Happy Thanksgiving Day!!

Birthdays, anniversaries and holidays.
Tuly

Happy Thanksgiving Day!!

Post by Tuly »

How embarrassing that I have a "Oh boy turkey facts" thread but not a Thanksgiving Day thread in our celebrations section. This is a quote by President Monson -
Our realization of what is most important in life goes hand in hand with gratitude for our blessings.

Said one well-known author: “Both abundance and lack [of abundance] exist simultaneously in our lives, as parallel realities. It is always our conscious choice which secret garden we will tend … when we choose not to focus on what is missing from our lives but are grateful for the abundance that’s present—love, health, family, friends, work, the joys of nature, and personal pursuits that bring us [happiness]—the wasteland of illusion falls away and we experience heaven on earth.” 6

In the Doctrine and Covenants, section 88, verse 33, we are told: “For what doth it profit a man if a gift is bestowed upon him, and he receive not the gift? Behold, he rejoices not in that which is given unto him, neither rejoices in him who is the giver of the gift.”

I am a too much of a worrier about the future, "that is my one weakness".

I rejoice the fact that I have a wonderful husband and 12 extraordinary children and 9 almost 10 above average grandchildren. Thank you all for making me so happy.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Steve

Re: Happy Thanksgiving Day!!

Post by Steve »

I think I speak for all your children when I express gratitude for goodly parents.

So, was that a reference to Lark Rise to Candleford?
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

:eyebrows:
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I am so thankful for so many people, events, places, memories and gifts that I feel overwhelmed when I think about all of them.

“Thou shalt thank the Lord thy God in all things.” (D&C 59:7.)
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

This is from lds.org

A Thanksgiving for Religious Freedom

21 November 2011 — Salt Lake City

They sought to breathe a freer air,
To worship God unchain'd —
They welcomed pain and danger here,
When rights like these were gain'd.
—Author Unknown

As the United States celebrates Thanksgiving, citizens across the nation gather with family and friends to commemorate the shared gratitude between the English pilgrims and the local Native Americans. During this season, many recount the history of these English pilgrims.

Persecuted, arrested and fined for their form of Christianity, these so-called separatists fled their beloved mother country to find what the governor of Plymouth, William Bradford, called “freedom of religion for all men.” After a ten-year sojourn in Holland, the separatists prayerfully decided to depart for America.

Some members of their congregation, including the group’s long-time preacher, John Robinson, stayed behind in Holland. Edward Winslow, a fellow worshipper, recorded Robinson’s tender farewell address: “[Robinson] charged us before God and his blessed Angels … [that] if God should reveal anything to us by any other instrument of his, to be as ready to receive it, as ever we were to receive any truth by his Ministry: For he was very confident the Lord had more truth and light yet to break forth out of his holy Word.”

According to the account, Robinson also commented on the reformed churches of the day, stating that “though [Calvin and Luther] were precious shining lights in their times, yet God had not revealed his whole will to them: And were they now living … they would be as ready and willing to embrace further light, as that they had received.”

For members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons), Robinson’s premonition that “the Lord had more truth and light yet to break forth” proved prophetic. Latter-day Saints believe that the pilgrims, among many others, helped create the environment of religious freedom in the United States that paved the way for a restoration of Christ’s ancient church.

Speaking to the body of the Church in 2005, Elder Robert D. Hales of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles recounted that as “religious persecution in England continued … many were prompted to seek freedom in new lands. Among them were the Pilgrims, who landed in the Americas in 1620.”

“Other colonists soon followed,” he continued, “including those like Roger Williams, founder and later governor of Rhode Island. ... Williams said that there was no regularly constituted church of Christ on earth, nor any person authorized to administer any church ordinance, nor could there be until new apostles were sent by the great Head of the church, for whose coming he was seeking.”

In the 18th century, the founders of the United States established religious freedom for all citizens through the Bill of Rights. This newly secured liberty allowed for the lawful establishment of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

In 2009, Elder Dallin H. Oaks stated, “‘For the rights and protection of all flesh’ the United States Constitution includes in its First Amendment the guarantees of free exercise of religion and free speech and press.”

“Without these great fundamentals of the Constitution,” he continued, “America could not have served as the host nation for the restoration of the gospel, which began just three decades after the Bill of Rights was ratified.”

Though The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints began in 1830 with only six members, today it is a global religion with more than half of its 14 million members living outside the United States.

