Summer Reading 2009 (ongoing)

Discuss and review your favorite books here.
Tuly

Re: Summer Reading 2009 (ongoing)

Post by Tuly »

I can't believe the end of our summer reading 2010 is next Tuesday. Please share some of your reading adventures.

1. Creating a Beautiful Home by Alexandra Stoddard. This is the second time I have read this book. It still inspires me to beautify our home. I love this book.
"Decorating is a process that should continue throughout your lifetime. Don't think of decorating, think of creating. Houses have to be loved and appreciated in order for them to grow naturally." - Alexandra Stoddard -
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Lily

Post by Lily »

Whoops, never posted the books I read this summer:

Sarah’s Quilt, by Nancy E. Turner
Miseducation: Preschoolers at Risk, by David Elkind
Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins
Catching Fire, by Suzanne Collins
The Help, by Kathryn Stockett
Cranford, by Elizabeth Gaskell
A Long Way From Chicago, by Richard Peck
A Heart Like His, by Virginia Pearce
Beezus and Ramona, by Beverly Cleary
A Quiet Heart, by Patricia Holland
From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, by E.L. Konigsburg
Martha Stewart’s Baking Handbook, by Martha Stewart

Looking back on this list, I apparently like to keep my summer reading "light" for the most part, as in, some quick fluff. With fall settling in, maybe I'm ready for some Brothers Karamazov or something else more substantial. :lecture:
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

We will start our summer reading program 2011 starting June 1st to September 1st. Thank you all to those who have shared their summer reading lists last year. I would love to see more of your lists of books that you have read. Here is an article on the benefits of summer reading. Frankly I'm for year round reading.
Science News
Summer Reading Is Key to Maintaining or Improving Students' Reading Skills

ScienceDaily (July 22, 2010) — To children, the summer slide means water, garden hoses and slippery plastic sheets. To teachers, the "summer slide" is the noted decrease in reading skills after a vacation without books.

University of Tennessee, Knoxville, faculty members Richard Allington and Anne McGill-Franzen have completed a three-year study showing a significantly higher level of reading achievement in students who received books for summer reading at home. Allington and McGill-Franzen are both professors of education; McGill-Franzen is also director of the Reading Center in the College of Education, Health and Human Sciences.

Allington compares the slide in reading ability to an athlete's fitness. "Just like hockey players lose some of their skills if they stay off their skates and off the ice for three months, children who do not read in the summer lose two to three months of reading development," Allington said.

According to the professors' research, the summer reading setback is the primary reason for the reading achievement gap between children who have access to reading materials at home and those who do not. Students who do not have books at home miss out on opportunities to read. Those missed opportunities can really add up.

"What we know is that children who do not read in the summer lose two to three months of reading development while kids who do read tend to gain a month of reading proficiency," Allington said. "This creates a three to four month gap every year. Every two or three years the kids who don't read in the summer fall a year behind the kids who do."

In designing their study, Allington and McGill-Franzen set up three important differences from previous studies on the summer slide. First, while other experiments lasted one year, their study ran three years from 2001 to 2004. McGill-Franzen said their study was designed to cover three summers because previous researchers had demonstrated that a single summer school session did not boost achievement.

Second, earlier studies had given the students pre-determined books, but in the Allington and McGill-Franzen study, students chose their books. Pop-culture books were the favorites, featuring musicians, athletes and television and movie characters.

"Research has demonstrated that choice makes a very important contribution to achievement," said McGill-Franzen.

The third difference was the grade levels. McGill-Franzen and Allington targeted younger students, who were in first and second grades at the beginning of the study. Previous studies were done on students completing third through sixth grades. The researchers randomly selected 852 children to receive books and 478 students to be in the control group.

The researchers' study found that summer reading is just as effective, if not more so, as summer school. McGill-Franzen and Allington compared their outcomes with studies on the impacts and costs of summer school attendance and found the summer reading program effect equal or even greater.

"We found our intervention was less expensive and less extensive than either providing summer school or engaging in comprehensive school reform," Allington said. "The effect was equal to the effect of summer school. Spending roughly $40 to $50 a year on free books for each child began to alleviate the achievement gap that occurs in the summer."

