Gratitude

All registered users can post here.
Tuly

Re: Gratitude

Post by Tuly »

Consider the Blessings - President Thomas S. Monson - October 2012

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... =blessings

Reinforced constantly during my own review of the years has been my knowledge that our prayers are heard and answered. We are familiar with the truth found in 2 Nephi in the Book of Mormon: “Men are, that they might have joy.” I testify that much of that joy comes as we recognize that we can communicate with our Heavenly Father through prayer and that those prayers will be heard and answered—perhaps not how and when we expected they would be answered, but they will be answered and by a Heavenly Father who knows and loves us perfectly and who desires our happiness. Hasn’t He promised us, “Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers”?
Again, my brothers and sisters, our Heavenly Father is aware of our needs and will help us as we call upon Him for assistance. I believe that no concern of ours is too small or insignificant. The Lord is in the details of our lives.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

The Divine Gift of Gratitude - Wonderful talk by President Thomas Monson - October 2010

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... e?lang=eng
My brothers and sisters, to express gratitude is gracious and honorable, to enact gratitude is generous and noble, but to live with gratitude ever in our hearts is to touch heaven.
In the book of Matthew in the Bible, we have another account of gratitude, this time as an expression from the Savior. As He traveled in the wilderness for three days, more than 4,000 people followed and traveled with Him. He took compassion on them, for they may not have eaten during the entire three days. His disciples, however, questioned, “Whence should we have so much bread in the wilderness, as to fill so great a multitude?” Like many of us, the disciples saw only what was lacking.

“And Jesus saith unto them, How many loaves have ye? And [the disciples] said, Seven, and a few little fishes.

“And [Jesus] commanded the multitude to sit down on the ground.

“And he took the seven loaves and the fishes, and gave thanks, and brake them, and gave to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitude.”

Notice that the Savior gave thanks for what they had—and a miracle followed: “And they did all eat, and were filled: and they took up of the broken meat that was left seven baskets full.”
We have all experienced times when our focus is on what we lack rather than on our blessings. Said the Greek philosopher Epictetus, “He is a wise man who does not grieve for the things which he has not, but rejoices for those which he has.”
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Happy Pioneer Day!! - this is a great thread to read, I think any time one feels overwhelmed. Today though I am grateful for the faith and tenacity of our pioneers. This quote is from President Uchtdotf's talk - Grateful in Any Circumstances[/b - which is already in this thread.
We can choose to be like the Mormon Pioneers, who maintained a spirit of gratitude during their slow and painful trek toward the Great Salt Lake , even singing and dancing and glorying in the goodness of God. Many of us would have been inclined to withdraw, complain and agonize about the difficulty of the journey.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I had a chance to really study President Uchtdorf's talk - Grateful in Any Circumstances - https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... s?lang=eng

And identified one of my weaknesses - the dread of endings - I thought the problem was just dealing with change, no, it really is endings. Thank you President Uchtdorf for helping me identify and solve an issue that I have dealt with for a very long time. Endings are merely interruptions.

In light of what we know about our eternal destiny, is it any wonder that whenever we face the bitter endings of life, they seem unacceptable to us? There seems to be something inside of us that resists endings.

Why is this? Because we are made of the stuff of eternity. We are eternal beings, children of the Almighty God, whose name is Endless and who promises eternal blessings without number. Endings are not our destiny.

The more we learn about the gospel of Jesus Christ, the more we realize that endings here in mortality are not endings at all. They are merely interruptions—temporary pauses that one day will seem small compared to the eternal joy awaiting the faithful.

How grateful I am to my Heavenly Father that in His plan there are no true endings, only everlasting beginnings.
Here is another great talk on gratitude - Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin - "Live in Thanksgiving Daily" https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/joseph-b ... ing-daily/
In the Book of Mormon we learn that we should “live in thanksgiving daily” (Alma 34:38). Isn’t that a wonderful thought? To live in thanksgiving daily? Can you imagine how your life would improve if you lived in thanksgiving daily? Can you imagine how your life would improve if others did the same? Do you think the world would be a happier place? Less stressful? Less angry? More spiritual?

