Mr. Rogers

Post by Angela »

this is his song list... you can hear him sing. :purebliss:
Classics!

http://pbskids.org/rogers/songlist/song5_ra.html
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Thanks Angela, it's you I like. :)
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Every generation of youngsters needs to get a chance to experience the subtle genius behind Mister Rogers and his television programs. I also think that it is important for adults to watch the show. There are many parenting techniques that I think we would all do well to emulate, even in our non-parental relationships. Just look at the words of my favorite song.

There are many ways to say I love you.
There are many ways to say I care about you.
Many ways, many ways,
Many ways to say I love you.

There's the singing ways to say I love you.
There's the singing something someone really likes to hear.
The singing way, the singing way,
The singing way to say I love you.

Cleaning up a room can say I love you.
Hanging up a coat before you're asked to.
Drawing special pictures for the holidays
And making plays.

You'll find many ways to say I love you.
You'll find many ways to understand what love is.
Many ways, many ways,
Many ways to say I love you.

Singing, cleaning, drawing, being understanding,
Love you.

I wish more people like mister rogers existed. But unfortunately they don't. I think some people think my obsession with him is some sort of frivolous joke, but just for the record, he's on the top ten list of "people I want to meet when I die".
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Amen!!!
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
John

Post by John »

Betsy, I think no one thinks of your admiration as frivolous. I for one, am glad that you revere that kind of large-hearted soul. I think you would do well in certain respects to hold Mr R. up as a model for some things you might look for in a husband. I think that in many regards, Mr. Rogers embodies what is meant by the injunction to "become as a little child."
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Steve

Post by Steve »

In 1969, the US Senate held hearings about funding for the newly formed Corporation for Public Broadcasting. A $20 million grant, proposed by former President Lyndon Johnson was in jeopardy. President Richard Nixon wanted that amount cut in half. The hearings were chaired by Senator John Pastore. Mr. Rogers was given time to speak...

This was the first time I'd heard this, and it really moved me. He was a good man.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Angela

Post by Angela »

thanks Steve, for that video. It's always wonderful to watch Mister Rogers talk, he really is an admirable man. His love and concern for children is heartwarming.
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

just for the record (again) all those stupid rumors you hear about Mr. Rogers being a chain smoker and all that crud is absolutely not true. People have been trying to spread these things for ages. Go to this link:

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp

So yeah, don't believe it for a second when people try to rag on Mister Rogers. He's my home skillet.
John

Post by John »

Thanks, Steve. my eyes are swimming. What a remarkable and noble man he was; perhaps the greatest advocate for children in recent memory. ... right up there in the pantheon of good men, honest men, visionary men, christlike men.

Here's my "off-the-top-of-my-head" list of five. I'm thinking of people - not just men - other than those affiliated with the church, who seem, in spite of their human flaws, to have truly embodied the kind of honor, care, love, and largeness of heart illustrated in the video.

Fred Rogers
Abraham Lincoln
John and Abigail Adams
Mother Theresa
Florence Nightingale

Any other submissions?
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Thanks Steve. That was great. Thank you, too, Betsy. Now I can dispell some of the terrible rumors about mr. Rogers that have been going around at work.
Widerstehe doch der Sünde
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

Thanks Steve, sniff, sniff...I can't tell you how many times I have been touched by watching the Mr. Roger's show. I always hoped my daughters would marry someone as kind and good as Mr.Rogers, thankfully one daughter has already. Betsy, thank you for your wonderful input and bringing us back to who Mr. Rogers really is. :love:
Edward

Post by Edward »

Mr. Rogers should have a masive statue erected of him right in Washington D.C. He's one of the best Americans since Lincoln!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Steve

Post by Steve »

When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Tuly

Re: Mr. Rogers

Post by Tuly »

Oh, I wish I could go to this event.
Come on down and tour The Neighborhood on November 7 and 8!

Thanks to funding provided by The Children’s Institute of Pittsburgh, free tours of Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood of Make-Believe will be available from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, November 7 and Sunday, November 8. Set pieces from Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood will be reconstructed in the Fred Rogers Studio at WQED, including King Friday XIII’s Castle, “X” the Owl and Henrietta Pussycat’s Tree; Curator Lady Elaine Fairchilde’s Museum Go-Round; Cornflake S. Pecially’s “Rockit” Factory; and Grandpere’s Eiffel Tower.

An additional bonus will be the personal appearance of Mr. McFeely, the “Speedy Delivery” messenger man who appeared on Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. Mr. McFeely will be on hand for pictures and autographs throughout the weekend.

This is the last time that the set pieces from the Neighborhood will be available for public display – your last chance to share with your family and friends the legacy of Fred Rogers and all he has done for children and families over the years. We expect a great turnout for the event, and we hope you will be able to share the experience with us.

For more information on this very special weekend, directions and parking information, please log on to http://www.wqed.org/neighborhood-of-make-believe/.
Tuly

Re: Mr. Rogers

Post by Tuly »

So how do we feel about the new Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood?

http://pbskids.org/daniel/