Family and Individual Scripture Study

All registered users can post here.
Tuly

Family and Individual Scripture Study

Post by Tuly »

I feel our family have witnessed and received the blessings of family scripture study. What works for every family is a matter of individual, creative process. And as you will notice change as children get older I really believe improves scripture study. Nevertheless consistency is crucial. Here is a website of scripture teaching manuals to aid families. I hope we can post other websites and blogs that focus on scripture aids for families.

http://www.bookofmormondiscovery.com/index.html

Of course nothing beats just reading the scriptures to our families and the example of parents being the example of studying the scriptures daily (there are no holidays from reading the scriptures).
So what works for you all?

This is a great article by President Henry Eyring - A Discussion on Scripture Study

http://www.lds.org/ensign/2005/07/a-dis ... y?lang=eng

How can Latter-day Saints make scripture study a priority?

Elder Eyring: The only way you can be sure that a busy schedule doesn’t crowd out scripture study is to establish a regular time to study the scriptures. I have found that the beginning of the day and the end of the day are mine. Those are times I can usually control. So my pattern since I was a boy has been to read my scriptures at the beginning and end of the day. I read the Book of Mormon many times before I was 18 because of that pattern.

When I am in situations where I break out of the pattern, it’s hard on me. Once you get used to regular scripture study, you miss it if you don’t have it. It’s like food—you have to have it. I know that I need the scriptures like I need food. I don’t miss a regular meal, and I don’t miss regular scripture study.

How can parents help their children love the scriptures?

Elder Eyring: All of us have had various experiences and success with family scripture study, particularly as our children become teenagers. When they’re little, gathering them around and reading the scriptures together is easier. As they get a little older, it can sometimes be harder to do. I know many families are very successful in getting their family up at some very early hour and they read the scriptures and then they read at night. But there are many patterns.

For me at least, and I think my six children would agree, scripture study works well only if your children know you love the scriptures and they also know as individuals that you love them. Then whatever pattern you have will work. If scripture study is forced for either them or you, if your children feel pushed, or if you don’t really love the scriptures yourself, then scripture study doesn’t have as much power.

It’s important to read the scriptures together in a way that lets your children know you include them because you love them. However, reading together may break down during the teenage years. Teens may say, “I’d rather read on my own.” My encouragement to families in that situation is to see that as victory, not defeat. Your child may be saying, “I’m getting something when I’m alone that I don’t get when we’re all here together.” Take that as a wonderful sign that scripture study is beginning to take hold in your teen’s heart. The main purpose is to fall in love with the scriptures and feast upon them, whether we are alone or together.

You have to be realistic. Let teens know you love them. Make sure they know you love the scriptures. However, if they want to go to their rooms and read, let them. They’ll find their own pattern and fall in love with the scriptures.

I’m blessed with a wife who absolutely loves the scriptures. If I ask her, “What would you like to do?” she says, “Oh, read me the scriptures.” I think our children have sensed that it wasn’t a duty for us to read the scriptures—it was a pleasure.

Last edited by Tuly on Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Steve

Re: Family Scripture Study

Post by Steve »

We read from the Book of Mormon each evening at approximately 7:45pm (just before family prayer and Abby's bedtime). Now that I think about it, we used to try to incorporate the illustrated Book of Mormon reader from time to time, but we haven't done that in a while. We may make an important conference talk part of our family study in the future as well.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I got this great quote from Teaching, No Greater Calling which manual I have found very helpful with all my callings especially the calling of parent. Steve I'm trying to find that pamphlet.
If you teach youth, you may sometimes think that they do not want to talk about doctrines and principles of the gospel. You may be tempted to simply be friendly to them, keeping them entertained and talking with them about their social activities and their experiences at school. This would be a serious mistake. President J. Reuben Clark Jr. said:
“The youth of the Church are hungry for things of the Spirit; they are eager to learn the gospel, and they want it straight, undiluted. …
“These students as they come to you are spiritually working on toward a maturity which they will early reach if you but feed them the right food. …
“… You do not have to sneak up behind [them] and whisper religion in [their] ears; you can come right out, face to face, and talk with [them]. You do not need to disguise religious truths with a cloak of worldly things; you can bring these truths to [them] openly, in their natural guise. … There is no need for gradual approaches, for ‘bedtime’ stories, for coddling, for patronizing” (The Charted Course of the Church in Education, rev. ed. [pamphlet, 1994], 3, 6, 9).
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Steve