President Joseph F. Smith proclaimed:

The grateful man sees so much in the world to be thankful for, and with him the good outweighs the evil. Love overpowers jealousy, and light drives darkness out of his life. Pride destroys our gratitude and sets up selfishness in its place. How much happier we are in the presence of a grateful and loving soul, and how careful we should be to cultivate, through the medium of a prayerful life, a thankful attitude toward God and man! [GD, 263]
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I have been working much harder on being more grateful. I finally have started a gratitude journal, it is so simple to do, yet it has taken me years to finally do it. Here is a talk on gratitude by none other than Ray L. Huntington - BYU Speeches October 2, 2012 - A Grateful Heart

https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/ray-l-hu ... ful-heart/

Another psychologist, Dr. Jeffrey Froh, summarized the practice of gratitude in this way:

As gratitude involves wanting what one has rather than having what one wants, instilling a sense of gratitude may help people appreciate the gifts of the moment and experience freedom from past regrets and future anxieties.

Indeed, over the past decade there has been a growing body of scientific literature linking the practice of consistent or “chronic” gratitude with a host of positive outcomes for our lives. Said one researcher, “The practice of gratitude is incompatible with negative emotions and may actually diminish or deter such feelings as anger, bitterness, and greed.” It is little wonder, then, that both ancient and modern philosophers recognized the value of gratitude—from the Roman philosopher Cicero, who stated that gratitude is “not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others” to David Steindl-Rast, a Benedictine monk who penned these beautiful words: “The root of joy is gratefulness. . . . It is not joy that makes us grateful; it is gratitude that makes us joyful.”
My first scripture: Psalm 24:1–2:

The earth is the Lord’s, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.

For he hath founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the floods.

In a similar statement, the Psalmist also wrote, “The heavens are thine, the earth also is thine: as for the world and the fulness thereof, thou hast founded them.”

The earth and all of its creations—everything—belong to God. He has ownership and blesses us with His possessions—even the gift of life. Yet, I sometimes feel a sense of entitlement and find myself thinking about what I created, what I purchased, and what I own: property, car, food, clothing, and my health. But, in reality, brothers and sisters, I have created nothing; I own nothing. As the Psalmist proclaimed, the rightful owner is Heavenly Father—He who graciously bestows His creations (including the air I breathe) for me to use in the short season I am here in mortality. That kind of heavenly, divine benevolence deserves our highest gratitude and praise!
Steve

Post by Steve »

I really need that reminder—I know I forget from time to time that these things aren't mine, that I'm merely borrowing the goods that belong to Heavenly Father. That certainly shifts my perspective as it pertains to gathering and hoarding or being overly-protective of my property. It also helps me to keep my focus on treasures in heaven.

A wise elders quorum instructor once taught me that gratitude is simply seeing things as they really are. I've never forgotten that. "When dark clouds of trouble hang o'er us," we can know that they are for our good and be grateful, or rather, truly be grateful such that we know that they are for our good. Come what may, seeing things as they really are will enable us to have eternally grateful hearts.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Yes, I know it's Halloween, but I really appreciated this parable by James E. Talmage. actually this parable fits in many other threads. I'm grateful for a God that accepts my simple small offerings.
The Grateful Cat—A Parable
By James E. Talmage

He told the story of a naturalist in the nineteenth century who had been called to a grand estate in Great Britain to be honored for his contributions in the world of science. He left his cottage early in the morning to go for a walk, and while he was out walking, he saw two boys down by the lake. He also heard the frantic meowing of a cat; and so, curious, he walked down to see what was happening.
When he arrived he saw the two boys with a mother cat and some kittens. The boys were taking each kitten, tying it up in a rag with a rock, and tossing it into the lake. As you can imagine, the mother cat was just frantic, watching her kittens being drowned.
A little upset, the naturalist asked the boys what they were doing. It turned out to be quite innocent on their part. The mistress of the great estate had an old mother cat that she loved, but she didn't want any more cats around. Whenever the mother cat had a litter, the woman hired the two boys, who were children of some of the servants, to go down to the lake and drown the kittens.
The naturalist talked to the boys and said he would make sure they didn't get in trouble, but he would take care of the remaining three kittens. To the scientist's surprise, the mother cat behaved as if she understood exactly what was happening. As he walked back to his cottage with the kittens, she ran alongside him, rubbed his leg, and purred happily. He took the kittens into his cottage, gave them some milk, and put them in a warm boat.
The next day, when all of the company was gathered together in the great house to honor the scientist, suddenly the door pushed open and in came the mother cat with a large fat mouse in her mouth. She walked to the scientist and laid the mouse at his feet.
In the words of Elder Talmage, here is the marvelous parable that he drew from this story:
"What think you of the offering, and the purpose that prompted the act? A live mouse, fleshy and fat! Within the cat's power of possible estimation and judgment it was a superlative gift. To her limited understanding no rational creature could feel otherwise than pleased over the present of a meaty mouse. Every sensible cat would be ravenously joyful with such an offering. Beings unable to appreciate a mouse for a meal were unknown to the cat.
"Are not our offerings to the Lord—our tithes and our other free will gifts—as thoroughly unnecessary to His needs as was the mouse to the scientist? But remember that the grateful and sacrificing nature of the cat was enlarged, and in a measure sanctified, by her offering.
"Thanks be to God that He gages the offerings and sacrifices of His children by the standard of their physical ability and honest intent rather than by the gradation of His esteemed station. Verily He is God with us; and He both understands and accepts our motives and righteous desires. Our need to serve God is incalculably greater than His need for our service."

