Carl Jung

All registered users can post here.
Lily

Carl Jung

Post by Lily »

I've been doing a little bit of reading about Carl Jung since seeing that some family members are involved in a Jungian Temperament Typology club. Also, there is a movie coming out in the Fall (it's rated-R) called "A Dangerous Method" about the relationship between Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud. You can get a brief overview of Jung's troubled life here.

I still don't know much about him, but there is evidence that Jung dealt with the occult, induced hallucinations, and was, in his own words, "menaced by a psychosis." Maybe others of you have more to add to the topic of temperament typology, but I find Carl Jung as a source of personal "enlightenment" to be troublesome.

We recently read Galatians for Sunday School, where Paul wrote that “witchcraft” is one of “the works of the flesh,” from which they who have the Spirit of the Lord will turn away. (Galatians 5:19-21).

To me, Jung seems to be more of a mystic than a scientist. In Answers to Gospel Questions, President Joseph Fielding Smith offers some sound counsel: “The Lord has pointed out very clearly the course that we should take in obtaining inspiration for our guidance. When a person is baptized and receives the Holy Ghost, he is promised that he will receive the necessary guidance for his spiritual and temporal good, provided he is true to his covenants. The Lord will not dwell in unclean tabernacles. Therefore, in order that we may keep ourselves in harmony with the Spirit of the Lord, we must be mentally, spiritually, and bodily clean from every contaminating influence.”

Thoughts?
Ian
Site Admin

Re: Carl Jung

Post by Ian »

carl jung was an occultist. the latin word occultus means hidden. occultism is the study of hidden wisdom. it includes astrology, zodiac signs, ouija boards, sorcery, witchcraft, spiritualism, voodoo, alchemy, seances and so forth.

it ran in the family. carl’s maternal grandparents believed they saw ghosts, as did his mother. carl’s mother entered trance states and believed she communicated with the dead throughout her life. she had a split personality, and carl sometimes heard her speaking to herself in an unrecognizable voice. she was heavily involved in seances. for many years, carl attended seances with his mother and cousins.

carl had a split personality as well. as a boy, he perceived his second personality to be an intelligent man from the 18th century. later, he was visited by two people, an old man and a young woman, who identified themselves as elijah and salome. they were accompanied by a large black snake. elijah developed into philemon. philemon was a bald, white-bearded elderly man with bull’s horns and the wings of a kingfisher. “Philemon and other figures of my fantasies brought home to me the crucial insight that there are things in the psyche which I do not produce, but which produce themselves and have their own life. Philemon represented a force which was not myself. In my fantasies I held conversations with him, and he said things which I had not consciously thought. For I observed clearly that it was he who spoke, not I… Psychologically, Philemon represented superior insight. He was a mysterious figure to me. At times he seemed to me quite real, as if he were a living personality. I went walking up and down the garden with him, and to me he was what the Indians call a guru.”

carl became obsessed with occultism. he wrote to sigmund freud: “Occultism is another field we shall have to conquer - with the aid of the libido theory, it seems to me. At the moment I am looking into astrology, which seems indispensable for a proper understanding of mythology. There are strange and wondrous things in these lands of darkness. Please don't worry about my wanderings in these infinitudes. I shall return laden with rich booty for our knowledge of the human psyche.... For a while longer I must intoxicate myself on magic perfumes in order to fathom the secrets that lie hidden in the abysses of the unconscious…”

carl later recalled, “All my works, all my creative activity, has come from those initial fantasies and dreams.” his writings have spawned a cult following, even among some members of the church. this is troubling.

elder john a. widtsoe offered good advice:
It is always wise to read and practice that which is clear and understandable, and to leave the dim and mysterious until further prophetic revelation is received. Occultism, and all manner of darkness, which too often lead to self-deception, are unacceptable to Latter-day Saints. We concern ourselves only with that which is clear and understandable. We know that with the progress of time, increasing light will come as we may have need. Moreover, we know that we should not waste our valuable time and energies on remote and doubtful matters, but rather direct our efforts towards the study and practice of the clearly stated principles of conduct embodied in the gospel of Jesus Christ. That is the direct method of obtaining light and truth, the goal of every Latter-day Saint.”

