The Shoe Books by Noel Streatfeild

Discuss and review your favorite books here.
Tuly

The Shoe Books by Noel Streatfeild

Post by Tuly »

I just read Ballet Shoes (1937) by Noel Streatfeild. This book is one of Streatfeild's series The Shoe Books.
By
Kind Bean "can't read enough" (New England, USA) -
This review is from: Ballet Shoes (The Shoe Books) (Paperback)
I loved this book! It is the story of three orphans, Pauline, Petrova, and Posy, who are adopted by an older man who is gone during most of the book. After going through most of the money that he has left for their care until his return, the three sisters attend a special school of the arts. There they can learn to act, dance, and sing; then they can get jobs in different performances making money. Pauline falls in love with acting, Posy is a natural dancer, and poor Petrova would rather fix cars and learn to fly planes than be on stage. All the characters are wonderful and a joy to read about, the story is unique and charming. I simply didn't want it to end. The sisters are fun characters that children will love to read about. Adults will enjoy this story just as much.
I guess since we are involved in the theater it was somewhat painful to read young children so immersed into it. I guess I can look at it as fantasy. Other than that it is a good read.

This is her website -

http://www.whitegauntlet.com.au/noelstreatfeild/
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31