(Improvement Era, Aug. 1916, pp. 875-876.)
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

This is another great talk - President Russell M. Nelson - "A More Excellent Hope" - BYU Speeches - January 8th, 1995 - President Nelson was married 50 years to his first wife at that time!. Here is a great quote on gratitude. I agree with President Nelson counting blessings is better than recounting problems. I still have my gratitude journal going and I love the hope it gives for the next day in my life.

https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/russell- ... lent-hope/
A correlation exists between hope and gratitude. To illustrate, let me share a personal experience. Last Thanksgiving, Sister Nelson and I hosted a memorable gathering. All of our locally available daughters, sons, and grandchildren were there, among others. We counted sixty-three people at the feast. As part of our after-dinner program, Sister Nelson distributed a sheet of paper to each individual, headed, “This year, I am thankful for. . .” The remainder of the page was blank. She asked each to complete the thought, either in writing or by drawing a picture. The papers were then collected, redistributed, and read aloud. We were asked to guess who composed each reply, which, incidentally, was not very difficult.

Meanwhile, I observed a pattern. Generally, the children were thankful for food, clothing, shelter, family (and, occasionally, pets). Their pictures were precious, though not likely to be shown in an art gallery. Our youth broadened their expressions to include gratitude for their country, freedom, and church. The adults noted most of those items, but in addition mentioned the temple, their love of the Lord, and appreciation for his atonement. Their hopes were combined with gratitude. Counting blessings is better than recounting problems.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

One of my go to scriptures when I'm overwhelmed is Proverbs 3:5 -
¶Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
However I was reading the next scripture Proverbs 3:6 -
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
I thought for around two hours while I was coming home from Utah, how do I acknowledge Him in all my ways? what is "all my ways"? the way I talk to people? the way I dress? the way I treat people? - certainly this scripture is related to gratitude.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I hadn't really considered verse 6 in that way before. How can I acknowledge him in everything about me? I like Google's third definition: "show that one has noticed or recognized (someone) by making a gesture..."

Can I make such a gesture in everything I do, wear, say, think...? I'd like to try.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

My heart has been full of gratitude of the goodness of a Heavenly Father who loves all his children and blesses them daily. We have witnessed these past few days the blessings of service and how connected service and a gratitude are. Every blessing we received came about from some service we provided, and after every blessing we received there was much gratitude expressed to Him that makes all things possible. In Alma 20, verses 29-30 - Ammon and Lamoni go to Middoni to free Aaron, Muloki and Ammah who are imprisoned for basically doing missionary work/service. Aaron and the rest were treated cruelly, "nevertheless they were patient in all their sufferings', how is one patient in all our sufferings?, when we are grateful and faithful for the opportunity to serve. I also love the part that it says "And, as it happened, it was their lot to have fallen into the hands of a more hardened and a more stiffnecked people" - sometimes our lot will be hard to bear but when we accept our lot with a grateful heart, our lot becomes lighter to bear. Aaron and friends were eventually delivered by Lamoni and Ammon. I should also start a "service" thread.
29 And when Ammon did meet them he was exceedingly sorrowful, for behold they were naked, and their skins were worn exceedingly because of being bound with strong cords. And they also had suffered hunger, thirst, and all kinds of afflictions; nevertheless they were patient in all their sufferings.

30 And, as it happened, it was their lot to have fallen into the hands of a more hardened and a more stiffnecked people; therefore they would not hearken unto their words, and they had cast them out, and had smitten them, and had driven them from house to house, and from place to place, even until they had arrived in the land of Middoni; and there they were taken and cast into prison, and bound with strong cords, and kept in prison for many days, and were delivered by Lamoni and Ammon.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I'm in the part of the Book of Mormon were Ammon is accused by Aaron of boasting when in fact he is being grateful for the success they have had in the conversion of the Lamanites. So if being grateful looks like boasting or rejoicing, I totally understand it.

Alma 26:35 Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all power, all wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.