John A. Widtsoe, Evidences and Reconciliations, p. 96.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Ann

Post by Ann »

very informative posts. thanks to you both. I was going to ask what a temperament typology club is but I looked it up - although I would be interested in finding out what this group does from the participants themselves. I found what I am assuming is their facebook page (UVU Temperament Typology Group) but I'm not on facebook. will post more later but we are going to the children's museum this morning for the last time.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I would like to point the affected parties toward a few refreshingly clear and simple gospel principles.
  • 1 Samuel 16:7, a scripture mastery scripture:
    But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart.
    See also President Thomas S. Monson's 2000 first presidency message entitled Labels.

Typing is wrong.
  • 2 Nephi 2:27, another scripture mastery scripture:
    Wherefore, men are free according to the flesh; and all things are given them which are expedient unto man. And they are free to choose liberty and eternal life, through the great Mediator of all men, or to choose captivity and death, according to the captivity and power of the devil; for he seeketh that all men might be miserable like unto himself.
    Note the phrase "all things are given them which are expedient unto man." We do not need outside sources to tell us about ourselves and what we're capable of. We don't need outside sources to tell us if we're good matches for our spouses or as "match-making" aids prior to marriage. We are agents unto ourselves. We can look to Heavenly Father and his prophets for guidance, live worthily while seeking inspiration and support from the Holy Ghost (a member of the godhead), and then rest assured that all things expedient to us will have been given.

Match-making and typing are wrong.
  • Galatians 1:6-12:
    6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.

11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.
  • 2 Nephi 9:28-29, another scripture mastery passage:
    28 O that cunning plan of the evil one! O the vainness, and the frailties, and the foolishness of men! When they are learned they think they are wise, and they hearken not unto the counsel of God, for they set it aside, supposing they know of themselves, wherefore, their wisdom is foolishness and it profiteth them not. And they shall perish.

29 But to be learned is good if they hearken unto the counsels of God.
  • Elder Tad R. Callister said the following in October 2009 General Conference:
    Through Joseph Smith have been restored all the powers, keys, teachings, and ordinances necessary for salvation and exaltation. You cannot go anywhere else in the world and get that. It is not to be found in any other church. It is not to be found in any philosophy of man or scientific digest or individual pilgrimage, however intellectual it may seem. Salvation is to be found in one place alone, as so designated by the Lord Himself when He said that this is “the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth” (D&C 1:30).
    Why do we seek these philosophies of men when we have pure scripture and personal revelation?

Seeking spiritual knowledge from so-called philosophers rather than the Lord's clear, direct channels is wrong.
I conclude with a quote by Elder Quentin L. Cook, and one more well-known scripture:
  • From Elder Cook's talk Looking Beyond the Mark:
    Some people seem to be embarrassed by the simplicity of the Savior’s message. They want to add complexity and even obscurity to the truth to make it more intellectually challenging or more compatible with current academic trends. The Apostasy occurred in part because of this problem. The early Christians adopted the Greek philosophical traditions, trying to reconcile their own beliefs with the existing culture. The historian Will Durant wrote: “Christianity did not destroy paganism; it adopted it. The Greek mind, dying, came to a transmigrated life.”

Some in their spiritual immaturity attempt to appear sophisticated and intellectual. Instead of accepting revelation, they want to dissect it and add dimensions and variations of meaning that distort its beautiful truths. As Elder Neal A. Maxwell of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles has pointed out, “The Jewish people … rejected the gospel, in part because it lacked adequate intellectual embroidery.” We look beyond the mark when we refuse to accept simple gospel truths for what they are.
  • Joshua 24:14-15, yet another scripture mastery passage:
    14 Now therefore fear the Lord, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the Lord.

15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
John

Post by John »

That we be not obscure or passive aggressive in this discourse, let us speak clearly and openly.
From what I have been informed, some of our dear and good loved ones are involved in a group/club/organization (how best should we characterize it)
that espouses some of the aforementioned writings of Carl Jung and others of his ilk, in the apparent effort to enhance their understanding of people and communication.
Perhaps they themselves would like to contribute to the discussion?

I fully endorse the wise and appropriate responses I have read thus far on this thread.
Jungian and other like philosophies, however captivating and intellectually stimulating, are potentially a distraction from and not an enhancement of gospel truth.
They sometimes successfully lure even some of the elect into petty spiritualism by masquerading as genuine spirituality. I am personally familiar with a number of sad cases where such pursuits have led to heartbreaking apostasy.