Post by Steve »

The Charted Course of the Church in Education - LINK

EDIT: Thank you for sharing that message. Wonderful. I will read through this pamphlet as well!
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Steve

Post by Steve »

The pamphlet is excellent. Here were some highlights for me:
I shall speak very frankly, for we have passed the place where we may wisely talk in ambiguous words and veiled phrases. We must say plainly what we mean, because the future of our youth, both here on earth and in the hereafter, as also the welfare of the whole Church, are at stake.
[These students] should be encouraged in all proper ways to do these things which they know to be true, but they do not need to have a year’s course of instruction to make them believe and know them.
These students, born under the covenant, can understand that age and maturity and intellectual training are not in any way or to any degree necessary to communion with the Lord and His Spirit.
...our Church schools cannot be manned by unconverted, untestimonied teachers.
Not unknown are cases where men of presumed faith, holding responsible positions, have felt that, since by affirming their full faith they might call down upon themselves the ridicule of their unbelieving colleagues, they must either modify or explain away their faith, or destructively dilute it, or even pretend to cast it away. Such are hypocrites to their colleagues and to their co-religionists. An object of pity (not of scorn, as some would have it) is that man or woman who, having the truth and knowing it, finds it necessary either to repudiate the truth or to compromise with error in order that he may live with or among unbelievers without subjecting himself to their disfavor or derision as he supposes. ... For there is nothing the world so values and reveres as the man who, having righteous convictions, stands for them in any and all circumstances; there is nothing toward which the world turns more contempt than the man who, having righteous convictions, either slips away from them, abandons them, or repudiates them. For any Latter-day Saint psychologist, chemist, physicist, geologist, archeologist, or any other scientist, to explain away, or misinterpret, or evade or elude, or most of all, to repudiate or to deny the great fundamental doctrines of the Church in which he professes to believe, is to give the lie to his intellect, to lose his self-respect, to bring sorrow to his friends, to break the hearts and bring shame to his parents, to besmirch the Church and its members, and to forfeit the respect and honor of those whom he has sought, by his course, to win as friends and helpers.
I do not wish to wound any feelings. But before trying on the newest fangled ideas in any line of thought, education, activity, or what not, experts should just stop and consider that however backward they think we are, and however backward we may actually be in some things, in other things we are far out in the lead, and therefore these new methods may be old, if not worn out, with us.
...to apply to our spiritually minded and religiously alert youth a plan evolved to teach religion to youth having no interest or concern in matters of the Spirit would not only fail in meeting our actual religious needs, but would tend to destroy the best qualities which our youth now possess.
...along with the other quotes you already posted. Good words from J. Reuben Clark, Jr.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Thank you for the link Steve. I have been reading and studying it also. I loved this quote you posted -
For there is nothing the world so values and reveres as the man who, having righteous convictions, stands for them in any and all circumstances; there is nothing toward which the world turns more contempt than the man who, having righteous convictions, either slips away from them, abandons them, or repudiates them. For any Latter-day Saint psychologist, chemist, physicist, geologist, archeologist, or any other scientist, to explain away, or misinterpret, or evade or elude, or most of all, to repudiate or to deny the great fundamental doctrines of the Church in which he professes to believe, is to give the lie to his intellect, to lose his self-respect, to bring sorrow to his friends, to break the hearts and bring shame to his parents, to besmirch the Church and its members, and to forfeit the respect and honor of those whom he has sought, by his course, to win as friends and helpers.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I have noticed a huge improvement in my scripture study by following Elder Oaks counsel.

https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/ ... s?lang=eng
“There’s one thing that I’ve learned about scripture study… and that is that it is a great mistake to try to read the scriptures like you read a magazine or a newspaper. What I refer to is the fact that I pick up a newspaper and I just read it, or I pick up a magazine or a textbook and I just read it. But when I pick up the scriptures, I’m picking up the word of God, written by prophets under the influence of the Spirit of the Lord. Those should never be read without praying over them first.

