General Conference

All registered users can post here.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

The results are in... we can discuss over in the private forum.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Tuly

Re: General Conference

Post by Tuly »

We are near that wonderful time again - October 6th to 7th. Here is a great talk from President Uchtdorf.
General Conference - No Ordinary Blessing

http://www.lds.org/liahona/2011/09/gene ... g?lang=eng
In preparation for general conference, let me suggest three basic concepts that may help us to better receive, remember, and apply the words spoken by the Lord’s servants.
1. Members of the Church are entitled to personal revelation as they listen to and study the inspired words spoken at general conference.

As you prepare for general conference, I invite you to ponder questions you need to have answered. For example, you might yearn for direction and guidance by the Lord regarding challenges you are facing.

Answers to your specific prayers may come directly from a particular talk or from a specific phrase. At other times answers may come in a seemingly unrelated word, phrase, or song. A heart filled with gratitude for the blessings of life and an earnest desire to hear and follow the words of counsel will prepare the way for personal revelation.

2. Don’t discount a message merely because it sounds familiar.

Prophets have always taught by repetition; it is a law of learning. You will hear repetition in themes and doctrines in general conference. Let me reassure you: this is not due to a lack of creativity or imagination. We continue to hear messages on similar issues because the Lord is teaching and impressing upon our minds and hearts certain foundational principles of great eternal importance that must be understood and acted upon before we can move on to other things. A wise builder first lays the foundation before erecting the walls and the roof.

3. The words spoken at general conference should be a compass that points the way for us during the coming months.

If we listen to and follow the promptings of the Spirit, they will serve as a Liahona, guiding us through the unknown, challenging valleys and mountains that are ahead (see 1 Nephi 16).

Since the world began, God has raised up prophets who speak the will of heaven to the people of their times. It is our responsibility to listen and then apply the messages the Lord provides for us.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Breaking News — 6 October 2012
Church Lowers Age Requirement for Missionary Service -- (Press Conference Streamed Live Here at 12:30 P.M. MT)
Salt Lake City —

In a move to expand the opportunities for young members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to serve full-time missions, Church president Thomas S. Monson announced today that, effective immediately, men may now begin serving at age 18 and women at age 19.

The previous age for beginning missionary service was 19 years of age for young men and 21 for young women.

The announcement was made during the opening session of the Church’s 182nd Semiannual General Conference, broadcast worldwide from Salt Lake City, Utah.

President Monson said that missionaries will have to have graduated from high school or its equivalent, regardless of where they live.

“ I am not suggesting that all young men will—or should—serve at this earlier age,” President Monson said. Rather, he said, the option is now available based on individual circumstances, as well as upon a determination by local Church leaders.

The Church anticipates that lowering the age requirement will significantly increase the number of missionaries who will serve by expanding the options for when they may begin their service.
This is great news!!The press conference afterwards mentioned that the need is for more missionaries - the work of the gospel is hastening on. Like Elder Holland said to the future missionaries - "this is not about you." - Obviously in my opinion this means that in order for our missionaries be better prepared for their missions parents need to work more diligently in teaching the gospel, doctrine to their children at home .
Also a temple in Arequipa, Peru right where Mami's family grew up and where I stayed last May - how very exciting!!
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Lily

Post by Lily »

Yes, lots of exciting announcements this morning!
Lily

Post by Lily »

Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Yes this has been so exciting to see. It was also fun to hear in the Priesthood session President Uchtdorf mention his son's name - Guido.
Any winners yet for our name the title?
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Did any one hear about this? - Makes sense to me.

LDS Church urges attendance at priesthood conference

By Joseph Walker , Deseret News

Published: Thursday, Sept. 26 2013 1:35 p.m. MDT

SALT LAKE CITY — Leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are urging men and boys to attend the upcoming general conference priesthood session at the Conference Center or at their local satellite broadcast locations instead of staying home to watch it on TV or the Internet, now that those options are available.

In a letter to general and local ecclesiastical authorities of the church, the Presiding Bishopric, a general leadership council that has specific responsibility for temporal affairs as well as the youth of the church, said "priesthood holders are encouraged to attend the general priesthood meeting at their local chapel, where distances permit."

While acknowledging the recently announced availability of the priesthood session via live broadcasts on BYUtv, LDS.org and the Mormon Channel, the Presiding Bishopric observed that "the Saturday evening broadcast at meetinghouses represents an important tradition and is an especially uplifting experience for young men who hold the Aaronic Priesthood."