As a result of the Church’s global membership, the Thanksgiving holiday is not celebrated by most of its members. Yet the pilgrims’ historical role in fostering religious freedom and their example of gratitude resonate with people around the world, especially Latter-day Saints.

In 1843, Joseph Smith said with regard to religious liberty, “I am bold to declare before Heaven that I am just as ready to die in defending the rights of a Presbytarian [sic], a Baptist, or a good man of any other denomination; for the same principle which would trample upon the rights of the Latter-day Saints would trample upon the rights of the Roman Catholics, or of any other denomination.”

More recently, Latter-day Saint Apostles have frequently emphasized the importance of religious liberty (see a list of discourses here), and the current president of the Church, Thomas S. Monson, has highlighted the Thanksgiving holiday’s theme of gratitude.

“A grateful heart … comes through expressing gratitude to our Heavenly Father for His blessings and to those around us for all that they bring into our lives,” said President Monson in a 2010 address. “This requires conscious effort—at least until we have truly learned and cultivated an attitude of gratitude. … When we encounter challenges and problems in our lives, it is often difficult for us to focus on our blessings. However, if we reach deep enough and look hard enough, we will be able to feel and recognize just how much we have been given.”

In the United States of America and many other nations around the world, people are grateful to God for their blessings during this time of year; among these blessings is that of religious freedom.
Lily

Post by Lily »

Happy Thanksgiving, dear family! So thankful for each of you.

We're baking pie and watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade. Life is good.

Hoping you all enjoy your respective feasts!
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Same to you Motts! we are having the missionaries and the Anderson's over for dinner.
Emma

Post by Emma »

Thanks for giving everybody!! I too am thankful for our lovely family.
The pants say: Just say no!
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Did you guys know about this? Hope you all have a lovely Thanksgiving Day!!
In the United States, legend has it that during the difficult year of 1623 the Pilgrims survived on a daily ration of just five kernels of parched corn per person.

Traditionally, the five kernels of corn represent the blessings of autumn beauty, love, family, friendship and freedom. In many U.S. homes today, that tradition is continued as five kernels of corn are placed on each dinner plate symbolizing the Pilgrim's hardship and creating in our own hearts a reflection of the bounteous blessings in our lives and homes.
Steve

Post by Steve »

In memory of that legend, I will limit myself to just five pieces of pie after the meal this Thanksgiving.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Happy Thanksgiving dear ones!!!
President Monson: Divine Gift of Gratitude

“My brothers and sisters, to express gratitude is gracious and honorable, to enact gratitude is generous and noble, but to live with gratitude ever in our hearts is to touch heaven.

“It is my prayer that in addition to all else for which we are grateful, we may ever reflect our gratitude for our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. His glorious gospel provides answers to life’s greatest questions: Where did we come from? Why are we here? Where do our spirits go when we die?

“That gospel brings to those who live in darkness the light of divine truth.

“He taught us how to pray. He taught us how to live. He taught us how to die. His life is a legacy of love. The sick He healed; the downtrodden He lifted; the sinner He saved.

“Ultimately, He stood alone. Some Apostles doubted; one betrayed Him. The Roman soldiers pierced His side. The angry mob took His life. There yet rings from Golgotha’s hill His compassionate words: ‘Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.’

“Who was this ‘man of sorrows, … acquainted with grief’? ‘Who is this King of glory,’ this Lord of lords? He is our Master. He is our Savior. He is the Son of God. He is the Author of our salvation. He beckons, ‘Follow me.’ He instructs, ‘Go, and do thou likewise.’ He pleads, ‘Keep my commandments.’

“Let us follow Him. Let us emulate His example. Let us obey His words. By so doing, we give to Him the divine gift of gratitude.”
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Happy Thanksgiving dear family. I thank you for making me so very happy!!!
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

"We are not poor, we just don't have money" - I will list how I count my blessings everyday and not in any order of importance. I am so grateful for each of you and I love you all so very much. Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Our Father and His Son Jesus Christ
John
Ian
Angela
Oliver
Simon
Hugh
Rhys
Lily
Steve
Jane
Abby
Henry
Bryn
Ann
Caleb
Hyrum
Eliza
Edward
Betsy
Micah
Pippa
Margaret
James
Beatrice
Emma
Mami
Guido
Lily

Post by Lily »

This is a great article, in light of it being Thanksgiving Eve:

What Think You of Thanksgiving?
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Loved this talk Lily and so grateful that Thanksgiving day is a day to share our many blessings with so many people we love and hence it becomes a religious holiday to us. - Happy Thanksgiving!! - first thanksgiving day without our Emma.