I hope that my loved ones will feel inclined instead to turn to the better way of scripturally-, prophetically-, divinely-based understanding of self and each other and the world, and by so doing avoid the inevitably destructive allurements of false philosophies, of which Carl Jung's is one.

For myself, I take these posts to be moved by concern and affection.
We run the risk of being misinterpreted as patronizing, but that is not the intent, and it is a risk which we are duty bound to take in the effort to keep our loved ones safe. We have no need to puff ourselves up. My desire is only to encourage loved ones away from error.
Last edited by John on Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
John

Post by John »

From Bruce R. McConkie:

"True religion comes from God by revelation. It is manifest to and understood by those with a talent for spirituality. It is hidden, unknown, and mysterious to all others. To comprehend the things of the world, one must be intellectually enlightened;...to know and understand the things of God, one must be spiritually enlightened. One of the great fallacies of modern Christendom is turning for religious guidance to those who are highly endowed intellectually, rather than to those who comprehend the things of the Spirit, to those who receive personal revelation for the Holy Ghost."
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

I kind of doubt that Margaret or James are taking jungian philosophy to be gospel...I think I shall allow them to speak for themselves before I make any assumptions.

Dad said:
" Jungian and other like philosophies, however captivating and intellectually stimulating, are a distraction from and not an enhancement of gospel "

While I don't think we should include "Psychology and Alchemy" in our daily scripture study, I find Jung's ideas to be intriguing... Or even, in dads words, "intellectually stimulating". Does the gospel celebrate intellectual stimulation still? I agree that the occultist stuff is weird, but that's not the entire basis of his philosophies. Quite simply, I don't think I'm sacrificing precious time learning about him.

We spend an awful lot of time "counseling" when maybe we should be discussing. Let's try it and see if we don't get more responses on the message boards. I think it would make mom happy....just a thought.

"affected parties?" Yeesh. They have names.
Lily

Post by Lily »

For the record, I didn't include names in the first place because I put this thread in the public forum. Maybe a better "discussion" could occur in the private forum?
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

I'll also add that I believe council to be appropriate in the right place. A public discussion board is probably not the best place.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I used "affected parties" because I'm not just referring to James and Margaret. My post was directed at anyone who seeks answers to spiritually-bound questions from any source derived from man. Betsy, this could very well be a discussion if we had participation. This is a forum, not a web page. There's a "post reply" button at the bottom of every page, and any individual can click on it in order to share their points of view.

In this case, you've shared your opinion that Jung's ideas are intriguing or intellectually stimulating. I would be very interested to hear what you find of worth in his philosophies, and why you believe it is necessary to sift through evil and unholy content to find the "pearls" rather than simply focusing on pure sources for light and truth. The same invitation is extended to any who read this forum who share your beliefs regarding Jung and other philosophers. It would be a very interesting discussion for me.

EDIT: And I agree with Lily. The counsel that's been given is of public interest. We did not intend to discuss personal, individual matters in a public thread, but simply to share very beautiful, public principles of the gospel with all who are willing to read them. If we'd like to move the remaining portion of this discussion behind closed doors, I think that's perfectly fine. But the words of the prophets that have been shared so far are for everyone's consumption and I would not feel ashamed to have Google's entire user base find those things.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
John

Post by John »

Duly chastened, I have edited.

I appreciate Ian's informed, thorough and reasoned initial overview of Jung's work.
Obviously, awareness of his philosophy can be helpful and appropriate, but the embracing of it ?...

not-sa-much.
Angela

Post by Angela »

I hope that Margaret and James will come out and explain their reasons for wanting
To celebrate and discuss the ideology of Carl Jung.
I'm not the most well versed in his life or ideals but from what I have read he's just not someone I would spend my time on. I feel that a lot of his ideas can certainly be a very slippery slope for people and, to be quite frank, shouldn't be touched.

