Brian Selznick (1966-

Discuss and review your favorite books here.
Tuly

Brian Selznick (1966-

Post by Tuly »

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick. Some of you might remember Selznick from his award winning book The Invention of Hugo Cabret. The movie of The Invention of Hugo Cabret is coming out this November by the name of Hugo. I loved Wonderstruck. Selznick's illustrations and story are so interesting. He really did his research about the Deaf culture since his brother is deaf in one ear and so is his main character Ben . A lot of the story is based in NY. Selznick is coming to Mission Viejo to promote Wonderstruck. I recommend this book to anyone over the age of 8-years old.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Re: Brian Selznick (1966-

Post by Tuly »

Selznick's new book The Marvels was a disappointment to me. The Marvels is about the generations of a theater family. This story has a same sex agenda that unfortunately perpetuates the myth that all theater people have same sex attraction issues. I liked his other graphic novels.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Angela

Re: Brian Selznick (1966-

Post by Angela »

I don't think I would even go so far as to say that The Marvels was about a theater family. Also, I did enjoy The Invention of Hugo Cabret but I did not like Wonderstruck. I'm so very tired of books, movies, whatever, that really make it a point to be against parents. The parents are always the bad guys. Parents are great, so Boo to those types of media.