Carl Jung

All registered users can post here.
Steve

Re: Carl Jung

Post by Steve »

What does "leave and believe" mean?

I struggle with the rationale behind your decision. The forum is as much yours as it is mine or anyone else's. It is a family forum. So in essence, you are part of what you perceive the forum to be. The forum is for the Huntington family. And, to be honest, this forum is just a digital representation of our relationship with each other. For better or worse (I say for better), we can't remove ourselves from our families.

The problem may lie in your association of the family forum with specific controversial debates where family members have gathered and challenged one another on some of our practices and beliefs. I've made the same mistake in the past. Going back through previous discussions, you can find instances where I shared my own frustration with the tone of responses. There have even been cases where I "called it quits" (it's like I'm sending you on a scavenger hunt). The reality of it all, though, is that the forum and its tone is as much my responsibility as it is the responsibility of the "offending person" in a conversation. I can continue to be civil according to my definition of civility. I can help contribute to the atmosphere I feel is needed. But I can't do that if I remove myself entirely from the place where conversations take place. It's really no different than a Sunday church meeting: if a debate erupts in the middle of Sunday School, and I don't approve of the position and tone of a fellow member, I have a number of options. But believe me, my first choice would not be to immediately declare to the entire ward body: "I'm leaving the church. I did not like this particular conversation, and despite whatever good may remain here, not to mention the covenants I made, I am abandoning it all until everyone behaves the way I'd like them to behave." These were the thoughts I had in those moments following disagreement, and so I took a moment to breathe, look at the big picture with the proper perspective, and jump back in.

Regardless of what you two ultimately decide, I'll try to find ways to communicate with you and check in on you. It makes it easier to find you in a central location, but I'm anxious to get to know you better wherever that may be. I know that Lily and I enjoyed our visit with you when you stopped in not too long ago. Despite our disagreements on a few issues, I am not anxious to detach myself from the family and you guys are family, plain and simple.

One final thought, maybe related, or maybe not:
There is a common misconception regarding respect for one another. I have seen the phrase "You don't respect my opinions" or something to that effect show up in the threads from time to time. I want to be clear that I believe respecting one another is very different than respecting everyone's opinion. If I'm of the belief that someone else's opinion is flawed, wholly false, or even downright evil, I need not respect it. Replace the word "respect" with "love" and it's the same thing—I need not love everything someone says. James, I am not suggesting that this is what you said just now, but I've noticed a pattern in remarks and I say this for all. The reason I bring it up now, I think, is in response to comments like:
"My efforts have been in vain. People do not understand us much better and the fire has only grown."
What are the metrics used to determine that your efforts have been in vain? Are you disappointed that others don't agree with you? I think I understand you better than I did before, but perhaps the results of that understanding are not what you would have hoped for. A productive conversation does not always assume that the two parties come to some sort of agreement. The discussion itself is an exercise where we learn from one another and discuss things that matter to us. But just because they matter to me doesn't make them right. And it certainly doesn't mean they need to matter to everyone.

Finally, you said:
Until I feel that this website is a safe place where there is respect (not just ostensibly), fairness, productivity, edification, teaching and learning not one-sided but rather two ways, I do not see a reason to keep posting.
I think all of us can be more kind, more loving, more respectful, more edifying, and more productive. There's no argument there. It'd be great to hold all conversations surrounded by perfect people. Our challenge in this life, especially among family, is to look past ourselves and stop trying to nail down what's in it for me (ie, this forum isn't meeting my needs so I'm leaving, or this ward isn't respectful enough so I'm outta here). Such a position is characterized by pride and selfishness—I challenge the universe to prove to me that it's not. When we relinquish that mindset and start to ask, "What can I do to make the forum a warmer place? What changes can I make to influence my family members for good?", we will be much happier.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

very well put.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Angela

Post by Angela »

thank you, steve for you comments. I agree with what you've said.

I will say that my brief comment wasn't directed to margaret or james. I was shocked and dismayed with the comments that alex made.
James

Post by James »

An honest consideration shows that my efforts have not been totally in vein. But I guess my heart is pained a bit because I know that the whole of the family thinks that I have been deceived. Because of this it seems that many have jumped on board to try to help Margaret and I. Therefore the discussion has a feel of the non-deceived camp trying to teach something to the deceived camp. Everything, despite any ostensible claims, seems to aim from several different directions at convincing us to reach a very specific conclusion. There is an "us and them" feeling. I am reminded of Micah's comments about the Jung thread during Christmas.
Steve

Post by Steve »

To be fair, though, what else can there be when two parties disagree on an issue? On that specific issue, it's going to be an "us and them" by default. Is there any way around that? I believe something quite different than what you believe when it comes to these philosophies. Apparently, a number of individuals in this family share my position. And there are a handful that share yours as well. I cannot dismiss my belief in order to validate yours. I believe you have been deceived and it would seem that others agree. But regardless of whether or not other family members agreed with my assessment, it doesn't change my belief. In other words, I do not believe what I do in order to be a member of the "non-deceived" group. Even if I stood alone on this issue, I would still believe the way I do based on what I've discerned for myself.

It's natural to feel the way you do, though. When we see numbers gathering in opposition to something we hold dear, it's common to feel attacked or threatened. It's much easier to side with the majority as it can often feel much safer. Please be reassured, however, that despite my strong feelings regarding these matters, this is a peaceful protest. I'm concerned and I've expressed that, but I'm not trying to hurt you, nor am I interested in ostracizing you or Margaret. Again, this forum is as much yours as it is mine and you're welcome to discuss the things you feel are important.

At any rate, there are many things in life we agree on. And there are likely more than a few things we disagree on where I would fall in the minority. If that were the case, though, I would consider both sides and try to determine for myself what was best. If I knew that I was in the right, despite standing alone, I'd be ok with that. But I certainly wouldn't be upset that people were concerned about my choices or that they quoted prophets and what not. And I would pay close attention to the things Mom and Dad said.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Angela

Post by Angela »

When I show concern for my child it's because I love them and want them to be safe and happy. I feel it's safe to assume that's what our parents want for all of us. And should my child ostracize him/herself from the rest of the family that can only have negative consequences for all involved.
Steve

Post by Steve »

For continuity's sake, here's a link to the thread where this discussion continued (for future reference).
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Isn't this getting into the private section? well I guess now that I think about only our family is interested in this :wink:
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Steve

Post by Steve »

I happened to read 2 Corinthians 11 this evening and thought I'd post it here for consideration by any interested parties.
James

Post by James »

Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Wow James you have been busy. Glad to hear that you have time to find all those videos of a show I never watched and now I'm glad that I din't, I had to look up who Ned Flanders is...so we are Ned Flanders in all those posts? - Okay so be it - this must be what ocd spiritualism looks like to you. :jawdrop:
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

i'm sensing that cortisol played a role here.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I think James is just being a little facetious for the sake of amusement. I wouldn't read too much into the video barrage.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hugo Munsterberg of Harvard University wrote, in his Psychology and Life, something of the past glory of the sacred records:
There is a truth, a beauty, a morality, which is independent of psychological conditions. Every straightforward man, to whom the duties of his real life are no sounding brass, speaks with a sound voice to the psychologist: "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
(Elder Levi Edgar Young, General Conference, October 1949)
John

Post by John »

Shakespeare, as ever, eclipsing Jung.
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."