I personally feel that I have no issue with any topic being discussed in the public forum because I have nothing to hide. However personal the issue I would hope that strangers reading would be able to see evolution and resolution of the discussion. I think something that would make not only make mom happy but a good deal of the members of this family happy is to have a discussion with everyone involved. I highly doubt that moving this thread to the private section is going to get any more discussion than if it remains in the public forum.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

i'll try to follow betsy’s counsel to discuss carl jung. specifically, i’ll discuss his ideas of psychological types.

carl jung described two attitude types: introverted and extroverted. he also described four functional types: thinking, feeling, sensation and intuition. he further asserted that to carry on functional behavior, one must be able to do two things: perceive and judge.

some people have used these eight concepts as a basis for the practice of temperament typing. these people believe that everyone has a temperament type. for example, you are either introverted or extroverted. you are inclined to think or to feel. you lean toward sensation or intuition. you tend to perceive or to judge.

this allows for sixteen possible combinations. for example, you might be introverted and intuitive and thinking and perceiving. the goal is to discover your true temperament type.

people have devised many variations of jungian temperament typing. some people simply assign different names to the types, others have added a few temperament traits to the equation. but it’s all based on this idea of temperament. what is temperament? where did the idea come from?

the temperaments come from astrology. throughout history, astrologers have created theories based on the twelve signs of the zodiac. ancient egyptians and babylonians used astrology to read omens and predict future events. ancient greeks began using astrology for medical science and psychology.

the greek philosopher empedocles (ca. 490 b.c.) believed that the universe is made of four elements: air, fire, earth and water. Each element corresponded with three signs of the zodiac. air corresponded with gemini, libra and aquarius. fire corresponded with aries, leo and sagittarius. earth corresponded with taurus, virgo and capricorn. water corresponded with cancer, scorpio and pisces.

the greek physician hippocrates (ca. 460 b.c.) believed that the four elements corresponded with four bodily fluids, or “humors”: blood (air), yellow bile (fire), black bile (earth) and phlegm (water). he believed that all illness was caused by an imbalance of the four humors.

the greek physician claudius galen (129 a.d.) combined the bodily humors with personality characteristics: sanguine (blood), choleric (yellow bile), melancholic (black bile) and phlegmatic (phlegm). galen brought these theories to the roman world. galen’s home town of pergamum (also known as pergamos) was the renowned site of a pagan temple of healing, and is referenced in the book of revelation.

many greeks and romans believed that personality and bodily fluids were influenced by atmospheric changes in air, fire, earth and water, and by planetary influences. A proper balance of the temperaments was essential. the word temperament comes from the latin word, temperamentum, which means “proper mixture.” for centuries, people have tried using the temperaments to improve the human condition.

carl jung was just another astrologer. his four functional types are nothing new: thinking (sanguine), intuition (choleric), sensation (melancholy), feeling (phlegmatic).

temperament typing is like casting a horoscope or reading a palm. these practices all come from the same source. they appear to work because people want them to work, but they are rooted in lies, because they are inspired by the author of lies.
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Angela

Post by Angela »

Thanks Ian for the research.

I hate that these methods are always pigeon holing people. You're either this or that. I think the same person can/will react differently to one situation depending on how they're feeling or what's happened during the day or any other number of variables. Sometimes I react one way to a situation but then at another time I'll react a different way depending on a lot of things. I refuse to be pigeon holed by these face/palm reading astrologers. Reading this made me think of how much the asian community is in to this stuff. I do not have too much fire, or my yin and yang are off balance.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Not to mention that such philosophies disregard the Atonement. Typing, or labeling (as President Monson says), people does indeed pigeonhole them. It's a damning influence that tries to convince the person that they are what we think they are rather than the children of Divinity with unlimited potential—rather than what Heavenly Father knows they are. I think Betsy may feel I'm a little too passionate in my opposition to these "intellectually stimulating" things, and perhaps some agree with her (and I wish they'd speak up), but make no mistake: these are some of the specific things we're warned about in the temple. Satan uses these exact things to try and confuse, distract, complicate, and demoralize. At best, the intent is to turn our attention away from the plain and simple truths. At worst, and I do assume Satan is always trying to do the worst possible, these philosophies will dim the lights of revelation, slow (or even halt) our eternal progression, and modify our perceptions toward that which we've been taught is right.

Those who ignore these warnings, perhaps assuming they are above such influence and are purely bound to the material academically, will one day find that it is not so. My counsel to you, and I think it corresponds closely to the warnings pronounced by prophets through every dispensation, is to distance yourself from these things and rededicate yourself to those things which draw you nearer to Christ.