36 Now if this is boasting, even so will I boast; for this is my life and my light, my joy and my salvation, and my redemption from everlasting wo. Yea, blessed is the name of my God, who has been mindful of this people, who are a branch of the tree of Israel, and has been lost from its body in a strange land; yea, I say, blessed be the name of my God, who has been mindful of us, wanderers in a strange land.

37 Now my brethren, we see that God is mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy, and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever. Amen.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I am very grateful for this talk by Elder Larry R. Lawrence - Choosing Happiness - BYU March 2016 - https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/larry-r- ... happiness/
Have you ever had a rush of gratitude come over you? Did you make a phone call or write a note or take time for a personal visit? Have you experienced the happiness that comes from saying thank you and feeling it with your whole heart?

My father died of cancer when I was just eighteen years old. I was not yet a member of the Church, and I didn’t have the sensitivity that the gift of the Holy Ghost can bring.

I never really took the opportunity to thank him for all that he had done for me before he passed away. Now I wish I had thanked him for coaching my Little League team and for teaching me not to lose my temper when our team didn’t win. I wish I had thanked him for working with me night after night when I was learning to read in the first grade. I wish I had thanked him for teaching me how to work and to value family.

Please don’t make the same mistake that I made. Thank your parents often while you still have the opportunity.

It doesn’t matter if your parents are not perfect. They still changed thousands of diapers and provided countless meals for you. They taught you how to walk and to talk and a million other things. They gave you plenty of rides and even let you learn to drive by practicing in their cars. They must have encouraged you to study—otherwise you would never have been accepted here at BYU. They deserve your heartfelt thanks, and someday you will realize it when you are doing all these things for someone else.

The prophet Nephi expressed gratitude for his parents in the very first verse of the Book of Mormon. He praised them by saying, “I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father” (1 Nephi 1:1). What a sweet tribute to Lehi and Sariah.

An excellent way to express gratitude is by giving sincere praise. Praise lifts both the giver and the receiver. Mark Twain said, “I can live for two months on a good compliment,” and most of us feel the same way.
This was an important reminder to me. So at this time I thank you all who have expressed your thoughts with a desired effort to be kind and patient...I know it's hard but I feel many of you are really trying. Thank you.
Angela

Post by Angela »

okay fine... I'm grateful for my parents, all of them, even the ones I don't know. Despite my best efforts, they're all helping to shape me into the person I know I should be. So thank you, your efforts haven't always been in vain. It's easy to be stubborn.
Steve

Post by Steve »

There is one point that was alluded to this morning by Brother Lorenzo Snow, in his remarks, which struck me with a great deal of force. It was in relation to the Saints entertaining a feeling of gratitude to God for the blessings he has bestowed upon us—that the Lord loves those who entertain such feelings, and who appreciate the blessings and kindness he bestows upon them. ...

It is right that we, as a people and as individuals, should be continually grateful to God for what he has done for us. Unless we appreciate these blessings, it is not likely they will be increased upon us—it is not reasonable that greater blessings than those already received will be bestowed upon us; but if we are humble, meek, and filled with thanksgiving and gratitude to our Father and God under all circumstances, appreciating and putting a high value on the mercies he extends unto us, it is more than probable that those blessings and mercies will be increased upon us according to our wants and necessities, and we shall still have increased cause for gratitude and thanksgiving before him. ...

The blessings of air, of water, of the earth—the blessings that all the family of man enjoy in common one with another—because they are so widely spread and so universally enjoyed, are not appreciated as are other blessings which are more confined in their application and in the result which attends them to the children of men. ...

Through the revelations of the truth, which have been made unto us, we are promised all that men and women could ask. All that God has ever promised to his faithful children we will receive, even every blessing that is necessary for our eternal happiness.... We cannot be too grateful; we cannot get to a point where there is a necessity for us to slacken in this respect; and the more we comprehend of the purposes of our God, the more grateful and more full of thanksgiving we will be. I notice that among those who are not as fully acquainted as they should be with the principles of the Gospel, there is more ingratitude and a greater disposition to murmur, and a greater lack of thankfulness, than among those who are educated—educated, I mean, in the knowledge of the truth, in the principles of life and salvation. I notice that among those who have the most experience, and have made the greatest advancement in the things of God, there is the greatest disposition to be thankful and grateful, and to pour out their souls in prayer before God; and I notice as the Saints increase in the knowledge of the truth, and the comprehension of the principles of life and salvation, their disposition in this direction increases with their knowledge.

(Elder George Q. Cannon, Remarks made in the Tabernacle, January 1, 1865)