Happy Feet = Propaganda

All registered users can post here.
Ian
Site Admin

Happy Feet = Propaganda

Post by Ian »

i have not seen the movie so this is not a review. but from the grapevine i've heard that this movie preaches the following messages: religion is bad, parents are stupid, and fishing is evil. i have seen the commercials, and i'm inclined to believe that they are insidious. i don't think this is going to be good for kids.

so do you think i'm being paranoid/fanatic? i guess you'll have to see the movie to find out.... you've been warned!
:mwahaha:
so let it be written... so let it be done.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Haha, Lily just got through telling me that Ian wouldn't like this movie, since Rotten Tomatoes' critics report that it contains some propaganda about deep-sea fishing.

I didn't hear about the anti-religion, anti-parents message, though. I guess you should never trust a tap-dancing penguin.
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

o.k ...so i still love penguins, even if they have a political agenda :emperor:
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Steve

Post by Steve »

Oops, I started my own thread on Happy Feet before remembering that there was already a thread dealing with this film.

I thought the film had its moments (many of which were seen in the trailer before even going to see the movie). There were some decent parts.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who felt there was more to it than dancing penguins. The film was not only environmental propaganda, but also an anti-religion production (and pro-homosexual). The environmentalist agenda I could handle because hey, we need to take care of the planet. That's ok. However, the other agendas...not a fan.

Anyone see it and not feel that the film had these hidden agendas?
When God can do what he will with a man, the man may do what he will with the world.     ~George MacDonald
Edward

Post by Edward »

I don't think they were hidden, really, at least not the environmental issues. It made a point, and lets viewers think about it. It's not subversively "save the environment you littering pigs," but rather says look, here's an issue, are we going to deal with it? And then, I feel it was against religious elitism and condemnatory dogmas, which is legitimate, but I don't think it was trying to say religion was evil. just blind traditions and archaic ritualism, which to some extend we believe also, though admittedly not as much as the rogue penguins. As for the homosexualism, um, I didn't see that in the film, but I guess I can see where one would get it. I thought it was ok, but it's wasn't the best I've seen. And of course I'm biased, because I thought the conservationalist message was GREAT, as it was open ended without being preachy or guilt-driven (can we say Bambi?).
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"
:gandalf2:
Steve

Post by Steve »

I think it was DEFINITELY guilt-driven. How are humans described by the falcons? How are they portrayed? What is their role in the film?

I think it was DEFINITELY trying to say that religion is evil. The "elders" warn Mumble about his pagan ways and the fact that he is angering the Great Penguin in the Sky...which of course is supposed to come across as absurd, both to the youth and to the audience. Eventually we find a very scientific explanation for everything...the religious lot was fooled all along. Power to the individual!

And when the "ridiculous" religious characters tell Mumble to hold fast to the community and be strong as a united body, Mumble tells them that they can't change what he was born as and that he frankly doesn't want to change. His parents should also understand that you can't change things that you're born with and that they should love him for who he is.

This sounds pretty intentional, whether the director was the one intending to get the message across, or whether there was a force directing him. If you know what I mean.
Tuly

Post by Tuly »

I am embarressed to admit that I only liked Happy Feet because I LOVE :purebliss: penguins and good dancing music. There seems to be an abundance of children's movies that are constantly making the statement, why can you love as I am not as society wants me to be or accept my wrong choices. I admit that this turning alot of our youth to be overly indulged youth, with serious issues to match.
"Condemn me not because of mine imperfection,... but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been." Mormon 9:31
Oh! Susanna

Post by Oh! Susanna »

I could almost see a rainbow colored flag waving across the top of the screen through most of the movie.

I personally enjoyed parts of it, probably would have enjoyed it more had it not been so didactic. I can handle subversive messages better when they are subtle and clever :)

I think my kids came out unscathed, they didn't seem to grasp the deeper message. Libby just thought it was stupid.
Angela

Post by Angela »

please tell me what specifically you saw as homosexual.
Edward

Post by Edward »

I think it's sad that any message about being who you are is so often taken as a reference to homosexuality in today's society. While the message is possibly there (though I fail to see it), I didn't see any evidence that that was the intent of the movie. Implied though it may have been, I can't see where it could have been the specific desire of the film-makers to promote a homosexual lifestyle.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I think it was. Name one other major issue they could be referring to when the film focuses so much on the parents' shock and surprise. The parents even go so far as to let him be banished. For dancing? Please...how in the world does that relate to real life?

Next up--the religious group. Why is the religious group up in arms about his inability to sing? That same reaction doesn't happen in the real world. So there must be a deeper issue that the dancing represents.

These are not fun-loving children producing this film. They know very well what they're doing.
Edward

Post by Edward »

But in the real world, penguins don't talk! Penguins don't dance! Why, they don't even have a religious hierarchy that we know of! :readthebook:

I know what the REAL issue is. You people are all......PENGUIN HATERS! *gasp* After seeing March of the Penguins, your hearts were hardened and you turned against them! Now you seek to bring down Antarctica and rule it for yourselves! Traitors! Murderers! You shall not avail!!!!! :lightsaber:
John

Post by John »

prevail?
"Music's golden tongue flatter'd to tears this aged man and poor."
Steve

Post by Steve »

Edward, you only strengthened the point I'm making. You're absolutely right. Penguins don't talk. Penguins don't dance. And like you say, they don't practice organized religion. But they do it in the film. They're not behaving naturally -- they're imitating humans. As a result, this film isn't about penguins. It's about humans...it's just being told with penguins much like a fable or parable uses other things to teach.

So disregard the species used to represent us and acknowledge the human issues they necessarily must be addressing in imitating us. See my previous post...
Ian
Site Admin

Post by Ian »

i'm curious to know where the homosexual slant came from. are you saying that the shock and surprise of the parents led you to believe that the movie is sending a message about homosexuality? i'm confused. i haven't seen the movie, so I can't say for myself whether homosexuality was an issue. can we get some specifics?
so let it be written... so let it be done.