Local leaders were instructed to make sure this counsel is announced in priesthood meetings around the church this coming Sunday.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Another great General Conference. Interesting to hear that the 4th session of General Conference was President Monson's most inspiring conference in his life?!. I do love the scripture he quoted twice -
Joshua 1:5
5. There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.
What a wonderful prophet Joshua was. How challenging it must have been to follow Moses and lead the children of Israel. Our latter day prophet - Brigham Young was put in the same situation by having to follow Joseph Smith Jr. and lead the saints to the west.
I loved the family choir in the 2nd session. How brilliant to have families rehearsing and performing together.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

he said "one of the most" inspiring sessions.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Great idea on how to study General Conference.

http://www.lds.org/new-era/2013/06/stud ... e?lang=eng
1. Look for Invitations and Encouragements
General conference is one way the prophets and apostles invite us to do things to change our lives. Each time you encounter one of these invitations, jot it down. As you make a list, you’ll get a clearer idea of ways you can become better.

Also look for words of encouragement. Something a Church leader has said may be just what you or a friend needs to hear in a particular

2. Watch for Cause-and-Effect Statements
Cause-and-effect statements include an action and the blessings that come by following it. For example, President Thomas S. Monson said, “A knowledge of truth and the answers to our greatest questions come to us as we are obedient to the commandments of God.”3 In other words, if you are asking Heavenly Father for answers to questions you have, then you will receive them more readily when you show obedience to His commandments.

3. Prepare Questions
Think of the deep questions you have—about life, your family, friends, your calling, school, or anything else on your mind. As you study Church leaders’ messages, prayerfully ask the Lord for help with the issues you are facing. Sometimes the answer may come directly from the words you read, but at other times the Spirit may prompt you with the guidance or strength you need to deal with your situation because you’ve studied the words of prophets. Either way, you’ll discover that God communicates to us through Church leaders (see D&C 1:38). As you receive answers and promptings, be sure to write them down and apply them in your life.

4. Look for Lists
Church leaders frequently explain a series of steps or principles we can follow to accomplish goals or improve our lives. Sometimes these lists are easy to find because they are numbered or bulleted. Sometimes, however, lists may occur as a series in a sentence or spread out over several paragraphs.

5. Watch for Repeated Phrases and Overall Themes
Repetition is a great teacher. President Dieter F. Uchtdorf, Second Counselor in the First Presidency, taught, “Prophets have always taught by repetition; it is a law of learning. … We continue to hear messages on similar issues because the Lord is teaching and impressing upon our minds and hearts certain foundational principles of great eternal importance that must be understood and acted upon before we can move on to other things.”

Often, the more something is repeated, the more important it is for us at that moment. As you study conference, look for recurring doctrines, themes, and ideas. You might even review notes from previous conferences to identify topics that are emphasized over time.

6. Study Particular Words, Scripture References, and Notes
If a word seems unusual or sticks out in your mind, study it. Try to figure out why the speaker chose that specific word and what deeper meaning it has. To study a topic in more depth, read the scripture references and any notes listed at the end of a talk, or look in the “Topic Index” at the front of the Ensign to find more talks on the subject. In each May and November New Era, you’ll also find a list of frequently used scriptures from each conference.

7. Set Goals to Practice What You’ve Learned
As you study the words of the prophets, set goals that will help you grow. Then keep track of how you’re doing by writing in your journal. Measuring your development will make a huge difference in your success.
Lily

Post by Lily »

The Church has announced a new general women's meeting to be held semi-annually, and I think it's a wonderful thing!:
The general women’s meeting will be held the Saturday before each general conference and will be conducted by the general presidencies of the Relief Society, Young Women, and Primary organizations. All women, young women, and girls age eight years old and older will be invited to attend.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I love it!!. Only wished it happened when my daughters were young girls.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Lily, Jane, and Abigail are going to create some great memories in the near future. I will...go eat steak...when they go to their meeting?
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I'm so excited for General Conference and to have Lily, Steve, Jane and Abby enjoy this wonderful weekend with us. This is a link about what General Conference has for all of us.

https://www.lds.org/prophets-and-apostl ... 7&lang=eng

" I promise that if you will listen, you will feel the Spirit well up within you. The Lord will tell you what He wants you to do with your life. In conferences we can receive the word of the Lord meant just for us." —Elder Robert D. Hales
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Great idea by Elder Robert D. Hales - General Conference: Strengthening Faith and Testimony -

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2013/11/satu ... y?lang=eng

When I take notes at conference, I do not always write down exactly what the speaker is saying; I note the personalized direction the Spirit is giving me. - Elder Robert D. Hales