“When I go to the table to eat, I don’t take physical nourishment without asking the Lord to bless that food to nourish and strengthen my body. Similarly, I think when we study the scriptures, we should bow our head and pray—often it would be silently because of the surroundings—but we would pray that the Lord would bless us that we’d be able to understand what we’re reading and that the act of reading the scriptures would summon the Spirit of the Lord to guide us on things other than simply the meaning of what we’re reading. In this way the scriptures can be a Urim and Thummim to help us receive revelation. But it begins with prayer; it doesn’t begin with reading, like a newspaper or a magazine.” (“A Panel Discussion with Elder Dallin H. Oaks,” Seminaries and Institutes of Religion Broadcast, August 7, 2012)
Ann

Re: Family and Individual Scripture Study

Post by Ann »

Great topic! I'm always looking for ways to improve my personal and family scripture study (as opposed to just reading). We read from the Book of Mormon in the boys' room along with a few bedtime books and prior to family prayer. We also have a book that is a collection of Book of Mormon stories with illustrations. We often read this as well and the boys enjoy hearing and discussing the stories over and over again. I would also like to incorporate a few verses into our morning routine, perhaps ones that we can memorize together.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I have been reading on ways I can improve my scripture reading and came upon this article that I thoroughly enjoyed. Family Scripture Study - Ensign September 1987 - https://www.lds.org/ensign/1987/09/fami ... y?lang=eng
Ways to Study

1. Read it aloud. The tradition of reading aloud as a family diminished with the advent of radio, then almost disappeared after television was invented. Today, too few families participate in a tradition that for centuries bonded hearts and fostered learning. Arthur Henry King, a retired professor of English at Brigham Young University and currently president of the London Temple, stresses that children can learn to love the scriptures by listening to their parents read them: “The most important thing we can read to our children is the scriptures. … The voices we hear as little children remain with us, so parents must read the scriptures to their children as early as possible. The child who hears the scriptures in the loved voices of his father and mother will come, through that love, to understand the scriptures and appreciate them in the best way. … Through the voice of their parents, children can … become familiar with the voice of the Lord.” (The Abundance of the Heart, Salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1986, pp. 221–22.)
We may choose to read topically or consecutively through the scriptures. Or, while children are still young, we may read and reread the same favorites, thus giving that “loved voice” to the language of the scriptures. The more this kind of sharing can occur, the more familiar the language of the scriptures becomes to our children, and the more approachable the scriptures will be.

2. Memorize it. Besides reading aloud, another traditional method of study is to memorize selected passages of scripture. Young children can memorize simple verses, and they will feel a great sense of satisfaction from their accomplishments.
3. Look it up. The appendix in the new edition of the LDS scriptures provides an excellent tool for gospel study. When reading aloud as a family, you can find definitions of important words in the Bible dictionary, identify scriptures containing the same words in the topical guide, and locate geographical areas on the maps. As children become familiar with these helps, their understanding of the scriptures increases, and they make them a meaningful part of their lives.
4. Tape record it. Parents can record gospel-related stories for children to listen to. This approach is especially helpful for busy parents and those who must be gone from home for extended periods of time.
5. Discuss it. Educators are concerned that today’s students cannot express themselves well verbally. Family discussions are excellent ways to strengthen this skill, as well as broaden gospel understanding. Families can discuss:
—The content of lessons taught in classes at church or seminary.

—Talks given in sacrament meetings or conferences.

—Articles in Church magazines.

—Poetry, stories, or books that have wholesome themes.

—Current events relating to the gospel.

—Current movies and television shows whose themes promote the gospel.

6. Share it. Give family members, according to their ages and abilities, a chance to share with the family what they learn about the gospel. Following are some ideas for making this approach a successful part of family gospel study:
—Ask your children to help teach a family home evening lesson.

—Ask a family member to prepare a short talk on a gospel subject.

—Let a member of the family choose a favorite story from scripture or Church history and tell it in his own words to the rest of the family.

—If family members have Church teaching responsibilities, encourage them to practice giving their lessons or talks to the family.

7. Plan a family-study activity. Following are some suggestions for family activities:
—Have members of the family write their own stories or poems about gospel subjects and compile them into a family book.

—Play question and word games using people, events, and principles from the standard works.

—Begin a family art gallery of pictures and clay models of scriptural stories, historical events, or gospel principles in action.

—Prepare a family program of songs, scriptures, and stories to share with the elderly or nonmembers.

—Make a family “filmstrip” of a scripture story using a camera with slide film and a tape recorder.
Number 7 brought back memories of our families attempts to do a video of some of the primary songs like - Follow the Prophet and Book of Mormon Stories. My favorite moment was when Bryn played Samuel the Lamanite on the wall near the garbage cans and we used straws to "kill him" - reminded me of President Eyring's Christmas Devotional 2016 -
https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/ ... e?lang=eng
The early drafts of our pageant called for a limited number of players, all playing parts from scripture. I was Joseph, my wife was Mary, and a doll was the Christ child. The cast filled out over time. We added a small actor who portrayed the baby Jesus, then came shepherds—dressed in bathrobes—to worship at the manger, and next we were able to add kings bearing jeweled boxes to honor the newborn King.

After a few years, we opened the pageant with a child who portrayed Samuel the Lamanite standing to testify with prophetic power of the future birth of the promised Messiah. In time, we added a disbelieving crowd armed with aluminum foil balls to throw at Samuel as he stood before them. Each year, as the members of the angry mob grew stronger and more accurate, we had to remind them forcefully that Samuel could not be hit because he was God’s protected servant—and because we were inviting and celebrating peace!
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I love non-fiction books as much as I love children's literature. The ones I am the most attracted to are: parenting books, organization books, education books and certainly scripture study books. I am currently studying - Scripture Study-The Power of the Word Teacher Manual -

https://www.lds.org/manual/scripture-st ... l?lang=eng
Share the following experience Elder Boyd K. Packer had with pondering the scriptures. He was reading 2 Timothy 3:1–7,
1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,

7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

where Paul described the evil that would exist in the last days. Elder Packer related:
“While studying one day, I read to that point and sat pondering about all the evidence that now confirms every element in that prophecy. There was a mood of very deep gloom and foreboding, a very ominous feeling of frustration, almost futility. I glanced down the page, and one word stood out, not accidently I think. I read it eagerly and then discovered that the apostle who had prophesied all of that trouble had included in the same discourse the immunization against all of it [see 2 Timothy 3:13–17].

13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

14 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them;

15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

“… The word that stood out on the page—scriptures
” (Teach the Scriptures, 5).
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I did not know there was a term for twisting or forcing an incorrect interpretation of a scripture - wresting the scriptures.
I love learning something new every day.

https://www.lds.org/manual/scripture-st ... 0?lang=eng
Dictionaries usually define the word wrest to mean to twist, force, or divert to an unnatural or improper use. To wrest the scriptures is to twist them or force an incorrect interpretation on them. In the following statement, Elder Marion G. Romney, then a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, pointed out the distinction between wresting and searching the scriptures:
“The word search [in the scriptures] means to inquire into, study, and examine for the purpose of discovering the meaning of. Searching implies more than just reading or even memorizing.

