ELECTRONIC MAFIA! - Game no. 1

All registered users can post here.
Cousin Alex Hall

ELECTRONIC MAFIA! - Game no. 1

Post by Cousin Alex Hall »

So here's what we do. Y'all say who of y'all is playing. Then I declare in a post who is who - who is mafia, citizen, and medic. I hide it this way, by posting a name followed by some gibberish in white text, the text appearing invisible against the white background like this -

YOUR MOM: EIMGUYGIOR*MAFIA*AFOIJOIN

- but if you click and drag your mouse accross your name and the text after it, the text becomes visible to you, and you can see your designation. Does that work? Can you not see it now, and only if you highlight it with your mouse?

We follow all the rules per normal. Each round (which will be at my lunch time each day), the mafia and medic privately email me [edit: assignments will be recieved via your login's private message box] to announce their murder/save decisions. Then we debate in this thread who is who, and start another round, until someone wins.

Eh?
You refer to the prophecy of the pastry that will bring Balance to the Force. And you believe it's this.. Donut?
Our possibly neglected blog - My blog of probably mostly my art
Betsy

Post by Betsy »

yah, little betsy's all about the games!
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

yahoo! I love games
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

actually i can pretty much see the white text even at a glance... not that i'm trying to cheat or anything! what about personal messaging the players, maybe?

or i can look into a mod for the forum that would allow for invisible text. i think i remember seeing some mods like that somewhere...
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Yeah, the only other option is to find out the hex code for the background color (which is an off-white/gray) and change the text to that color.
Last edited by Steve on Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Cousin Alex Hall

I don't think IM would really work because it's not a guaranteed thing the recipient will be online with their IM when I send it out.

I had thought of Steve's idea; I think that works better.

Or I might be able to make things hard to decipher but still decipherable by scrambling "leet" in with real words and garbage. Leet is what spammers use to get past filters - making a word one character off, usually with a similar-looking character. In this case the only word appearing in the string that is not leet would be your game role. I can also use smaller text. Does this do the trick? -

BUBBA: c1tizen&840xy9(m^fia#m3dic&citi2en#m3dic|maf1a(medic&c1tizen&citi2en(m^fia
Last edited by Cousin Alex Hall on Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
You refer to the prophecy of the pastry that will bring Balance to the Force. And you believe it's this.. Donut?
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

bubba?!? did someone have a baby that i don't know about?
Cousin Alex Hall

No that's just a random name I picked - but I have a friend who calls their kid that. I just modified my prior post a little.
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

should we have a forum just for games like this? would this be the only game that we play? or are there other ideas...
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

bubba is the name that angela gave to oliver's reflection in the mirror by the way. oliver likes bubba.

sorry, off topic. :thwak: back to the game talk.
Last edited by Ian on Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emma

Post by Emma »

YAY i love games! :purebliss:
The pants say: Just say no!
Cousin Alex Hall

should we have a forum just for games like this? would this be the only game that we play? or are there other ideas...
I dunno, that might be cool. It had just occured to me that Mafia could be easily adapted to a forum.
Cousin Alex Hall

So back to my question: Are these non-decipherable at a glance but decipherable upon examination? Again, the only complete words without odd substitute characters would be your game role.

ASSIGNMENT: c1tizen&840xy9(m^fia#m3dic&citi2en#m3dic|maf1a(medic&c1tizen&citi2en(m^fia
arxpoetica

Post by arxpoetica »

'Tis pretty easy to make out the word "c1tizen" or whatever it says there...BUBBA!
“It is the duty of a Saint of God to gain all the influence he can on this earth, and to use every particle of that influence to do good. If this is not his duty, I do not understand what the duty of man is.” — Brigham Young
Cousin Alex Hall

Ha ha!

That shows it's indecipherable. "Or whatever it says." The assignment in it - the only word that didn't have a character off, was "medic".

Since we've got six here, which is enough for a good round, until we find a way to make easy assignments, I'll either email or IM two mafia and one medic with their assignments. If you recieve no assignment you are a citizen. I'll let you know when the round begins.