Alexander McCall Smith (1948 - )

Discuss and review your favorite books here.
Tuly

Alexander McCall Smith (1948 - )

Post by Tuly »

Alexander McCall Smith is a very prolific writer. I love some of his books and can't stand some of his books. I love some of his The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series but not all. I enjoy his - The Professor Dr. von Igelfeld Entertainment series. The last book I read of Smith was La's Orchestra Saves the World I think it was meant to be funny however it is about WWII so it was a bit sad. Here is his website.

http://www.randomhouse.com/features/mcc ... h/main.php
Last edited by Tuly on Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Re: Alexander McCall Smith

Post by Tuly »

I have read by Smith:

1. Portuguese Irregular Verbs: A Professor Dr von Igelfeld Entertainment Novel (1) - Portuguese Irregular Verbs is comprised of eight short stories about events in the lives of three philologists who are friends. Dr von Igelfeld is the primary character. His friends are fellow philologists, Professor Dr Detlev Amadeus Unterholzer and Professor Dr Dr Florianus Prinzel. Germans all.

2. The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs (novel 2) - Von Igelfeld also undergoes psychotherapy, which is characteristically unproductive, and lectures to elderly vacationers on a cruise ship on such captivating subjects as "Portuguese, a Deviant Spanish?," and "The Perfect Imperfect."

3. At the Villa of Reduced Circumstances (novel 3) -
It's not mandatory to read "Portuguese Irregular Verbs" and "The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs" before reading this book, but you might as well, because (a) they're very short, (b) they're very funny, and (c) there are references to stories in the preceding books.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31