To get books into the hands of all children for summer reading, Allington and McGill-Franzen suggest keeping school libraries open during the summer break, sending books home with the students; and building on children's prior knowledge by providing books on pop culture and local animals and habitats.

The researchers' study will be published in the fall issue of Reading Psychology.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I just read these three books.
1. Through His Eyes - Rethinking What You Believe about Yourself by Virginia H. Pearce. Not one of my favorites by Pearce. I founded it somewhat therapeutic for Pearce dealing with her husbands death.

2. Garden of A Mother's Heart. A book of great quotes about Mother's. Prefect Mother's Day book.

3. Family Ties - A Message for Father's by L. Tom Perry. I really enjoyed this compilation of Elder Perry's classic talks.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

There is still a few weeks to summer reading 2011. I just read:
1. Ben and Me - An Astonishing Life of Benjamin Franklin By His Good Mouse Amos Discovered, Edited & Illustrated by Robert Lawson. Obviously this book is fiction. Lawson is a Caldecott Award winner. This is a charming, funny book.

2. On My Way by Tomie Depaola - This is another book from the 26 Fairmount Avenue Series. Since this is a Depaola biography book for children we get a good glimpse of a child growing up in 1940.

3. Here We All Are by Tomie Depaola - Same as above and more about his family.

4. What a Year by Tomie Depaola - More as above and I love the unity that Depaola has in his family as he was growing up.

By the way Lily how was the book The Help? It was just made into movie. Any questionable parts?
Lily

Post by Lily »

A movie?? There was some bad language, and I think some questionable things could be inferred, so I'm sure Hollywood will run with them. I'll be skipping it.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I like to check what Mission Viejo High requires for their summer honor reading classes. Some requirements never change. Is that possibly good?
Honors English Summer Reading
9th Grade:
• Mythology by Edith Hamilton
• Short Stories: “The Most Dangerous Game” by Richard Connell, “The Necklace” by Guy
de Maupassant, and “Cask of Amontillado” by Edgar Allen Poe (these can be found on
the internet).

10th Grade (AP Composition):
Choose one of the following memoirs:
• The Glass Castle by Jannette Walls
• The Invisible Wall by Harry Bernstein
• Funny in Farsi by Firoozeh Dumas
• All Over but the Shoutin’ by Rick Bragg

11th Grade (AP Literature):
• For One More Day by Mitch Albom
• Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
• The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

12th Grade (Humanities):
• Lord of the Flies by William Golding
• Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

mom, the standards are getting lower. i don't see a single book that was on the list when i went to mission high school, and the list wasn't great when i was there. chronicle of a death foretold? mitch albom? i'm dismayed.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Lily

Post by Lily »

The only one that may have been on my list is Lord of the Flies. This list kinda stinks, if you ask me.
Ann

Post by Ann »

Lord of the Flies was also on my list in Boise. Otherwise, I think the list at my school was better, but I'd have to look at it again to refresh my memory and see how I feel now.
I saw "The Help" last week and read the book a few months ago. Actually, the movie did not include some of the parts I was worried about so it was mainly the coarse language that bothered me. I felt that the casting was fairly true to the characters in the book, with some exceptions.
Lily

Post by Lily »

Good to hear, Ann. Maybe I'll check out the movie after all!
Angela

Post by Angela »

so, reading, eh? Well, I've been reading some stuff. I can't really call them books though. So, as far as my summer reading goes... I'm a failure. I shall resolve to do better in the fall/winter.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Thank you for your sincerity. If you read some interesting essays/articles/textbooks that would be fun to share. Anybody else like to share what they read this summer? childrens books?
Steve

Post by Steve »

I've read a lot of conference talks and other older addresses cited in those talks. I also re-read The Hobbit and am about half-way through Approaching Zion. I'm very interested in reading George MacDonald's works and Kenneth Grahame's works (I read The Wind in the Willows and loved it and Grahame apparently has some other works on childhood which had intriguing introductions).

Besides those, I've been reading a great many picture books with Jane.

...and also a lot of chapters on statistics and instructional design. Lots of reading in this grad program. Which is strange, because I thought grad school was all about having fun???
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Ann

Post by Ann »

Steve, do you mean to say that reading statistics is not fun?! :horror: