The moment you been waiting for!

All registered users can post here.
Edward

Post by Edward »

Torte, tort, tart, I think they're all wrong. The correct word for Betsy's recipe is oh my heavenly goodness. Please get it right next time friends, because oh man, is it good!!!!! :P
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
John

Post by John »

Hey Susannah,
I'll see your snobbery (I give you fair warning - THIS IS A JOKE)and raise you one.
:lecture: In Germany, (the source for this recipe), as opposed to perhaps France and England, where your definition is likely correct, this recipe most definitely ranks as a Torte. In that fair land, any cake or cookie base that is spread with fruit /nuts/etc in this manner and in this size, is a Torte. This may also be accounted for due to linguistic issues. In the German language there's only one word for such dishes. We in the English-speaking world will take all comers - especially if they're European.(sort of like anyone with an English accent being paid immediate deference in this country) So the French and English versions will likely be labeled as torte or tart as the case may be. But a distinctly German version, such as this specific recipe would need its native appelation: Torte.
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

Gretchen's apple torte is definetely German in origin like most of her recipes, seeing how her family is indeed, German. I shall write her a note exclaiming the success of this recipe; right now she is in Berlin :pirate:
Oh! Susanna

Post by Oh! Susanna »

okay, I'll eat some humble pie-or torte. But if that's the case, can we start calling it "Bayerischer apfel torte"?
Edward

Post by Edward »

Bless you!
Lili

Post by Lili »

whatever it is, it's amazing!
I haven't checked yet, Lily--have you put up your amazing fresh salsa recipe? and what about your flour tortilla recipe? While I'm at it...this would be a great place for Mindy to post her lasagna recipe (and any other Italian delights) that I've been meaning to get from her these past 3+ years!
Last edited by Lili on Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I feel strongly that the visual arts are of vast importance. Of course, I could be prejudiced. I am a visual art!"
-Kermit the Frog
John

Post by John »

Go for it. But it would need to be spelled "Bayerische Apfeltorte".
As for myself, I'm content with the original title that Betsy gave her recipe, since it was as correct as any subsequent offerings and because it came from the original source - Gretchen -
Angela

Post by Angela »

I say edward's title is the most appropriate!
John

Post by John »

:worship:
John

Post by John »

Several of you made mention of the "Nusskuchen" recipe. It has now been entered on the "recipe" page, and is ready for consumption. Enjoy.
Aunt Betsy

Post by Aunt Betsy »

Hurray, huzzah, HOOray--for all the recipes, but most immediately for the Nusskuchen and that heavenly goodness tart torte.
Un oeuf is enough.
John

Post by John »

It is a DOOZY. We can't get enough of it. :purebliss:
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

o.k - I'm working on our meal menu for the this month. This is the time to get your requests in, for what you would like to have for dinner, I can also repeat some of the dinners if you are not here for some of our dinner extravanganzas :wink:
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Edward

Post by Edward »

I really want Mom's meatloaf, lots of mashed potatoes and rolls, Little Ceasar's and In-N-Out, and maybe Minestrone soup with ground meat sometime.

Oh, and can we PLEASE have something besides potato cheese soup on Christmas Eve?!? For once in my life? PLEASE?!?!?
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

no.
so let it be written... so let it be done.