Parent Reading Resource List

Discuss and review your favorite books here.
Tuly

Parent Reading Resource List

Post by Tuly »

I will start posting some of the parent education books that I have found worthwhile reading. As I said before there will be things that you might find useful and some that you will totally disagree in theory. If some of you have read these books please post your comments about them. I'm also adding when these books were first published, so you can get an idea of how well their theories have lasted through time. Please add other parent ed books that you have found useful.

1. Children: The Challenge (1963) - by Rudolf Dreikurs M.D. and R.N. Soltz

2. The Hurried Child: Growing Up Too Fast Too Soon (1981) - by David Elkind

3. Endangered Minds - Why Children Don't Think and What We Can Do About It (1990) - by Jane M. Healy Ph.D.

4. Raising Self-reliant Children in a Self-Indulgent World: Seven Building Blocks for Developing Capable Young People (1989) - by Stephen Glenn and Jane Nelson

5. Teach Your Own (1981) - by John Holt
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Ian
Site Admin

Re: Parent Reading Resource List

Post by Ian »

these are all good, though i wouldn't have children the challenge at the top of the list. miseducation by david elkind would be very high on my list. also how children learn and how children fail by john holt. i might also add raising cain by kindlon and thompson (for boys).
so let it be written... so let it be done.