Hedonism

All registered users can post here.
Tuly

Hedonism

Post by Tuly »

In April's General Conference Elder Scott Grow mentioned his brothers problem with hedonism. This is a problem we can all easily have.
As a youth, my brother was handsome, friendly and outgoing―totally dedicated to the gospel. After serving an honorable mission, he married his sweetheart in the temple. They were blessed with a son and a daughter. His future was full of promise.

But then he gave in to a weakness. He chose to live a hedonistic lifestyle, which cost him his health, his marriage, and his membership in the Church.
One of my favorite BYU manuals is Strengthening our Families. Chapter 10 in this manual is one my favorites because it describes an LDS family (a fictional family named the Pleasant family - cool name) that has hedonistic problems. Here is the whole chapter that mentions other secular philosophies.

http://emp.byui.edu/websterb/links/Fait ... Prayer.htm

And some of my favorite quotes:
Hedonism in Its Many Manifestations

In order to understand what the Proclamation teaches us about families, we need to distinguish secular philosophy from the gospel of Jesus Christ. The pleasant family is trying to seek the happiness and joy of the gospel. However, the joy promised as a result of a relationship with Christ must be carefully separated from the pleasure, happiness, and fulfillment depicted in the popular culture.

The philosophy of hedonism teaches that it is human nature to seek pleasure and avoid pain. We often think of hedonistic lifestyle as promoting the eat, drink, and be merry@ conception of daily life (2 Ne. 28:7-8). However, there are many other, less obvious ways to get caught in this hedonistic trap. Pursuing material things is certainly one culturally acceptable way of getting trapped. President Spencer W. Kimball talked about modern-day idols that find their way into our lives. He warned that many people spend most of their time working in the service of a self-image that includes sufficient money, stocks,. . .credit cards, furnishings, automobiles, and the like to guarantee carnal security throughout, it is hoped, a long and happy life. When we place our trust in such worldly comforts they become our gods of silver, and gold, of brass, iron, wood, and stone, which see not, nor hear, nor know@ (Dan. 5:23).

Placing hope for happiness in such worldly goals is easy to do. We want to provide for our families and bless their lives. Looking to the world for ways to provide happiness, however, comes between us and our families as we devote more and more time to gaining the things of the world. We can forget that what will really bless our family has nothing to do with money or worldly achievements. Just as we want God to know and understand us, our family members want us to know and understand them. When all is said and done, what we remember most about our families is the time we spend together. The things we possess seem unimportant compared to the activities and associations we share with each other.

All too often, we think we are working extra hard for our families when actually we are working hard mainly for our own status and pride. If, for example, John Pleasant were honest with himself, he would know that the time he spends on Tom's car isn't purely about being with Tom. John knows that others in the neighborhood, including other fathers, pay attention to how well Tom's car performs. John feels that to make Tom happy, John has to make the fastest, slickest car in town. The time spent in the shop with Tom, and all the equipment his hobby requires, is as much about keeping up with the Joneses as it is about his son Tom. Certainly, it is good to spend time with Tom, but how much better would it be if Tom were himself the end, instead of the means to John's status in the neighborhood?

President Kimball reminds us that all our resources are to be used "in our families and quorums to build up the kingdom of God. . . to raise our children up as fruitful servants unto the Lord; to bless others in every way, that they may also be fruitful. We must be trying to bless others, rather than trying to accrue things and find our worth in them. The harder we run after the world, the further we will leave our families behind. And when our families see us chasing after the world, we cannot be preparing them to serve the Lord"
The Lord repeatedly promises us happiness and joy in the scriptures. To enter His kingdom and live with Him for eternity is described as never-ending happiness (Mosiah 2:41). But if we follow the commandments or live the gospel just so that we can make ourselves happy, happiness will elude us. Happiness that comes from the Lord cannot be separated from loving the Lord and doing His will. As such, that happiness cannot be pursued in itself. Christ made this clear when speaking of Lot's wife. Recall that she perished because her heart was not with the Lord but with her own happiness and worldly possessions: Remember Lots' wife. Whosoever shall lose his life shall preserve it (Luke 17:32-33). Christ clarifies in other scriptures what truly preserving life means: it means that those who lose their lives for His sake shall find them see matt. 10:39). Seeking or pursuing happiness for ourselves, even if it is through what we think are gospel principles, does not bring happiness. Only seeking to serve the Lord brings true happiness.

