are available include Treasure Island, Huck Finn, and Frankenstein. I've read these recommendations before, as well as others mentioned, but certainly there are books which deserve multiple reads. Thanks for the suggestions!
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Steve, have you read The Wind in the Willows?, I read it in dailylit. Here are more books I read.
1. Memorable Stories with a Message by Boyd K. Packer.
2. Ring Out! - A Book of Bells by Jane Yolen.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Steve

Post by Steve »

Yes, I've read The Wind in the Willows...and I loved that book. If anyone hasn't read it, I second the recommendation.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

In case you did not hear we have obtained 300 childrens books (free!!) from a private school that is closing (thanks Angela for the tip). This should be a fun Christmas. Here are the books I read and in some cases re-read:
1. How Do Dinosaurs Learn to Read by Jane Yolan and Mark Teague
2. Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig ( same author that wrote Shrek)
3. Goodnight, Goodnight by Eve Rice
4. The Happy Day by Ruth Krauss
5. Time of Wonder by Robert McCloskey ( I love his stories and illustrations)
6. Pack 109 by Mike Thaler (Thaler always has funny stories)
7. Max by Rachel Isadora (I love Isadora's illutrations)
8. The Smallest Cow in the World by Katherine Paterson (this is one of Betsy's favorite books)
9. Dear Peter Rabbit by Alma Flor Ada (great idea for a book)
10. Lentil by Robert McCloskey (another great book by McCloskey)
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Read more books:
1. New Shoes for Silvia by Johanna Hurwitz, illus. by Jerry Pinkney (I enjoy his illustrations)
2. At Grammy's House by Eve Rice (cool French grandma story)
3. One Monday Morning by Uri Shulevitz ( I love this NY apartment story, as well as his illustrations)
4. Choo, Choo - The Story of a Little Engine Who Ran Away by Virginia Lee Burton
5. Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile by Tomie dePaola (Great story! - Happy 75th Birthday Tomie!!)
6. Chicken Man by Michelle Edwards (Great story about a Kibbutz)
7. Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie by Peter and Connie Roop (memorable Reading Rainbow book)
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

that's cute, mom. i read the sports page today, does that count?
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

It's up to you if you want it to count.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I really enjoyed these books.
1. Johnny Appleseed by Reeve Lindbergh (Charles Lindbergh's daughter), illus by Kathy Jakobsen - Of all the Johnny Appleseed books out there, this is probably my favorite.
2. Sheila Rae the Brave by Kevin Henkes (This story reminded me of Margaret and Emma).
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

More enjoyable books by well known authors and illustrators.

1. Four Scary Stories by Tony Johnston, illus. by Tomie de Paola.
2. Burt Dow - Deep Water Man by Robert McCloskey.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Two more books, I enjoyed one of them. Surely some of you have read books by now?!!
1. A Long Way from Chicago by Richard Peck. (enjoyed)
2. Here Lies the Librarian by Richard Peck.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

o.k this book is very popular so I had to check it out. It is actually a youth sci-fi book. So anybody else reading anything else???!!!

1. The Dangerous Days of Daniel X by James Patterson (He has a cool website for children's literature.)
http://www.readkiddoread.com/home
Lily

Post by Lily »

The Power of Play, David Elkind
The Zookeeper's Wife, Diane Ackerman
Tuly

Re: Summer Reading 2009

Post by Tuly »

Hey Lily or Steve you guys have Bible Primer Old Testament, please tell me about the book? I'm anxious to get David Elkind's
Ties That Strees
John

Re: Summer Reading 2009

Post by John »

I just finished surely one of the greatest novels of all time.
The Brothers Karamazov.
Ian is right.
The last chapter must be one of the most moving, meaningful, creative, and powerful in literature.
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."