“When Jesus told the Jews to ‘search the scriptures,’ he was talking to men who prided themselves on their acquaintance with the scriptures. They had spent their lives reading and memorizing them. They could and did quote reams and reams of scripture in support of their apostate rules and rituals. They had wholly failed, however, to discover the true message of the scriptures. …

“This incident from the life and teachings of Jesus [John 5:39] graphically distinguishes between searching and wresting the scriptures and reveals the awful consequences of wresting them. Searching them for the purpose of discovering what they teach as enjoined by Jesus is a far cry from hunting through them for the purpose of finding passages which can be pressed into service to support a predetermined conclusion. ‘Behold,’ said Alma, ‘the scriptures are before you; if ye will wrest them it shall be to your own destruction.’ (Alma 13:20)” (“Search the Scriptures,” Improvement Era, Jan. 1958, 26).
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I was enlightened by this talk President Ezra Taft Benson gave - "This address, prepared for delivery at the Friday, 4 April 1986, Priesthood Leadership Meeting, was delivered in part by President Benson. The complete text is printed here at his request."
Please read the complete talk - it will save your life, our lives.

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1986/05/the- ... d?lang=eng
“We live in a day of great challenge. We live in that time of which the Lord spoke when he said, ‘Peace shall be taken from the earth, and the devil shall have power over his own dominion.’ (D&C 1:35.) … Satan is waging war against the members of the Church who have testimonies and are trying to keep the commandments. And while many of our members are remaining faithful and strong, some are wavering. Some are falling. …

“… This is an answer to the great challenge of our time. The word of God, as found in the scriptures, in the words of living prophets, and in personal revelation, has the power to fortify the Saints and arm them with the Spirit so they can resist evil, hold fast to the good, and find joy in this life. …

“… President Harold B. Lee told the regional representatives:

“‘We are convinced that our members are hungry for the gospel, undiluted, with its abundant truths and insights. … There are those who have seemed to forget that the most powerful weapons the Lord has given us against all that is evil are His own declarations, the plain simple doctrines of salvation as found in the scriptures.’ …

“… One of the most important things you can do … is to immerse yourselves in the scriptures. Search them diligently. Feast upon the words of Christ. Learn the doctrine. Master the principles that are found therein. There are few other efforts that will bring greater dividends to your calling. There are few other ways to gain greater inspiration as you serve.

“… When individual members and families immerse themselves in the scriptures regularly and consistently, these other areas of activity [missions, temple marriage, sacrament meeting attendance] will automatically come. Testimonies will increase. Commitment will be strengthened. Families will be fortified. Personal revelation will flow. …

“Success in righteousness, the power to avoid deception and resist temptation, guidance in our daily lives, healing of the soul—these are but a few of the promises the Lord has given to those who will come to His word. …

“… I urge you to recommit yourselves to a study of the scriptures. Immerse yourselves in them daily so you will have the power of the Spirit to attend you”
I honestly believe and testify of the power of studying the scriptures - every day!. We are missing out so much by not routinely immersing ourselves in studying the scriptures - every day!!
Steve

Post by Steve »

That is a remarkable talk filled with remarkable reminders and promises. I hope to be more diligent in my scripture study and in preaching the blessings of the scriptures to others. Thanks very much for the must-read talk.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I was reminded how much I appreciate Elder Jay E. Jensen's contributions on how to study the scriptures - This is his BYU Speeches talk - “That All May Be Edified” - August 16, 2011

https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/jay-e-je ... edified-2/

This is his instruction with the help of Elder Boyd Packer on becoming a diligent learner -
The scriptures themselves are our best sources on learning and teaching—the Savior being the perfect model of a learner/teacher. In addition to the scriptures, an extremely valuable source is the interview Elder L. Tom Perry conducted with President Boyd K. Packer published in the June 2007 Ensign—the printed version of the February 10, 2007, Worldwide Leadership Training Meeting: Learning and Teaching satellite broadcast. In the following list I draw upon President Packer’s wise counsel and add one or two thoughts of my own. Each is introduced with “I am becoming a diligent learner”:

when I am teachable and want to learn.
when I study, search, ponder, and liken the scriptures to myself and my circumstances.
when I ask questions and listen to both what is said by the teacher and not said verbally by others but by the Spirit to me.
when I do not resent correction or instruction.
when I stay at it and demonstrate persistence.
when I observe others, especially the example and counsel of older people.
when I pray in specifics for myself and for the teacher.
when I retire early and arise early (see D&C 88:124).
when I write impressions.
when I am a punctual, reverent listener in Church meetings and at home.