Hedonism is a philosophy that claims it is human nature to seek happiness and pleasure. However, the happiness of hedonism will never bring us the happiness found in the gospel of Jesus Christ. Hedonism deceptively points us toward the happiness of the world through possessions, status, and self, and away from our Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and our families. Hedonism also says that pain should and must be avoided in order for us to be happy. Christ, on the other hand, teaches us that we can find meaning in or trials. His own life is evidence of this. Our trials can strengthen our relationships with Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and our families. Hedonism ignores Christ's active and saving role in or lives and teaches us instead to seek our own comfort and happiness.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
King Noah

Re: Hedonism

Post by King Noah »

Tut, tut. Why do we waste so much talking on such long, boring words? Hedo-blah-blah-blah. Like other members of this droll forum, I've not posted on here in months, and that suits us just fine! Participate in a family discussion? Pah, I'd rather be petting my jaguar. Call a sister and see how she's doing? Forgot I had one.

Mom (you don't mind if I call you that, do you?), it certainly can't be said that you didn't give it the old college try. Your attempts to engage your children in any number of subjects has been, shall we say, admirable? For that I clap my hands together. Clap. Clap. Clap. But I'm afraid we are far too busy to actually talk with one another on this discussion board.

[yawn] Well, it was a real pleasure to stop in and say a few words. Oops, did I say pleasure? Oh, do excuse my naughty, "hedonistic" tendencies. Bwaha. Haha. Hahahahahaha. Oh, Noah old boy, you really have a way. Toodles!
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

no one in our family is too busy to participate in this forum. we need to refocus on "what matters most."
Taking time for each other is the key for harmony at home. We talk with, rather than about, each other. We learn from each other, and we appreciate our differences as well as our commonalities.

President Uchtdorf, Of Things That Matter Most, October 2010 General Conference
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Cousin Alex Hall

Post by Cousin Alex Hall »

I ain't got much to say besides BEST SUBJECT HEADER EVER!

I am reminded of the time in Elder's Quorum when an Elder, at a loss to comprehend how anyone lives without God, or the meaning that religion offers, asked just what people of such persuasions have to live for. My reply was, in two words: "Hedonism, baby."

Ah, yes..

Seriously though.. these teachings were useful to read, thx.
You refer to the prophecy of the pastry that will bring Balance to the Force. And you believe it's this.. Donut?
Our possibly neglected blog - My blog of probably mostly my art
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I thought I would revisit this thread. This thread is an easy one to overlook and yet if we are not careful it is an easy trap to fall into for all of us. So how can we prevent hedonism? - I just heard and read Elder Dallin H. Oaks talk - Be Not Deceived - General Conference October 2004 - https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... d?lang=eng
I will conclude by describing another subtle form of deception—the idea that it is enough to hear and believe without acting on that belief. Many prophets have taught against that deception. The Apostle James wrote, “Be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves” (James 1:22). King Benjamin taught, “And now, if you believe all these things see that ye do them” (Mosiah 4:10). And in modern revelation the Lord declares, “If you will that I give unto you a place in the celestial world, you must prepare yourselves by doing the things which I have commanded you and required of you” (D&C 78:7).

It is not enough to know that God lives, that Jesus Christ is our Savior, and that the gospel is true. We must take the high road by acting upon that knowledge. It is not enough to know that President Gordon B. Hinckley is God’s prophet. We must put his teachings to work in our lives. It is not enough to have a calling. We must fulfill our responsibilities. The things taught in this conference are not just to fill our minds. They are to motivate and guide our actions.
I also love this talk, from Elder Dallin H. Oaks - Good, Better, Best - General Conference October 2007- https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... t?lang=eng
In choosing how we spend time as a family, we should be careful not to exhaust our available time on things that are merely good and leave little time for that which is better or best. A friend took his young family on a series of summer vacation trips, including visits to memorable historic sites. At the end of the summer he asked his teenage son which of these good summer activities he enjoyed most. The father learned from the reply, and so did those he told of it. “The thing I liked best this summer,” the boy replied, “was the night you and I laid on the lawn and looked at the stars and talked.” Super family activities may be good for children, but they are not always better than one-on-one time with a loving parent.

The amount of children-and-parent time absorbed in the good activities of private lessons, team sports, and other school and club activities also needs to be carefully regulated. Otherwise, children will be overscheduled, and parents will be frazzled and frustrated. Parents should act to preserve time for family prayer, family scripture study, family home evening, and the other precious togetherness and individual one-on-one time that binds a family together and fixes children’s values on things of eternal worth. Parents should teach gospel priorities through what they do with their children.

Family experts have warned against what they call “the overscheduling of children.” In the last generation children are far busier and families spend far less time together. Among many measures of this disturbing trend are the reports that structured sports time has doubled, but children’s free time has declined by 12 hours per week, and unstructured outdoor activities have fallen by 50 percent.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31